PDA

View Full Version : Turning circle

Brind
30-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Just curious..

I have a 200SX which has an amazing turning circle!!!! so amazing I managed to oversteer it once and ended up some where I didn't want to be.

The turning circle on the VR-4 is terrible! okay it is extremely direct and I doubt there is a chance of oversteer, but just when you think you have enough space to turn around you haven't! and end up having to shuffle to do that tight turn instead.

Is this a common thing with 4x4 cars etc?

Roadrunner
31-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Yep, it seems to be although I'm not sure why exactly. I did think at one time that it was because of the front driveshafts limiting the angle that the front wheels could turn by, but Volvos are front-wheel drive and have good turning circles.

Could be to minimise the strain on the transmission by not allowing too much wind-up of the diffs in a tight circle.

Brian

Brind
31-05-2003, 08:22 PM
Oh right, thanks.

I've driven Passat's and an Audi with front wheel drive and they had fairly good turning circles, although tend to feel as though they are losing speed around fast corners.

Pescha
31-05-2003, 10:16 PM
That was the first thing we noticed about my legnum the turning circle:grrr: My hubby owns a 1972 R/T charger and the turning circle is heaps better than my car! And my car is younger by miles and heavier!...

But I suppose its one of the small sacrifices we have to make to own one of these beautiful beasts :thumb:

Cheers,
Pescha!

Pescha
31-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Pescha
And my car is younger by miles and heavier!...

Ooops his car is heavier duh! lol :D

Pescha

Brind
31-05-2003, 10:22 PM
You can edit your posts Pescha, thus avoiding mistakes.. ;)

Pescha
01-06-2003, 01:12 AM
:o Thank you :o Brind oops!

Pescha :)

Nigelator
08-01-2004, 10:24 AM
I absolutely hate the turing on my damn Legnum!
Would so lov to open up my turning agle, has anyone changed or altered the wheel turn lock stops?
Or would this be killing the diff?
My mates got a 4WD subi and a tire shop guy gave him tires that were a larger diameter for the frontINSERT INTO post VALUES (the rear were still quite new); and almost two weeks later his gear box packed up on him, and here in NZ there is almost no help for the poor guy.

I had a Honda Integra '90 Vtec b4 this one and it had ok-moderate turning, But,,,,

B4 that I had a Toyota Tercel '87 Station wagon INSERT INTO post VALUES (nothing like the '96+ Tercels) but acuterly it was the '87 version of the Carib!.......and that had turning like u can only get on a Push Bike!.....and I say this literaly! that the Front wheels fell ova when turning.....when turning --> the would fall like this /--/ execpt the inner would angle just a bit more.
This car was also a 4WD,,,, well it was front wheel drive till u engaged the center contecting shaft,,,,there was no center diffINSERT INTO post VALUES (only front and rear) lol cause if you drove on tarseal u would bonce around with the wheels sliping as the wheels did diffrent distances.

Damn loved that car with all its bum ****s.

Nick Mann
08-01-2004, 02:13 PM
My V6-24 had a better turning circle than my VR4. It caught me out a couple of times after getting it! I assumed that if they limited the turning circle on the VR4, they did it for a reason.

KiwiTT
09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
My mates got a 4WD subi and a tire shop guy gave him tires that were a larger diameter for the frontINSERT INTO post VALUES (the rear were still quite new); and almost two weeks later his gear box packed up on him, and here in NZ there is almost no help for the poor guy.

Thats why I always buy my tyres in sets of 4. It is especially important in a 4WD as they should all rotate at exactly the same speed. There may even be some slight manufacturer differences between Yoko 225/45 17" and Goodyear 225/45 17". Therefore stick to the same brand and size when replacing.

Your mate certainly got an expensive lesson. Can he talk to the Tire person, who made the mistake in the first place ?

zedy1
09-01-2004, 11:52 PM
the turning circle is the wrst thing about the car and some times gets you embrassed when trying to do a u turn and end up doing a 3 point turn

SGHOM
09-01-2004, 11:55 PM
the turning circle is the wrst thing about the car and some times gets you embrassed when trying to do a u turn and end up doing a 3 point turn
or even a five point turn !! :$ :$

Brind
10-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Maybe BigDave can make up a hydraulic rotating stand! simply push a button and the car heads for the sky at the same time as turning on the spot Inspector Gadget style. :D

Nigelator
10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Big Dave can u give me a quote?
u better do instation too

do u hav a workshop in NZ?

The guy with the Subie
I told him to go and complain to them and the MTA, I dont think he did as his mum just forked out the money to get it fixed, but he said he did and they couldn't/wouldn't help him.