PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timer

gazz
14-02-2009, 02:04 AM
I have just bought a turbo timer for my 96 vr4 tiptronic and I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction for wiring!

It has 5 wires.

Red: Idle (key off) +ve 12v

Yellow: Ig (key on) +ve 12v

Blue: ACC or Ig2 +ve 12v

Black: Earth

Brown: Handbrake switch

Now the red, yellow and Black make sense to me, the other 2 dont! Especially the handbrake switch as I never use the hand brake, the instructions say that the timer will not operate inless the hand brake is on, I'm guessing that could be bypassed by connecting that wire to a permanent live?

if anyone can shed any light on this it would be much apreciated!

apeman69
14-02-2009, 04:10 AM
Try googling for the manufacturer of your timer.

When I installed mine I got the wiring harness with the timer and it was a simple case of removing the plastic dashboard trim around the steering column, finding the ignition switch plug connector and plugging the wiring harness in series into this connector.
The handbrake wire is there so that if the engine is running and the timer is operating with the ignition switched off/key out and the handbrake is dropped then the engine will cut out immediately, thus bypassing the turbo timer. It is a safety/anti-theft device and is there to stop somebody driving the car away when you've activated the timer and left the car. (Im guessing manufacturers reckon that most people do use the handbrake, unlike you!)
I can't remember whether the handbrake wire needs 12V or earth to perform this function but simple testing should suffice.
BTW I hope your turbo timer is compatible with your alarm system. Mine isn't so I can either not use the timer and set the alarm when I leave the car or use the timer and wait until the engine stops before locking the doors and setting the alarm.
Turbo timers aren't really a necessity on these cars and I only fitted mine because it was free and looks good and I wanted something to do!

bradc
16-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Or even better sell it and get rid of it.

Our turbos are water cooled and coupled with modern synthetic oils there is no need to run a turbo timer.