PDA

View Full Version : Hailing from Dominican Republic

muchoalcohol
16-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Hey guys, just picked up a 2002 VR4 Type V about a week ago. Trying to read up on it as much as possible. This is my first turbo car, I'm very impressed. I will be keeping you guys posted on my experience. As far as I know, there are only three or four VR4's down here in Dominican Republic, so there's very little local info I can dig up.

So far, there are two things that concern me with my car. First, the "traction control off" light is on, as well as the check engine, and the switch on the dash doesn't do anything. Took it to the shop this weekend and they checked everything and said it was fine. They didn't have a scanner that fit, but tod me to go back later this week, and they'd have one for me.

Second, there's a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust the first few minutes after startup, and it smells a bit like burnt oil. This car only has 56k on the odometer and looks like it's in excellent shape.

What do you guys think?

bradc
16-02-2009, 08:57 AM
You can actually pull the codes out yourself by shorting out pin 1 of the diagnostic connector. There is an article on how to do it somewhere around the place.

Doesn't sound like you have a 2002 car though with TCL, can you show us a pic of it?

muchoalcohol
17-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry I haven't posted the pics yet. We've been having crappy weather lately (rain). Ok, figured out what the burnt oil smell was. It was some sort of lube on the exhaust pipes. Thats gone now.

Physician
17-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi buddy ....... welcome to the Club.

Regarding dashboard lights, try disconnecting battery for 5 minutes and see if they are still on after reconnection ....... HOWEVER - firstly get the existing fault codes off the connector under steering wheel/dashboard or they will get wiped.

muchoalcohol
23-02-2009, 07:11 PM
These are pics of the car. Sorry about the quality, they were taken with my cell phone

muchoalcohol
23-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Pics of the changed steering wheel (we drive on the right hand side of the road). And pics of the dash with the check engine/ TCL off lights

martin_y
23-02-2009, 09:01 PM
A small bit of smoke from the exhaust is normal on start up - we all have it. Its a small oil residual thats left in the turbos after shut down.

bradc
23-02-2009, 11:37 PM
That is a 96-98 prefacelift car. If you'd like the exact build date, PM me your chassis number.

muchoalcohol
25-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks alot guys

bradc
25-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Turns out it was a very early VR-4, lower than ec5a-0001000