PDA

View Full Version : R/H Inner Wall Mounted Subwoofer Install

VR4WGN
17-02-2009, 05:07 AM
ok heres a rough drawing to give you the idea i had(STEVE),um leme know what you think,its rough i know, but you should be able to work off it.
um regarding amp mounting,this can be done once we complete our sub box.

idea is to produce this box as a standart fitment system for any Legnum and possibly with a Galant too..
the concept of mounting the amp depends on the user as some preferr visible setup nd some like myself preferr hidden but vented area mounting

so please evryone lets get some ideas and i can make it happen,im VERY interested in getting this project under way

scott.mohekey
17-02-2009, 06:10 AM
I have something similar in mdf on the left side, but the amp is under the passenger seat. I like it, but would it be better on the left side out of the way of the ayc pump/reservoir?

CANDEE
17-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Looks ok, only issue is that the AYC reservoir is right where the box is sitting...

A rebuilt tray with the amp included in it would be my best suggestion. Thought about 2 8's in the rear tray in my old leggie many times..

pu-11-me
17-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Mookers (Derek) on OzVR4 has this setup.... You might PM him if you need assistance :)

VR4WGN
17-02-2009, 10:58 AM
yea i was ware of the ayc resivour but in that it can be made for the left hand side ,not a problem,i thort originally the left but i got the idea of some having the stacker in it but then just realized now that subs wudnt run on factory headdecks lol,dumb me ,blame it on my cancer ...

pu-11-me
17-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Is this what you were going for? (In a roundabout way lol)

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31966&postcount=61

VR4WGN
17-02-2009, 07:37 PM
um roughly BUT not like that,the item ill be fabricating will be molded to the interior and the inner wall so it looks the part and wont be able to fall over etc like that one can,thanx

CANDEE
17-02-2009, 08:37 PM
yea i was ware of the ayc resivour but in that it can be made for the left hand side ,not a problem,i thort originally the left but i got the idea of some having the stacker in it but then just realized now that subs wudnt run on factory headdecks lol,dumb me ,blame it on my cancer ...
There are ways and mean of making it work on the factory h/u dude... :p

pu-11-me
17-02-2009, 11:37 PM
um roughly BUT not like that,the item ill be fabricating will be molded to the interior and the inner wall so it looks the part and wont be able to fall over etc like that one can,thanx

That'd be awesome.... Can't wait to see the end results

There are ways and mean of making it work on the factory h/u dude... :p

Yup! Having the right amp helps haha

CANDEE
18-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Yup! Having the right amp helps haha
I can do it with "normal" amps too.. :P

VR4WGN
18-02-2009, 09:36 AM
ok i had a very long and educational day at SSS tomorrow my skills go to test installing my 1st ever full optiond Alarm into a car,bit scared but am confident,had a good trainer lol.. um also we did the math on the sub box and we have a winning figure we will be making a box,then perfecting it,then sculpting it,kittn it with the subs(variouse sizes ofcourse) then tweaking it until its perfect and then it will be a str8 kitset fit for all vr4 lovers,but however we have determind that the amp shud go under th seat tho,to allow the sub box to easly be removed if it needs to be,give input and ideas please people's

Turbo_Steve
18-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow! That's a seriously large "drop in" box: For that layout I'd agree with the above, and go for using it on the LHS of the car. That box would be big enough to take a single 12" or possibly a pair of 10"!!

Someone on here managed to find out that Mitsi originally had a factory-fit (or probably dealer fit) option for an 8" sub that sat flush with the existing boot trim, and didn't interfere with the existing cubby holes.

I reckon that the box you have drawn there would probably sell a fair few units to those who want to just "drop one in", so would definitely do one of those for the left side of the boot.

However, I reckon at least 50% of the guys on here would be happy to remove the carpet on the Right Hand side if it meant they could fit an 8", or possibly 10" speaker into a specially shaped box that didn't lose ANY boot space at all.
http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=68628&source=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK - cheapie for just a little boom.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5046.html - the mack-daddy of slimness: it doesn't even require a very big box, but will benefit hugely from a sealed enclosure rather than panel mounting. It's not the loudest sub in the world but will do for most of us IMO.

Just a suggestion for a "second" product. As were putting pushchairs in the back, I know which I would choose.

VR4WGN
18-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Wow! That's a seriously large "drop in" box: For that layout I'd agree with the above, and go for using it on the LHS of the car. That box would be big enough to take a single 12" or possibly a pair of 10"!!

Someone on here managed to find out that Mitsi originally had a factory-fit (or probably dealer fit) option for an 8" sub that sat flush with the existing boot trim, and didn't interfere with the existing cubby holes.

I reckon that the box you have drawn there would probably sell a fair few units to those who want to just "drop one in", so would definitely do one of those for the left side of the boot.

However, I reckon at least 50% of the guys on here would be happy to remove the carpet on the Right Hand side if it meant they could fit an 8", or possibly 10" speaker into a specially shaped box that didn't lose ANY boot space at all.
http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=68628&source=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK - cheapie for just a little boom.

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5046.html - the mack-daddy of slimness: it doesn't even require a very big box, but will benefit hugely from a sealed enclosure rather than panel mounting. It's not the loudest sub in the world but will do for most of us IMO.

Just a suggestion for a "second" product. As were putting pushchairs in the back, I know which I would choose.

hey man,i fully uderstand and yes we have the exteme thinline pioneers and other brands too,if you get me a ic of the style(factory)one i can make som calcultions,i personally agree with the factory look but some preferr big bangs,not me tho,myt just rewake the cancer bugs lol....also 1 problem is the fuel filler is on the r/h side so minimises some reeom,but i dont think the fctory sub wouldv been sealed??
thanx
~Q~

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2009, 01:26 AM
It probably wouldn't have been sealed, it's true, but you will definitely get a lot more from a properly sealed box.
However, size wise, this should give you an idea what sort of volume you need:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Subwoofers/Enclosures-Grilles/UD-SW8U

It doesn't even need to be a square box.

Unfortunately, each speaker has its own unique requirements for enclosure size.

Will try and get you some suggested sizes, though.
Alternative idea is to tailor the box for a specific speaker and supply it with it?

VR4WGN
19-02-2009, 09:26 PM
yea steve your onto it,if i am going to supply the unit,it will come with either Rockford or Pioneer or Kicker,um we have the flush mounts aswell,umi can design a box for flushmount sub and a box for standard,as the original plan, ideas tho on supplying the flush mount box with the cutout liner or not?? some people get blade happy and cut away lol

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Well, you could simply do it on exchange? So if someone gives you their liner you provide them with a cut one, or let them do it themselves?

Looking at the depth in that wing, I'd be tempted to do two models: The cheapie "Pyramid" 8" subs are about $20 and in a decent box will make enough noise.

Then do a a more serious $120 sub in there, tune the box to suit and have a "louder" option.

Damn I wish I could bring my car over to you for prototyping LOL! :D

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Oh..had another idea, btw....everyone's Engine Covers are broken....reckon you could make up some stronger ones for non-silly money?

VR4WGN
20-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Oh..had another idea, btw....everyone's Engine Covers are broken....reckon you could make up some stronger ones for non-silly money?

who knows where the future might lead heheh,but personally if i enterd the UK again im afraid id be taking charge of the clubs like i usedto lol,and wudnt get any work done heheh,um engine covers hmmm,um fibreglass may be an option but ill have to check tempratures graph as i wudnt want it warpn... ubt yea,remind me in 2 weeks lol..yea well that sub story wud be available in a 8,10,12,15 so the boxes will be pre-made and then the apropriate box wil lbe thn made up to suit the specs asked for.

i think ill make 3 for myself a 10,12,15 ,but ill use shallow mount subs

VR4WGN
22-02-2009, 12:39 AM
ok so using the litre calculatorhavin a stadard box ti fit in the LH side where the pocket is is proving impossible,so next step will be to have a box that will drop down the side of the shell to add extra volume.
as for sub sizes a 8" and 10 " Pioneer Shallow mounts are going to be the best at this point.
keeping original look to the car aswell will cause the side cover panel area to be converted into a solid wall(as has the pocket in it),so im hoping i can delamenate the molding and apply a new face.
anymore input or ideas wil be great thanx
~Q~

fluffnik
22-02-2009, 01:32 AM

I'd sign up for one of those! :)

Big Ian
22-02-2009, 02:00 AM
let's face it, if you have an estate style car then 98% of the time you need it for the space and if you were to need a little more bass sound without giving up to much space would one of these not do just as well?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blaupunkt-THb-200A-sub-Active-subwoofer-140W-slim-fit_W0QQitemZ400027253807QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud io_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_Car_Spe akers_PP?hash=item400027253807&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clarion-SRV-313-Slim-Design-17-CM-6-3-4-Active-Sub_W0QQitemZ250356246333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Aud io_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_Car_Spe akers_PP?hash=item250356246333&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOSS-AUDIO-BASS600-600W-ACTIVE-BASS-SUB-AMP-BUILT-IN_W0QQitemZ260362223065QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audi o_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_Car_Spea kers_PP?hash=item260362223065&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

PS: i'm only adding this as i was wanting more BASS sound in my Supra and even trying to fit a 12" sub-box in it is almost imposable without it being on show to just any old passer by! (ned/chav "A-hole" etc)

VR4WGN
22-02-2009, 02:44 AM
whats the bass like out of it?? im hoping the people interested in htis type of setup are like me just looking for the completion of the sound,not bass extreme

VR4WGN
22-02-2009, 02:49 AM
ok so i did some work on this system and this is what i came up with.pics are only rough work,not actual sizing.
and these mesurements will not potrude past factory finishings,so itll look factory as

Turbo_Steve
22-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Hi Ian,

The trouble with Subs is that there really isn't much substitute for size. My experiences with those little units is that, whilst they bump along nicely and can sound very punchy, they completely fail to actually drop any truly LOW bass. Bear in mind that there is an amplifier and powersupply crammed into those little boxes....ours will be external. I'm not knocking them...but generally I've found a little effort, even in a supra, will pay a much bigger dividend in bass performance.

The 8" in the box we're going for here is going to be running at very high excursion, and have a fair capacity behind it to provide flexible cushioning.
6 Litres should give it a good level of control, though definitely won't be as loud at lower frequencies. Which would mean either porting it (I'll start doing some math) and/or runing some good filters. I have different speakers in my doors, and at present have them EQ'd for as much low-stuff as possible, with a high-pass set at 60Hz. They seem to roll off at around 70Hz anyway....so a sub filtered below 40Hz and above 70Hz, witha a -6db slope and with a port tuned to 50Hz should (in theory) add a nice deep bass to the punchiness of the door speakers, bearing in mind that you will struggle to produce frequencies below 50Hz within the cabin of the car. They will sound great from about 4 foot away from the car if the windows are open, but are impossible to hear inside the car.

Porting does, unfortunately, make the design of the box specific to a particular model of speaker...but I'm fairly sure we're stuck there anyway. And I am a big Pioneer fan.

VR4WGN
22-02-2009, 08:18 AM
confidence is the key to all success!!! i like it Steve........ill talk with Tim tomorrow or this week and see how we can go bout gettn the most from the 8"...

Turbo_Steve
25-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Porting wise...this might come in useful:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Let's you play with the numbers yourselves.

VR4WGN
26-02-2009, 02:10 AM
sweet man,i am currently in discussion re the flushmount and might be able to replace it with a normal sized sub and actually run it in minimal space too,but will let you know progress,just building up a ****ty viento legnum this week,will be dun by 2morow optamisticly....

Turbo_Steve
26-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Hey, I'm in no rush....it's not like it will be economical to ship it to the UK (unless you want to do a crate load LOL!)

So all the NZ boys are going to have the sub-setup I want LOL!

VR4WGN
26-02-2009, 09:14 PM
you never know man,life is full of surprises lol.....

VR4WGN
28-02-2009, 08:06 PM
ok so tuesday im booked in at SSS for the day and we will be doing some calculations and dimensions crunching,aswell as i have decided to make 3 types of sub boxes,1 flush mounted as factory,1 that takes up the L/H compartment area and 1 that will take up the inner tyre well cover area,cables are laid and all ready to play with,wil lbe molding the box with fibreglass to ensure a tight snug fit between the body and the boxes

Turbo_Steve
28-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Will be interested to see how they compare sound-wise.

VR4WGN
02-03-2009, 08:02 AM
yea i was thinking the same. but yes it will be interesting tho... i want te kits to be very basic,good looking and very easy to install aswell so alot of thought is going into it

Turbo_Steve
03-03-2009, 11:38 AM
And needs to not obstruct access for changing rear bulbs.

VR4WGN
05-03-2009, 08:42 PM
already thort of that lol,iv designed and fabricated the rear wall unit already and have just the front and sides to make up and fit ow so im hoping over the weekend it will be made up,i hate woodwork so thats why i taken my time lol