PDA

View Full Version : What Mods do you suggest?

LiuDaiWai
17-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi

I am looking for advice on how I can modify my car.

I have a Galant 2.0L Sport 4Cyl on an X plate (2000) and want to squeeze more power from it. Right now it is totally standard.

Has anyone here modified such a model? What do you suggest? What difference in BHP/0-60 time should I see?

Any help would be great!

Thanks all

foxdie
17-02-2009, 05:51 PM
The common "get more horses" spiel tends to be;

1. give your car a damn good servicing with decent fluids ie. amsoil
2. free flowing exhaust system ie. a decat with a powerflow exhaust system
3. performance airfilter ie. K&N panel filter

Just a few to get you started (at the cheaper side of performance mods that is).. there'll be more suggestions from other members no doubt ;)

pitslayer
17-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Honestly? If it were me I would sell the 2.0 and buy the V624v about same mpg, more on it, and much quicker :)

Kieran
17-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I wish people would stop saying the V6 gets the same MPG as the GLS. :veryangry

Anyway... I've owned both a V6 and a GLS before that. I never modded the GLS but I did the V6. I also have had a little 'fun' with my V6 (when standard) against a modified GLS. Against a Modified GLS my V6 struggled when underway, though I've no idea what would've happened from a standing start. So don't expect miracles - Unlike some cars there's not so much available for our Galants in terms of parts and coaxing extra horsies from them can be a challenge.

Foxdie's on the money really. Both the non-turbo cars seem to respond well to simple mods. Fuelling wise they seem well mapped from the factory, so unless you want to squeeze every last drop of power out, put fuel mods (Such as FPRs, pumps and ECU tweakery) to one side.

My V6 certainly responded well to being Decatted and having a sports backbox, so I'd certainly recommend that. Don't go mad on pipe sizes though, especially with the GLS as you could risk moving the power band up the top end.

Air filter - Get a free-flow filter that fits the standard airbox. K&N do one. Induction kits won't help - Like with the VR4, the Standard MAF is tetchy about having 'clean' airflow and the engine bay temperatures mean that unless you're underway with lots of cold air coming in via the radiator, the filter is just gobbling in hot air.

Fuel economy inaccuracy aside ;), Pitslayer's idea is not without merit, however if performance is THAT imporant then you may find you're left wanting with a V6 also. The V6 isn't as easy a car to live with as a GLS/2.0 Sport, but it's still good and it's got a peach of an engine. But then the GLS unit is very smooth and revvy for a 4 cylinder and it's an easy car to work on too.

pitslayer
18-02-2009, 01:23 AM
I averaged 36mpg in my V6, thats not far off the 2litre, on a motorway i got 38.5mpg, infact it never dropped below 32mpg :)

Points to consider for the V6, good mpg, comes with all the equipment, and it makes the best engine note out of all the Galant range. I went for a V6 to a VR4, and whilst they are fundamently the same engine, the noise of the turbos on the VR4 destroys the beautifull note th comes out of the V6. V624 is pure aural pleasure

Kieran
18-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I averaged 36mpg in my V6, thats not far off the 2litre, on a motorway i got 38.5mpg, infact it never dropped below 32mpg :)

I wish people would stop saying the V6 gets the same MPG as the GLS... :veryangry

Regarding equipment.... Well - Climate control, heated Moo-Cow seats (if you've got the leather pack) and depending on year, bigger alloys, headlamp washers & high contrast dash are the major things. The differences aren't huge.

Anyway - Let's perhaps get back to the topic of Mods for the two litre galants; mods that don't involve buying a V6 instead ;)

pitslayer
18-02-2009, 01:56 AM
but I did get that mpg out of my car??? drive it lightly it will do that mpg, Brads VR4 can do that mpg why cant a V6 the god of gls powah cant do anything about it /lol

yes sorry we digressed from the point

didnt they also have cruise control as standard?

anyways, basically what Kieran and foxdie has said, decat, with good free flowing exhaust, good panel filter, and a good service

scott.mohekey
18-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Anyway - Let's perhaps get back to the topic of Mods for the two litre galants; mods that don't involve buying a V6 instead ;)

Lol, but that's the best mod! /toycar

bradc
18-02-2009, 06:43 AM
It depends on what the original poster actually wants, something that sounds a bit sportier and goes a bit faster, or a dramatic improvement. The only way to really improve performance by a lot is either forced induction or motor swap or to sell the car and get a faster one!

Kieran
18-02-2009, 09:19 AM
but I did get that mpg out of my car??? drive it lightly it will do that mpg, Brads VR4 can do that mpg why cant a V6 the god of gls powah cant do anything about it /lol

I never said you didn't get that MPG from your V6.

didnt they also have cruise control as standard?

Yes, but so did the GLS - At least untill Mitsubishi dropped it from the UK spec Galant.

LiuDaiWai
18-02-2009, 01:40 PM
So basically my options are de-cat, performance airfilter, and re-map or just buy a faster car! Can you not bolt a turbo in these things?

I guess another option is to just buy a v6 engine, I am guessing it will fit with little fuss or am I completely wrong in my assumption. Could an evo engine be dropped in it?

I spoke with a technician from Mitsubishi when it was in for a repair and he said the V6 engines were trouble and a pain to work with... Is this not the case?

pitslayer
18-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes you could bolt a turbo on it, but it would cost alot to do, looking at well over £1k to do it, at which point your already in V6 territory money wise. You would have to drop the compression ratios get bits made etc, just wouldnt be worth it. edit: Also you cant remap the Galants ECU, you could put a piggy back ecu on it, but on a 2.0 there would be little point and little gain, as a piggyback ecu will cost you £500 up

Yes you could drop a V6 lump in, but again the costs of finding the engine, gearbox, possibly ecu and some more wiring would again outweigh the cost of just buying a V6

You could drop an evo lump in it, but the cost would be astronimcal, as I am sure they are mounted the other way aroumd, so you would be getting more costs, to make parts to get it to fit

Technician at Mitsubishi clearly doesnt know what he is talking about, I had 2 V6s each sailed through there mots, and they never missed a beat. My first silver one, I got at 100k miles, and carried on with me through 21k miles in a year, trip to the continent and back. Blue V6 was well over 130k miles and carried on
The only pain with the V6 is changing the rear spark plugs, which takes about an hour or so, but if you put decent spark plugs in you shouldnt have to worry about.

Kieran
18-02-2009, 06:42 PM
You could drop an evo lump in it, but the cost would be astronimcal, as I am sure they are mounted the other way aroumd, so you would be getting more costs, to make parts to get it to fit.

No - The later EVOs (Four onwards infact) have the engine the right way round.

Liu - Might be worth looking at posts by 'Dutch Driver'. He's done an EVO conversion. :)

Big Ian
19-02-2009, 12:55 AM
not much you can do to add extra BHP to a GLS ... i had an induction kit fitted, it did help massively but i some times wonder if a decent panel filter with an extra air intake added to the standard air box would have worked better?

first thing's first though "Bigger or Better brakes should be your No1 mod" then i'd go with the suspension, lower & stiffer, take it from me a GLS with the right suspension and brake set-up is a massive improvement on standard spec stuff ;) then your looking at a de-cat pipe (of a sort) full exhaust, custom or after market? i also uprated the HT lead's and fitted proper iridium spark plug's.

my GLS was by no way a slow car, it was deffo quicker than a standard GLS .. some say it might just have been the driver :D .. standard is about 130BHP i'd say mine was closer to 150BHP
here is my old GLS with all it's mod's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/500686

if money wasn't an issue i'd love to turbo a GLS .. just for the added fun-factor /rally

vikvallabh82
20-02-2009, 02:15 PM
where does one buy a "piggyback ECU"??

Big Ian
20-02-2009, 03:18 PM
where does one buy a "piggyback ECU"??

i'd say it's not realy something you can just go and buy, your car has to be "set-up" by a tuning firm when they are fitting a "piggy back" style chip

HMG1K
20-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Yep, as Pitslayer says the V6 engines are great, and so too the 2.0 Litre lump - same engine that was in my last 6G. Lasted a generation that engine, tight as anything if looked after, and solid.

Did you get my PM regarding the question about lights?

zsnemeth
17-03-2009, 09:55 PM
What about a DOHC head swap? I read on one of the US galant forums, this is the first step over there, i know they have 2.4L engine.... I`d like to try it, if it`s possible.

V6 vs GLS: Here in Ireland the motortax is unreasonably high for the V6. I did want to get a VR4, but i saw the tax!!! I happily pay for petrol, parts, maintenance but not the ******* tax.

And yes, I`d like to get more power, and 4wd. I was thinking about to get a gearbox, driveshaft, rear diff and the rest from an AWD VR-G? Any idea? :)

bradc
17-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Nope, too much work. It will cost you more than the tax. Just buy a VR-4

Turbo_Steve
17-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Cheapest bang-for-buck (pun not intended) is to stick NOS on it: Get an extra 50bhp or so.
Nothing else comes close for the money.

Supercharger = too expensive
Turbo = not worth the effort as it's complete engine rebuild.
Bolt on bits = won't get you as much.

Is a 4G63T swap a possibility? Higher cost, but maximum power output!

Otherwise: exhaust, airfilter, always run it on v-Power and give it a really really good service: new oil, plugs, leads, coilpacks (possibly go for uprated coil packs or coil?).
The next stage would be looking at losing some weight, removing parasitic losses (lighter flywheel, crankpulley, underdrive aircon & alternator etc.

Then you could look into getting your cams reground and a piggyback ECU.

Bigger brakes is good advice...will let you go quicker...but not perhaps what you're after.

Wodjno
18-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Cheapest bang-for-buck (pun not intended) is to stick NOS on it: Get an extra 50bhp or so.
Nothing else comes close for the money

Got a Nitrous Expess EFi Wet Kit available /rally

Upto a 75 bhp shot.. Other nozzles are 35bhp and 50bhp, if my memory serves me right /Hmmm

No Bottle though :inquisiti

All brand new /yes

Turbo_Steve
18-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Wodj, I swear you should buy a shop-frontage: you have stock that would make most tuning shops jealous!!! :D (And an excellent sales technique, I must add!)

zsnemeth
18-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Thank you.
Already have better brakes, a full set of Black Diamond grooved and drilled disks and BD raptor pads, and Bilstein B12 susp. set all around. Both worth the price.

I don`t want too much power, "just" 30-35 more horses, actualy more torque...