PDA

View Full Version : Something isnt happy

pitslayer
17-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Car has been playing up past few days, mostly I think the autobox could do with a service.
But I am getting a wierd vibrating through the car

Started other day, drove up the road, around 40 mph, the car started to act like it had a boost hose of slightly and started kangarooing slightly, and feeling generally lethargic in going forward...Stopped doing that
but now between70-80mph the floor vibrates,

Imagine if someone had put a weight on the drive shaft to the rear, making it unbalanced, causing a vibrating. But its not constant, its like every 2 seconds, the floor vibrates, coming from the tunnel. If the shaft was unbalanced, then shirley that would be a constant vibration...

So what would cause it, its only between 70-80mph at a constant speed. Everything at the speed would be moving so quickly, that even at a second all spinning objects would of done at least like 1 revolution

Aswell as that, it has also felt like its changing gears whilst driving, it just pushes itself forwards slightly, occasionally I cant say when and where and why its doing it, its just random

havnt got it up the ramps yet to have a look to see if everything is attached, the vibrating through the floor, is directly located tunnel side of the drivers side floorpan, just below the gearshiftererer

anyone got any ideas??

Subaru ETA
17-02-2009, 10:09 PM
my mates one did this when the transfer case goosed itself

pitslayer
17-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Hmmm I hope that isnt the case

scott.mohekey
17-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Hmm, mine is doing something similar to this.. at lower speeds though, and usually waits till it heats up a bit to start doing it. I've booked it in for a fluid change on friday hoping that will help some (it's got the wrong sort of transmission fluid in it at the moment I think).

pitslayer
17-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Should have mitsi SP3 or amsoil ATF in it.

scott.mohekey
17-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Yep, aware of that. I've only had it a month though and the previous owner got all fluids changed at a budget oil change place before I bought it.

Subaru ETA
17-02-2009, 10:55 PM
lower speed vibration id say is the trans. what pits is talking about sounds like what my mates transfer case did. have you changed the oil in it?

pitslayer
17-02-2009, 10:57 PM
ewwwww /lol

scott.mohekey
17-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I've changed the engine oil, but I didn't have enough money to do the transmission oil at the same time, so its booked in for this friday. Engine oil change made a HUGE different to the running of the engine.. it had havoline 10w40 mineral oil in it and I went to amsoil 0w30.

pitslayer
19-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Well it did the juddering again today, then got a wierd smell through the car, only way to describe it, is warm milk from a few feet away, could of been outside

I-S
19-02-2009, 11:59 PM
It IS warm milk. What's happened is that the exhaust has shifted and is heating up the paint.

pitslayer
20-02-2009, 01:39 AM
It IS warm milk. What's happened is that the exhaust has shifted and is heating up the paint.
hmmm to agree or not to agree, well in the hope that you arent taking the p*ss /lol my exhaust has got quite clattery over the past few days