PDA

View Full Version : Raw Power 2

Nick Mann
18-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I had an issue a few years agobreaking the drivetrain.

I shall call that event Raw Power 1.....

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107100&postcount=35

So now I have had the event I shall call Raw Power 2!

The pictures aren't so good - poor camera and poor lighting don't make a good photo - but hopefully you can see the hole where the rear diff casing should be. It is off the car now, so I'll get some better photos and post them up later.

For now, enjoy another steel meal eaten and spat out by my Legnum! :D

Nick Mann
18-02-2009, 11:55 PM
It looks like the teeth have been stripped and then wedged into what's left of the diff. That has tried (and indeed succeeded!) to make the diff gears seperate. The pressure has then exploded the casing.

:afro:

Wodjno
19-02-2009, 12:08 AM
It looks like the teeth have been stripped and then wedged into what's left of the diff. That has tried (and indeed succeeded!) to make the diff gears seperate. The pressure has then exploded the casing.

:afro:

Sheeesh ! :speechles

Not good Nick :(

Is that AYC or S-AYC ??

Gly
19-02-2009, 12:15 AM
nicely done....

im on my 3rd rear diff aswell. :P

Nick Mann
19-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Wodj, it's a standard VR4 rear diff. (As is the replacement for now!)

Carsten, it's only my second. The first drivetrain munching was the gearbox output shaft.

Wodjno
19-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Wodj, it's a standard VR4 rear diff. (As is the replacement for now!)

Carsten, it's only my second. The first drivetrain munching was the gearbox output shaft.

Why bother putting another standard AYC diff in Nick ?

Time, effort, oil and the eventuality that this 1 is going to go the same way :thinking:

Why not hold off a while and source an S-AYC diff and put that in :inquisiti

Nick Mann
19-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Because I want to do a track day on monday!

And now I have spent a lot of time sorting out rusty bolts, the next one will be easier......

Wodjno
19-02-2009, 12:44 AM

And now I have spent a lot of time sorting out rusty bolts, the next one will be easier......

FurryMuff!

Davezj
19-02-2009, 12:50 AM
it does sound like a Evo 8 diff is required. i imagine any diff on nicks car will get abused slightly more than most. with all the track days and testing of that manual gear box.

all in the name of research of course.

Madhav
19-02-2009, 04:02 AM
So how many standard diffs have gone like this on auto VR4's? It appears to be a weak spot within our cars? As I type this my car is most probably having like 400hp moving through the diff on the dyno!!! I guess time will tell....

Wodjno
19-02-2009, 04:16 AM
So how many standard diffs have gone like this on auto VR4's? It appears to be a weak spot within our cars? As I type this my car is most probably having like 400hp moving through the diff on the dyno!!! I guess time will tell....

It's not actually a weak spot ? Every part has a limit :thinking:

My diff gave out on my 1st VR4 which was an Auto.. But it was far from standaard and got Mahoosively ragged on an day to day basis.. /rally
It still took over 3 years of silly abuse before it died :pimp2:

I upgraded to an S-AYC unit when my diff gave out.. I've not heard of any S-AYC diffs going Kaput in a VR4 yet ? Not that theres that many of them that have been fitted :speechles

bradc
19-02-2009, 04:18 AM
The problem with EVO 4 and VR-4 diffs is that there is a small amount of play in the pinion gear shaft, it can move slightly sideways and this in turn means there is less contact between the teeth that creates stress and rips teeth off. The problem is 95% fixed on EVO 5-9 diffs

Nick Mann
19-02-2009, 08:13 AM
My car is not properly tuned yet and so doesn't have the power figure that I'd like to boast about. But I have had two seperate rolling roads since my manual conversion and MAP2 ECU show me at over 360 lbft of torque. That's a fair old rise for the testing of components.

And I don't class myself as in the Wodj school of driving, but I'm probably close! ;)

foxdie
19-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Heh, finally made the post Nick? :) Still sorry this happened when you were on your way to mine.

Hope it wasn't too traumatic replacing the diff (mind you, I have a sneaking suspicion you would have enjoyed taking it to bits ;))

Kieran
19-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Madhav - I wouldn't say it's a 'Weak' point per-se; Certainly it's not something a standard car has to worry about. However, Wodj, Nick & Carsten have had Engines with quite a bit extra power in them.

Nick rang me about a minute after his diff blew up to share the greatness. The noise that the diff was making through the car was quite something! Obviously I was sad for Nick that his diff had gone bang, but I must admit also that I was well impressed with the effort and the resulting noise! :D

miller
19-02-2009, 09:30 AM
wooooooo thats a peekaboo into the casing allright! gonna be shiny when that comes out! more pics please for the perverse amongst us!

WildCards
19-02-2009, 04:44 PM

/woot

Nick Mann
19-02-2009, 07:17 PM
/woot

Just get some other bugger signed up! I don't want to be car number 13!!! Not after last friday..... /pan

MikeKey
19-02-2009, 07:51 PM
This is exactly the same thing you'll find lots of pictures of over on the MLR, it's a definite weak point:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=215901
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=45479

I don't know if it's a manufacturing defect with the pinion gears, or if the overall design just doesn't cope well once things start getting too worn. Either way, it seems be down to pure luck as to whether your casing explodes when the pinion gets mashed...

An Evo 8 or 9 diff is definitely the way to go! :happy:

WildCards
19-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Just get some other bugger signed up! I don't want to be car number 13!!! Not after last friday..... /pan

I 'think' we're up to about 18 now. Haven't a clue where you come in amongst that lot, but if anyone is going to have a moment, it'll be the 360 or AM I reckon.

Nick Mann
19-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Cool. Then I'm in! :D

Eurospec
19-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I agree on the evo thing- its the same failure you get on them. Roger at turnaround 360 recons evo (and vr4) diffs. He tells me that the failure is a result of the end casings of the torque transfer mechanism being too weak on the early diffs. Enough torque transfer and it will just push the casings apart.

You can go with the later diffs from the 7+ which are stronger. I dunno if an RS rear diff would work, it probably would, and it will be tough as boots.

Cheers,

Ben.

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2009, 11:24 PM
No AYC, though? :(

Wodjno
19-02-2009, 11:41 PM
You can go with the later diffs from the 7+ which are stronger. I dunno if an RS rear diff would work, it probably would, and it will be tough as boots.

Cheers,

Ben.

RS diffs do work on VR4's /yes I spoke to Roger about 3 years ago on the subject ..

Also the S-AYC diffs from the EVO8+ are much stronger /yes
And also transform the understeer of the VR4 when pushing hard :pimp2:

MikeKey
20-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm sure someone on here has fitted an RS diff as he couldn't get hold of a replacement AYC diff where he lived. You need to replace the driveshafts too though IIRC.

pezza
20-02-2009, 06:24 PM
How much more are the vo8+ diffs going for now? At the time of buying mine there was not much difference between 2nd hand VR4 and EVO 8 diffs. Maybe thats changed?

There always tend to be quite a few knocking about on MLR.