PDA

View Full Version : Car security

Physician
09-04-2004, 03:50 PM
I have a Sigma alarm and immobiliser fitted to my car. It's Thatcham cat 1 approved.
In respect of the immobiliser part ..... how easy or hard is it for a determined thief to start the car? I'm wondering whether to get a Tracker fitted.
I can easily imagine a scrote smashing the window to gain access but can he then hard wire or open bonnet and start the car with a little effort or is it going to take him hours to start it?

Thanks,

Richard

BraindG
09-04-2004, 04:03 PM
how about fitting another lock to the bonnet, so it uses your key to pop the bonnet :) (was on the campervan we hired, thought it was pretty cool idea)

tracker a good idea anyways, helps with insurance..
get some protective film that lines the inside of all your windows.. this prevents the window from being smashed...

Nick Mann
09-04-2004, 04:52 PM
The immobiliser should slow the procedure down quite substantially, shouldn't it? I would hope so anyway.

One of the best things I heard about was a diy hidden switch controlling the power to the fuel pump. The idea being that the car will start with what's in the fuel filter etc, but only run for a mile before the fuel runs out. By which time the thief will be in the middle of the road and unwilling to spend a lot of time trying to re-start it. Best thing is it only costs £2.00 from your local electrical shop!

BraindG
09-04-2004, 04:54 PM
ah.. cunning ;)

SGHOM
09-04-2004, 05:01 PM
I have a gear lock fitted to my van. you can break into it, you could nick my tools, [ if I kept them in there ] !!! but you could never steal it. :-b

Nick VR4
09-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I have Tracker fitted and a cat 1 alarm and immobilizer
If i leave the car unlocked for more the 30 secs the immobilizer cuts in and shuts everything down

zedy1
09-04-2004, 06:41 PM
most cat1 and 2 take me approx 15 mins to bypass without damaging the car, they only work well if they are installed proerly.

Spirit
09-04-2004, 07:02 PM
I have a Sigma Cat 1 same as you Richard and luckily the previous owner kindly fitted a tracker as well - personally I would get one for added peace of mind ;) - particularly if you intend to keep the car a while

Brind
09-04-2004, 07:20 PM
The problem with most 'proper factory' and professional installed alarms and immobilisers is that they tend to use the same routes, this then makes it easier for a thief to go to (in theory) and the chances are if they know th system you have they've already done one before and know where to go.

If you take the DIY route, you can make a car virtually impossible to start as you can do things that are completely out of the norm.

Just install a very loud siren in the cab and a simple trigger device, the thief won't want to piss about trying to find it as it would be deathening and very confusing to do anything about.

wirdy
09-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Trackers are great but I'm still unsure whether I would want my beloved VR4 back once it had its ar$e wragged by someone else.
If yor car is stolen recovered, and (according to the insurance company), it is 'undamaged', do you still get the option to refuse it, if you can prove by the state of the tyres / fuel used etc that it has been abused?

The reason I ask is that a few years ago my ex mother-in-law had her Pug 205 diesel stolen. It was recovered 2 days later with an empty fuel tank (it was full when stolen), take away pizza & curry smeared over the interior and well scrubbed tyres. The insurance company paid for a full valet and nothing else- said that the tyres were still legal and that since the car had been returned 'undamaged' then there was no grounds for a claim, even though these cars do 300-400 miles on a tank of diesel!!! to$$ers!

=Zedy1. most cat1 and 2 take me approx 15 mins to bypass without damaging the car, they only work well if they are installed properly.

Is there something you're not telling us about your past, Mo?? :stunned: :-D

Brind
09-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Is there something you're not telling us about your past, Mo?? :stunned: :-D

I would think it is again, the obvious installation locations used by professionals who simply make the alarm do its job nothing else.
Anything else requires time which is money.

It's like me being an electrician, I can make a perfect job and hide everything I've done but I won't be paid for the extra work and time, I just make it functional.

zedy1
10-04-2004, 11:04 AM
most alarm installers just cable tie the box under the dash and all you have to do is cut towo wires and join them :-D

Physician
10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks everyone ....... so I need wheelclamps, steering wheel lock, handbrake lock, security glass, internal siren, bonnet lock, boot lock, tracker, fuel pump disabler and possibly a covert internal video camera recording system. Great ! :undecided

BraindG
10-04-2004, 01:40 PM
yup, once all thats installed, im sure they will think twice! :p :D

Kieran
10-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Interesting thread.

So, what in everyones opinion is the best make of car alarm out there? :undecided

ileonc
10-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Interesting thread.

So, what in everyones opinion is the best make of car alarm out there? :undecided

Datatool and TOAD! <GRIBBIT!!>

As for fitting a Tracker, I got it done and got it hidden really really well (pays to know someone / recommendations), amazing bit of kit, I have just rolled the car a couple of feet with the alarm on and I got a phone call within 30 seconds from the Tracker girls asking me if I knew my car was moving! Amazing stuff and worth the subscription and initial cost!

If you are really worried I have my car & bike hooked up to a pager and to a messaging service on my mobile. If any of the alarms go off I get a page (within 300 m of the vehicle) and a mobile SMS, great stuff!!

Once caught a scrote working on my bike with a screwdriver cos' the mobile went off and gave me time to get to the bike. The scrote was somewhat miffed, but thats a thread all by itself.

In a word, any device that gives you piece of mind is worth fitting!!