PDA

View Full Version : Fuel changes

Polabear
09-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Hi Guys
I am importing a 98 Legnum from Japan :-D :-D :-D :-D , does anybody know if I have to make any ignition/timing changes to take into account the difference in Fuel Octane rating between Japan and the UK :headsc: cheers.

wirdy
09-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Thankfully this is all taken care of by the ECU!!

The knock sensor detects any pre-ignition (detonation) and will retard the ignition as a safety measure. :) This drops power, increases the engine temp slightly but saves your engine from damage.

Even if you wanted to, the only way to change timing / ignition is with a unichip or similar, unless you are a super-duper programmer type who can get a laptop to speak to the ECU :rolleyes5

Polabear
09-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks for that info Wirdy, well then in that case in about 3mths time I will be tearing the laneways and carriagways of devon with a KICKA$$ smile planted firmly on my face.... :-D :-D :-D :-D

Brind
09-04-2004, 09:23 PM
If you run on Optimax your car will perform rather normally.

It's only if you run normal unleaded or let it drink dodgy fuel that the ECU will drop the performance significantly, the only way to bring my VR-4 back from this state is to remove the power from the car for about 30-60 seconds and it resets, I guess running it for many tank fulls of Optimax will bring it back eventually but who wants to wait for power when you can get it instantly. :)

As far as I'm aware no VR-4's have been properly altered for use in the UK.