PDA

View Full Version : Strut Brace

angie.m.c
22-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Hello,
Can someone please confirm that a legnum strut brace (the one in the engine bay that goes over the top) will fit a galant v6 (1999)?
thanks
Angela

peter thomson
22-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Yes they fit the V6 as well

ANTHONY
22-02-2009, 10:26 PM
but you will need to notify your insurance co

Wodjno
22-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Sure do /yes

And if you haven't already got one ?

I have 1 For Sale :)

Cheers

Wodj :D

peter thomson
22-02-2009, 10:33 PM
/duh Should have said I have one for sale as well

angie.m.c
23-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks folks,
Not sure why would i need to inform the insurance, i thought you just had to tell them about things that totally changed the car or its performance, specifically making it faster?

Wodjno and Peter Thomson - I'm hoping to get one off ebay via a scraped car but that may not work out so I'll keep you both in mind for one.

Thanks
Angela

HMG1K
23-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Sure do /yes

And if you haven't already got one ?

I have 1 For Sale :)

Cheers

Wodj :D

And one of the best minor mods I've done to my V6, bought mine off Wodj.

It really makes a difference, especially throwing it into the steep bend at 70mph going from the M25 J15 to the M4, J4b - fantastic, really holds and hugs the corner! /rally

ANTHONY
23-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks folks,
Not sure why would i need to inform the insurance, i thought you just had to tell them about things that totally changed the car or its performance, specifically making it faster?

its stil classed as a modification ,ask and see if you like

angie.m.c
23-02-2009, 09:13 PM
its stil classed as a modification ,ask and see if you like

thanks for the heads up, blasted insurance companies any way to get more money out of you!

g6acb
23-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Think of it this way.... your driving at 30 mph in a built up area, someone steps out into the road, you hit the brakes but its too late - you hit them at full force.....

The insurance line is this..... your going to break their legs, thats a given.. (the Insurance man is allready writing a cheque).... the victim is going to pivot at a point somewhere where the leg was not designed to do.... the average humans head is then going to smash into the bonnet 3/4's of the way up...... but thats not a problem because of the amount of 'give' in the bonnet in that area..

Until there is a NON Standard steel girder underneath the bonnet ....

... Dear Mr Insurance man, will you pay for the severe head injury / permanent disablement / death of the victim , caused by my NON Standard Strut brace....

{Mr Insurance Man} Erm.. no.. get bent... and heres a bill for 1 meelion pounds - when can you pay???

Is it worth it?

I have a VR4 brace in a non VR4 - it does improve the steering response and cornering, the down side is it makes the car a lot more 'crashy' over pot holes and bumps...

... just tell your insurance company

Beastlee
23-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Strangely German insurers don't seem to care about the modifications, It was all based on the power of the engine. Mind you I pay a lot more (3x) here than I did in the UK, although I can go anywhere in Europe for as long as I want and not need a green card for 90 days.

g6acb
23-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Different Insurance companies - different line.... My Insurance couldn't give a toss about the strut brace, but drop my suspension by 10mm and they wont insure me

ANTHONY
24-02-2009, 12:02 AM
i had one fitted to my 2.0 sport when i had it told lifesure but it did not cost any more.....they just want to know

Kieran
24-02-2009, 12:51 AM
The other reason why insurers want to know about things like strut braces is that in a side-on crash, the energy from the impact can travel along the strut brace and cause distortion on the opposite side too.

angie.m.c
24-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Think of it this way.... your driving at 30 mph in a built up area, someone steps out into the road, you hit the brakes but its too late - you hit them at full force.....

The insurance line is this..... your going to break their legs, thats a given.. (the Insurance man is allready writing a cheque).... the victim is going to pivot at a point somewhere where the leg was not designed to do.... the average humans head is then going to smash into the bonnet 3/4's of the way up...... but thats not a problem because of the amount of 'give' in the bonnet in that area..

... Dear Mr Insurance man, will you pay for the severe head injury / permanent disablement / death of the victim , caused by my NON Standard Strut brace....

{Mr Insurance Man} Erm.. no.. get bent... and heres a bill for 1 meelion pounds - when can you pay???

Is it worth it?

I have a VR4 brace in a non VR4 - it does improve the steering response and cornering, the down side is it makes the car a lot more 'crashy' over pot holes and bumps...

... just tell your insurance company

Hi, never thought about it that way, but I didn't suggest i wouldnt tell my insurance, which i will if and when i get it done, i just didnt realise i had to for things like a strut brace.

N9nebar
24-02-2009, 12:18 PM
will the vr4 strut brace fit the 2.4 gdi and 1.8 gdi .... is there an issue with the height of the engine?

GalantOnly
25-02-2009, 12:35 AM
As far as I remember, there was only problem with one single 6mm bolt (ABS earthening or something), which was in the way for the strut brace on V6's and needed relocation...

busa paul
25-02-2009, 09:13 AM
quote :

this is a mitsubishi standard fitment item so why tell your ins co , unless every one had thieis fitted aftermarket . and must of had some kind of type aproval with respect to impact resistance :scholar:

MarkSanne
25-02-2009, 09:40 AM
will the vr4 strut brace fit the 2.4 gdi and 1.8 gdi .... is there an issue with the height of the engine?

On the 2.4 GDi it will not fit, unless you remove the engine cover. On the 1.8 GDi they should fit, although I cannot say from my own expierience as we never had that motor over here, we only had the 2.4 GDi.

Kieran
25-02-2009, 10:54 AM
this is a mitsubishi standard fitment item so why tell your ins co , unless every one had thieis fitted aftermarket . and must of had some kind of type aproval with respect to impact resistance :scholar:

That argument wouldn't wash with an insurer. The strut brace is only standard fitment on the Galant/Legnum VR-4, not any of the other models.

As you know, the VR4 was not type approved anyway, and it still doesn't alter the fact that the brace could cause more damage to the car's structure and/or unfortunate pedestrian that if it wasn't there.

Wodjno
25-02-2009, 06:23 PM
That argument wouldn't wash with an insurer. The strut brace is only standard fitment on the Galant/Legnum VR-4, not any of the other models.

As you know, the VR4 was not type approved anyway, and it still doesn't alter the fact that the brace could cause more damage to the car's structure and/or unfortunate pedestrian that if it wasn't there.

Tis exactly what i was going to say /yes