PDA

View Full Version : Loss of drive in 1st gear

peter thomson
23-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Thought I would start a new thread for this problem as I can't find anything similar in the forum.

In D it starts to pull away and then looses drive. In tip it works in 1st but the shift between 1st and 2nd are rough From 2nd on all the gears are fine and if you go back to drive and avoid dropping down to first it drives very well.
I think the solenoid (there may be 2) for 1st is sticking and that will have to be checked but it is once again drivable.
The other problem is line pressure which could be due to the solenoids not working properly or a seal has gone in the valve block.
3rd option is one of the clutch plates but I would have thoght it would not work in tip either?
Keith is going to run it this week in the hope use will free up the solenoids but if not we have 2 sets sitting here to swap with.
If anybody else thinks the problem is elsewhere let us know. There are no codes from the ecu apart from a front and rear abs sensor fault. They have been there since Keith bought the car but the ABS light does not come on under braking.

bigoxo
28-02-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm experiencing something fairly similar just now, when i stop or accel quite hard when in 1st the car revs up and jumps hard into gear (1st when stopped) or (2nd when moving).

A mate at work who used to be a 'lecky for rover suggested an air valve somewhere that commonly gets gunked up on autos. He's recommended that i spray intake cleaner into it and see if that works. Hopefully i'll get a chance to do it today or tomorrow and let you know how it goes...

Kelly&Ben
28-02-2009, 01:38 PM
where?

Nick Mann
28-02-2009, 02:08 PM
bigoxo - is the oil level okay? Peters description is not a normal issue. But there are normal issues where the box doesn't change well. The main two reasons are a recent ecu reset followed by mentalist driving or incorrect fluid levels.

Beastlee
28-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm experiencing something fairly similar just now, when i stop or accel quite hard when in 1st the car revs up and jumps hard into gear (1st when stopped) or (2nd when moving).

Mine has done similar recently. I don't have an issue in second but if I come to a stop then try and pull away quickly the revs shoot up and suddenly the gearbox catches up. It has only done it twice but then I've only done about 100 miles since the first time.

bigoxo
28-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Nick, My i've not checked my level for a bit(will do so now) and to my knowledge the ecu hasn't been reset for ages. I was thinking about doing it tho....

As for the mentalist......