PDA

View Full Version : Which uprated door speakers?

andydckent
24-02-2009, 01:10 AM
Can anyone advise me on what speakers I should buy to replace my standard door speakers?

I really have no clue about these things, what type of speaker is required etc.

I would like something that I can fit in without modifying the mounts/door cards, sounds good and won't break the bank.

I already have a decent sony headunit.

Thanks

Andy

CANDEE
24-02-2009, 01:15 AM
My suggestion woulf be DLS B6A front components and Pioneer 2 way 6.5 coaxials for the rear.

Not sure how much they cost over that way...

J

W4dey
24-02-2009, 01:20 AM
for the above speakers try :

www.caraudiodirect.co.uk or www.caraudiosecurity.com

personally rate both sites very good, a lot of my stereo gears come from them in the past :)

andydckent
24-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Those look like nice speakers, not 'too' expensive either. Why do you suggest different speakers in the back? Someone is going to have to explain what everything means. Are they like bassy-er ones at the back or something?

andydckent
24-02-2009, 01:40 AM
Also those components, do they require additional power supply to be installed and wiring run to where the tweeters go, or would existing wiring be enough?

Andy

crazydriver81
24-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Hi Andy!

I've changed my speakers as follows:

Focal Access 165 2-Way Component in the front
Focal Access 165 2-Way Coaxial in the back

Additionally I spent some attention to the doors itself to get them quiet (no more rattle... ;))

You can mount 165mm diameter speakers without modifications, but maybe you have to customize the plastic adaptor which is betwen speakers and door.

I have still a JVC headunit in my car and no amplifiers and it works very well. The speakers are fantastic with a bit of Kickbass, so ideal for chart or electronic music.

Hope that helps...

cheers

wantavr4
24-02-2009, 03:03 AM
I've changed my speakers as follows:

Focal Access 165 2-Way Component in the front

I changed to the same components. Found them for less than 200 euro on ebay,were selling for at least twice the price. Was told get the slim line version cause the doors were very thin. fitted in ok. The amp was the expensive part.

Whats your budget? Do you want basic speakers or a deacent set that will have a very good quality for a bit extra mula?

andydckent
24-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Budget, that's a toughie...

Well I guess I'd like to keep it to a couple of hundred quid ideally, but I do like my music. I would be nice to have a bit of a kick from the bass but would rather not go to the trouble and mess of wires that is involved with a sub etc.

Its one of these things where you could end up spending a lot of money... And there was me saying that I wasn't going to modify this one. Already thinking how nice it would look lowered a bit, a turbo timer would be practical, and a waste gate would make it sound even cooler.

Turbo_Steve
24-02-2009, 12:00 PM
You probably mean a dumpvalve, not a waste gate: i.e. the "FSSHT" sound.
It already has a pair of wastegates fitted. It also actually has a dumpvalve, but it's the quiet "Recirculating" type, rather than the "FSSST! Vent to atmosphere" type.

A turbo timer is a complete waste of money IMO...just drive sensibly for the last mile home and you'll have much the same effect: our turbos are watercooled, so the problems with the oil baking in the bearings is significantly reduced. And usually, your immobiliser won't get on well with the timer anyway.

See how much money I am saving you? :D

Lowering....sounds like a good idea to me!

Now...to the Stereo:

Focal stuff is excellent...you can do a lot worse than what has been said above and get focal speakers front and rear. I'm not aware of ANY in car speakers that need their own powersupply? Some components have an external crossover (I believe the focals are no exception) but this is easy to hide inside the door, and adds above 10 minutes of wiring to the job as it ALL stays inside the door. So I wouldn't stress.

Dynamat / Brownbread / generic sound deadening the door is a good idea as it will give you masses more bass.

I'd start with just front and rear speakers on your Sony Headunit to start with.

Then I'd probably invest in an amplifier.

Then I would start looking for a decent (i.e. Non-Sony) headunit, as I can honestly say I have never heard one that compared to Pioneer at the same money...but that's a personal thing.

Lastly....subwoofer. Yes, they're a pain...but there are a few threads on here with people finding ways to hide them. If you can swallow the effort of hiding the wiring, they really do make a huge difference.

andydckent
24-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Great advice! Thanks very much!

It seems that the Focal Access speakers are the way to go. Does anyone have a link to the correct, slimline version, that I should be looking for? Not sure how much longer I can stand the buzzing....

andydckent
24-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Right think I have found them on http://caraudiosecurity.com/

There is no mention of a slimline version though? Will this create problems?

This may be a dumb question but do the speakers come as pairs or do I need to buy two of each?

W4dey
24-02-2009, 01:24 PM
should come as a pair unless stated otherwise , if your looking for a cheap sub amp package to start your trip into the world of ice , i moght be able to help you out on that as have a 10" sub, with box and 2 channel amp sat in my garage at mo, dont have spare wiring kit. though you can pick 1 up at halfords for about £30. as for fitting (hiding wires) have worked out how to in a saloon cant see an estate being any harder.

will have a look for the slimline versions of those speakers a lil later on and let you know, as ive just blown my standard speakers :(

agreed for value for money and performance pioneer head units are brill, just bought a sevic headunit which exceeds the pioneer, but im having trouble with fitment at mo lol

will let you know about the speakers when i find out :)

W4dey
24-02-2009, 01:29 PM
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/2779.html

these are the focal 165v-slim or v2s depending on website not so cheap but have heard good things bout them

also poss consider these : http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/7056.html

dont know what everyone else thinks to rainbow, but having had a set for a short time before, clarity was amazing

hope this helps

andydckent
24-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks,

So I take it the non slimlines ones would need modification to fit? If this is the case and the slim ones sound better it might be worth me forking out.

As for the rear speakers, do they need to be slimline? If it exists, or will the standard coaxial speakers fit?

Thanks

Andy

Turbo_Steve
24-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Best advice is to remove one front speaker and one rear speaker, wind the windows down and mesure the space, dude.

If you are prepared to make up a spacer ring, you can usually gain an extra 5mm or so if required.

jay_b_m
24-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I bought a set of rainbows for the front ages ago and still going stong and agree with W4dey they're the best i've had so far,

No mods at all to the speaker pods or but did have to fiddle with the tweeter though to make it fit

Danj
24-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Im running in-phase in my front doors give a nice kick without being overly bassy, think they were quite reasonable.........

crazydriver81
24-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I've put the non-slim Focal speakers into the doors, without problems. It seems to be tight but it will fit perfectly. IMO a normal ferrite magnet is better than the neodymium magnets... :D

Keep us updated how the story "continues" ;)

andydckent
25-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Reckon I am going to order the focal speakers. Do I require any additional wiring before I place my order? :)

andydckent
25-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I've put the non-slim Focal speakers into the doors, without problems. It seems to be tight but it will fit perfectly. IMO a normal ferrite magnet is better than the neodymium magnets... :D

Keep us updated how the story "continues" ;)
What about the rear coaxial ones? Do they fit without fouling the windows as well? Read on OZVR4 that there is less space in the rear doors.

andydckent
25-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Assuming they will fit... I can be a bit impatient lol! Speakers on the way! :)

MarkSanne
25-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Focal's are great! I have a Focal compo set (polyglass 100v2) in one of my 6G's and for a compo with a 10cm 'woofer' they sound extremly good (a set of older oval JBL's in the back to support lower frequencies and stage).

In the VR2 I have a set of Hertz HKS165 compo's in the front which I think are fantastic, but I did use dynamat in the front doors which helps a great deal too. The added DLS 12" sub in a special mini-housing + big amp helps too ofcourse. For the Legnum I have 2 sets of these Hertz compo's waiting to get installed...

Anyways: if the Focal's are available I'm sure you're going to enjoy them!

andydckent
26-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Speakers arrived today! That's a super fast delivery time given I only ordered them yesterday at 0100 in the morning!

www.caraudiosecurity.com/

Guess I'll be fitting them on Saturday, can't wait to hear em! :P

Andy

VR4WGN
28-02-2009, 08:03 PM
My suggestion woulf be DLS B6A front components and Pioneer 2 way 6.5 coaxials for the rear.

Not sure how much they cost over that way...

i would haveto agree with this,i did this in the Viento i just built up

Nick Mann
28-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Neodymium (Rare Earth) magnets are a fair bit stronger than ferrites. And more expensive. All things being equal, they should sound better than a ferrite. BUT if they are greatly reducing the size of the magnet then it may not be a fair comparison.

andydckent
01-03-2009, 03:34 AM
I can't remember how the speakers inside the door were wired. Can anyone tell me if the tweeters are wired directly off the front door speakers or if they split off earlier on?

I assume I should just feed the wiring in the door speaker into the crossover (not sure if that's what its called), hide that inside the door underneath and next to where the bit sticks out for the window buttons and then run connections from there to the tweeter and door speaker? Bought some 4m of decent speaker cable for doing this.

Nick Mann
01-03-2009, 10:04 AM
That sounds like a reasonable assumption. I'm not sure how the factory tweeters are wired in though, so maybe someone who has already done the job can confirm.

CANDEE
01-03-2009, 10:34 AM
The factory tweeter is wired off the mid. There should be two wires coming off it, one from the H/U or amp, the other to the factory tweeter(this has an inline cap on it too).

The suggestion of the DLS B6A/Pioneer coaxis combo is a good one. :)

I have DLS MS6A's and will be likely putting a set of DLS RS6 into another members car soon.

J

John TheAntique
01-03-2009, 04:11 PM
I stuck an Impulse SLB-300 power subwoofer from bassjunkies.com
under HER seat. When she plays her dub reggae on our weekend visits to Cornwall by ther time we get to Penzance she is very
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
#
excited..

bradc
01-03-2009, 07:01 PM
post of the year?

pitslayer
03-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Some components have an external crossover (I believe the focals are no exception) but this is easy to hide inside the door, and adds above 10 minutes of wiring to the job as it ALL stays inside the door. So I wouldn't stress.

Then I would start looking for a decent (i.e. Non-Sony) headunit, as I can honestly say I have never heard one that compared to Pioneer at the same money...but that's a personal thing.

Firstly I tried that first one with my crossovers, its a great idea especially if you enjoy getting them soaking wet. Dont put them in your doors, rain seeps down the window scraper, fills the bottom of the door up, soaking your crossover and possibly ruining them, I did it originally, then went to amp my front speakers, got the door card off, pulled the cross over out, and then drained all the water out of it

Second point, Yes! Sony audio has gone downhill in the past few years, I really dont have time, nor will spend money on anything Sony. Headunit in my car doesnt really matter as I will eventually get around to getting a proper audio card for my carputer, and make it redundant. I needed a headunit which had AUX in, and RCA out, I had a choice of a nasty looking JVC headunit which would look really good in some ming, hatchback on 18"s and some horrible JBL speakers, or the equivalent Sony, I walked out with the JVC....Thank god it gets hidden away so no one can see the nastiness that it is /lol

As for components I got a set of these, and they are currently at a bargainous price
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8332.html
2 sets of them, fronts are run as mid and tweeters, and the rears have the tweeter mounted in them, as you cant change them to where you want the tweeters, coaxial or components

Turbo_Steve
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I've had this problem. I just put plastic bags over the crossovers and the problem went away.

andydckent
07-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Well that's the job done! No problems what so ever installing those focal component speakers front and focal co-axials in the back! Sounds mint! :D