PDA

View Full Version : Ebc > Mbc

scott.mohekey
25-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, I installed a Blitz SSBC last night, and I have to say that in my experience, it kicks the ass of any MBC.

It effectively gives me three boost settings: off, low, and high.

Off is the spring rate of the actuator, so around 7psi.

Low, I have set to about 10psi, and high is set to the max which seems to give around 13psi, sometimes peaking to 14.

Now, I know this is a cheap EBC and doesn't let me do any of the fancy things that the more expensive ones do (play with the shape of the curve and what have you) but it seems to be more than enough for a daily driver. There IS a gain dial on the controller which I imagine has something to do with the duty cycle of the solenoid, but I haven't played with that yet.

elnevio
25-02-2009, 10:16 PM
That sounds interesting! I have to admit, I'd like the switchability, as I feel the boost comes in a bit violently at times, especially if you're a bit eager with the loud pedal pulling out of junctions!

What was the cost? (I appreciate it'll be in NZD :))

scott.mohekey
25-02-2009, 10:21 PM
The switchability is VERY handy. I can drive around the place with it off and the boost is only slightly more aggressive than stock (the stock solenoid is out of the loop).

I managed to pick this up for $150 simply because it didn't have a solenoid. I happened to have one lying around from something else so saved myself at least $100.

John TheAntique
25-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I've got a Blitz Dual-SBC spec S. It has 4 settings and sits neatly in the fag packet holder by my right knee and so I can turn the power up and down at will without looking. I can't remember how much it was (I got it off fleabay) but it's been worth every penny just for the extra conrol and flexibility. Highly recommended.

miller
26-02-2009, 11:13 AM
The spec S on the blitz seem cheaper than the spec R which im having difficulty distinguishing the differences...anyone?

Turbo_Steve
26-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Spec-R has a pair of opposed soleoids, so offers faster state-changes inside the valve, giving you more for your duty cycle, especially at higher boost.

I don't see that you need a Spec-R for anything that isn't running external wastegates or similar.

scott.mohekey
26-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I thought that the Spec S (Street Spec) Dual SBC had two solenoids as well? As far as I know:

SSBC Single S Spec Boost Controller
DSBC Dual S Spec Boost Controller

Turbo_Steve
26-02-2009, 08:32 PM
That's the first time I've heard that? - If that's the case, what's the Spec-R? LOL

scott.mohekey
26-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, after a bit of research I've discovered the following:

The Dual Solenoid Boost Controller S(DSBC Spec S) has four programmable boost settings or various levels of boost. ... The DSBC Spec S uses a single solenoid design for boost response, capable of handling boost up to 1.2 bar (17 psi).

(from http://www.blitz-performance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=9&zenid=6a0837d9a682bf54c3ff5b04d641a1ff).

The Dual Solenoid Boost Controller R (DSBC Spec R) has four programmable boost settings or various levels of boost. ... The DSBC Spec R uses a dual solenoid design for maximum boost response, capable of handling boost up to 2.5 bar (36 psi).

(from http://www.blitz-performance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=10&zenid=6a0837d9a682bf54c3ff5b04d641a1ff)

The SSBC's are discontinued, so I couldn't really find much on them, but it seems like its the same deal, SSBC Spec S has one solenoid, while the Spec R has two.

This begs the question.. what the hell does the Single Solenoid in SSBC and Duel Solenoid in DSBC mean?

I do know that the Spec R's have four boost settings while the Spec S's have two.

John TheAntique
26-02-2009, 09:32 PM
My Spec S has 4 settings. I think the Spec R has two solenoids thus allowing twice the boost i.e 35 psi as opposed to 17 psi so unless your going to really really blast it the Spec S is ideal for our purposes. A wicked bit of kit. By the way ignore the Blitz instructions that say the Spec S can't be used on twin turbos it can on ours.A better explanation of set up can be found on www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9589/dsbc_manual.html?200816

scott.mohekey
26-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I have an SSBC Spec S in mine and it works wonderfully.

Soo.. it looks like SSBC = 2 settings, DSBC = 4 settings, Spec S = 1 solenoid, Spec R = 2 solenoids?

John TheAntique
26-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Yup. Lovely precis.

scott.mohekey
26-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I can't imagine why you'd want more than two settings.

John TheAntique
28-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Basicaly because temperature changes make a lot of diference. If I'm in a hurry I switch to seting 4 which is fine when outside temp is above about 15o C but below this I get fuel cut so I turn it down to setting 3 which is fine until the outside temp falls to about below 7o C then I have to turn it down to setting 2. Most of the time toddling back and forth to work I have it on setting 1 which is stock but, like you, turn it up a bit sometimes. Being an ex clock restorer I am sure barometric pressure also has an effect. The CVR4 article on Boost Spiking has several references to temperature.

John TheAntique
28-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Any way some push bikes have 26 gears, I can't see the point of that at all.

scott.mohekey
28-02-2009, 05:28 AM
Ah that makes sense. I wonder if its possible to develop a boost controller that uses barometric pressure and ambient temperature as inputs as well as current boost.

John TheAntique
28-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Brill idea, it can't be dificult to wire in some type of aneroid barometer and variable thermostat to to take over the one click at a time adjustment on the EBC. Don't F1 cars have something? I must put my thinking hat on.

scott.mohekey
28-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure www.autospeed.com.au sells kits to do exactly that (for the temperature at least).