PDA

View Full Version : Difference between pre post auto gearbox

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
As title .I haven't seen any posts about differences between the 2 boxes but when I tested keith's gearbox ecu in my car it also would not drive in 1st gear as what keith's car is doing at the moment. Fine in tip though. This implies there must be a difference and it may be that we need to fit a pre facelift ecu to Keith's car. I'll have to pull my one out again to test this.
The gearbox in keith's car now is a prefacelift

Anybody running a facelift gearbox ecu in a prefacelift??

miller
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
just on a very slight off chance, have you opened up the ECU itself and checked for board damage?

Mike

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
No haven't done that Mike as we have a second facelift ecu which does the same thing

TAR
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Nutter_John may have a prefacelift gearbox ECU if you want one.

:happy:

Nutter_John
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah I do have one

There will be a difference between the ecu's as the pre has to also deal with Traction control and ASC , this was shown up when Atik did the manual convertion he had to leave the auto ecu pluged in or all the lights on the dash came on

where as StarScreams which is a facelft just worked with out the ecu

Starscream
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Peter and Keith have my old autobox ecu

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes I have a TCL fault when it's plugged in but I didn't think it would effect the gearbox.
We'll try my one in Keith's car to see if it works and then Keith will probably be in touch John if that sorts the problem.

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Peter and Keith have my old autobox ecu

Yes Rich that's why I think the 1st gear problen is just the ecu. I hope

bradc
02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
As I posted on ozvr4 it may be due to the later gearboxes having a one way clutch in them. Not sure how this affects things though.

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
As I posted on ozvr4 it may be due to the later gearboxes having a one way clutch in them. Not sure how this affects things though.

Yes just posted a reply there Brad

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes the box that came out has owc stamped on it

keithatport
02-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I know facelifts do not have traction control, but do they have ASC?

Cheers, Keith

Nutter_John
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
No they don't have TC or ASC

keithatport
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Cheers John. I don't suppose you know why they stopped them?

Keith

Gly
03-03-2009, 06:11 AM
ASC was a lemon,
they had a hugh recall on ASC equipt cars nitrogen build up in the system causing break failure,

and rather than fit it on the facelifts i think they decided best to just ditch it,

and IMO you dont really need TC on a 4wd car, personally i think its a bit dangerous, (trying to shot into a gap, car bigs down etc,)

bradc
03-03-2009, 06:36 AM
The ASC/TCL was actually an option on facelifts, I have seen two facelift cars with it. Auto's only though.

I did quite like the ASC on my white VR-4 though, it was fun pushing it sideways on gravel and having the car fix itself everytime. You really could just point the steering wheel to any angle and the car would take off in that angle even when sliding 50 degrees sideways on gravel :D

peter thomson
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Swapped in my pre facelift ecu tonight and the gearbox is working in drive though the changes are rough though I expect they'll soon improve.

Therefore you need a matching ecu if you change between a box with or without OWC (one way clutch)

White Lightning
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Peter ... IIRC the reason the original owner of the car that that gearbox (and my engine) came from decided to get rid of the car after he had the gearbox repaired/rebuilt and then when he got it back the gear changes were rough. It was mentioned to him at the time that it would probably settle down but had already lost patience with the car.

peter thomson
05-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Peter ... IIRC the reason the original owner of the car that that gearbox (and my engine) came from decided to get rid of the car after he had the gearbox repaired/rebuilt and then when he got it back the gear changes were rough. It was mentioned to him at the time that it would probably settle down but had already lost patience with the car.

I think it just the ecu relearning after being swapped as the changes had been very smooth until I changed it tonight.

elnevio
05-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Would a list of cross-matched parts be of use here, i.e. part numbers for those gearbox ECUs for 'boxes with and without OWC?

White Lightning
05-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I think it just the ecu relearning after being swapped as the changes had been very smooth until I changed it tonight.

Sounds like it Peter ... mine does some really odd gear changes for about the first 100 miles after the battery is disconnected.

peter thomson
05-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Would a list of cross-matched parts be of use here, i.e. part numbers for those gearbox ECUs for 'boxes with and without OWC?

The boxes with OWC are stamped on the case .I'll check the numbers on it at the weekend and the part number of the matching ecu's .