PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Rich_S
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Thought I'd best introduce myself. I've finally joined the club after 6 months of owning a Legnum. Well its just failed its MOT so I'm looking for inspiration and support from others who have been in my position before.

aboo
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi & welcom to the club

TAR
02-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi and welcome.

Its a shame your 1st post is a problem but I'm sure it can be sorted.

What did the car fail on? Its usually emissions and the best way to fix that is to drive it like you stole it first to get the cat really hot. The other thing with emissions is to ensure it is tested as a non cat vehicle (if its a jap import), the vehicle is not listed in the MOT regs and so cant officially be tested.

If its anything machanical, parts are usually fairly easy to get.

:happy:

elnevio
02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
/Welcome

Just to echo TAR's sentiments, if it's emissions it's failed on, make sure they are not using the UK V6 Galant for settings on the emissions machine. Mine was MoTed week before last, without the need for me to even put the cat back on! :D

Any other probs, and you're in the right place too! :thumbsup:

Look forward to some pictures of your Leggie too... /yes

peter thomson
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi and welcome to the club.

Rich_S
02-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Part of the failure was emissions (Lambda reading too high), and the front exhaust/downpipe was very corroded. A front coil was fractured and a rear shock was leaking, CV boot split and suspension arm had excessive play in ball joint. Was more like reading a novel!

This was done at a Mitsubishi dealership who offered ralliart servicing, so I thought they'd be a good start. They also quoted for the repairs (how much an hour??!!!) to get it through, so I thought rather than remortgage I would take it to my local garage and source the parts myself. Thankfully Camskill had everything I required. Decided to replace all my shocks/coils with a Tein coilover kit.

Bring on Thursday when all the parts are due to be fitted.

Nick Mann
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Excessive play in the ball joint could well be a recall item. The recall was for the ball joint on the straight lower arm on the front suspension. The recall has been around for a long time now, but it's always worth checking if your car has been done or not.

There have been issues with the lower arms from camskill, so it may be worth searching this site on that if you have bought that arm.

As per others on the emissions, if you MOT man won't test it as an import with no official reading, then usually driving it like you stole it for 10 mins and then checking straight away solves the problem.

A Tein coilover kit is the way forwards for an upgrade at less than original part costs! :D

elnevio
03-03-2009, 01:15 AM
As per others on the emissions, if you MOT man won't test it as an import with no official reading, then usually driving it like you stole it for 10 mins and then checking straight away solves the problem.
I was secretly disappointed that I didn't need to 'warm up' my Leggie for its MoT...

Rich_S
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
I have already contacted Mitsubishi UK to see if there are any recalls awaiting on my Legnum, but they have to contact Japan so I will have to wait a couple of weeks. Going to have the front bottom arm part fitted anyway, and if it has to be done again on a recall then so be it.
I'm hoping that my Lambda reading of 1.152 was down to the front exhaust having a major leak, this could also be the cause of my high fuel consumption - around 15mpg.

Thanks for the info.

peter thomson
03-03-2009, 02:16 PM
You can check the recall status online with your chassis number

http://recall.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/Recall/resultrecallstatus.do

Rich_S
03-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I gave that recall status page a try, but I think that because my legnum was first registered in the UK it doesn't appear to like the chassis number. So Mitsubishi UK say its an import and have to contact Japan, and Japan website doesn't have the info because it was first reg'd in the UK.

Rich_S
03-03-2009, 04:10 PM
I have just had a call from Mitsubishi UK saying that there is no recall work to be done on my Legnum. Oh well, it was worth a try. Any idea how I find out if any recall work has been done since it was new?

Nick VR4
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi and welcome

AncientOfMu
03-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Rich.

welcome to CVR4 :).

Im just down the road from you in Royston.

If you want to meet up and ask the frequently asked questions I would be more than happy to meet you for an hour or so.

I'm free most evenings during the week.

Rich_S
03-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Thats a very kind offer AncientOfMu. Once I get back on the road I'll get in touch.

pitslayer
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Thats a very kind offer AncientOfMu. Once I get back on the road I'll get in touch.
Very good offer, Don is a nice bloke very knowledgeable and if you ever want your car looking super shiney he is the man to see ;)

AncientOfMu
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM

If you're cars off the road but at you're house i can still come to see you.

Always happy to come perve over another VR4 :)

If its still at the garage where you had the MOT done then fair enough.

out of interest where did you have it done?

Cheers

Don

Rich_S
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Don, my car is on my driveway but will be at the Garage from Thursday, hope to get it back with MOT/Tax on Monday.

Mantles in Biggleswade did the original MOT, but I doubt I will be going back there again.

AncientOfMu
03-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Tmrw night it is then if you are free :P

:)

PM me if ya want

valleyforge1
08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi and welcome along to the club.

Plenty of inspiration on here mate.

Iam down in Huntingdon tomorrow and a flash stop in Northampton.