PDA

View Full Version : 18" wheels

SGHOM
12-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Not reccomended !!! they are just too damned low ! 40 profile tyres do not give enough protection from kerbs/stones etc. & the alloys I've fitted are too proud of the tyre itself. just take a look !! :veryangry
they are in a sorry state !! :$ :$

Nick VR4
12-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Ouch that is not a pretty site :(

BraindG
12-04-2004, 01:12 PM
holy moly, what you been doing?! - playing pinball with the kerbs?

Kieran
12-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Derek - That tyre's been like that for month now... :stare: :nono:

I shall say zis only once!!! :soapbox:

Get it sorted before it blows out on you!

Legnum + blown out tyre + 70mph = Potential Disaster!!! :lolice:

zedy1
12-04-2004, 03:50 PM
kierans right there derek

ive got low profiles to 225 40 18 and never really had a problem :p

Lurch
12-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Have 18's on my legnum.. no problems yet.. (fingers crossed) well apart from a slow leak in the back right hand side tyre...LOL

SGHOM
12-04-2004, 07:12 PM
I have no excuses for the damage to my wheels/tyres, safe to say most of it is Mrs [ I hate your car ] Interlecs fault !! but I also have caught a pebble occasionally !
If you look at the picture, you'll see just how much the wheels protrude from the tyre & wheel arch. It's no suprise that they keep getting scuffed !! :huh: I could have them refurbished at a cost of £25 per corner, but the damage would soon be evident again. :$ I doubt whether my tyres would pass the MOT. so I'm left with a dilema ??
A; new tyres ??
B; put old wheels back on ??
C; invest in some nice 17" , refurb these, & sell them ?? :(

Kieran
12-04-2004, 08:12 PM
I would put the originals back on, then refurb and sell the 18s...

landy
12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Derek, If you do decide to sell the 18" how much for? (I fancy 18" wheels on mine :-D )

Brind
12-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Derek, If you do decide to sell the 18" how much for? (I fancy 18" wheels on mine :-D )

Hope you're a better driver than Derek then. :-D

SGHOM
12-04-2004, 09:25 PM
IMHO, my alloys look really good, & eyecatching. It's just a pity that they are prone to too many knocks & scrapes. I dont think I could sell them to another club member, either as they are, or refurbished. They cost me £862 !! :$ [ including tyres ]

Brind
12-04-2004, 09:35 PM
For 18's you seem to have quite a bit of space between your wheels and arches, or is it just tthe angle of the car in that last picture?

SGHOM
12-04-2004, 09:48 PM
1; It's the angle of the car on my drive, & 2; yes !! there is a lot of space between the wheel & the arch ?? but they are the correct wheels & tyres for the Legnum ?? I've always pondered over this ?? :undecided

Lurch
12-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Hmm, my 18's fill the gap between wheel and arch quite nicely. Gives the car a lowered look.

So quite surprised to see such a huge gap :eek:

Dan_G
12-04-2004, 10:58 PM
I have found on every car I have, or my mates have put bigger than standard alloys on, that it emphasizes :p the wheelarch gap..... dunno why :thinking: I have thought about it and I have came to the conclusion that the gap between the top of the wheel and wheelarch must be equal or less than the profile of the rubber to look right......... its just what I have noticed, therefore my rule of thumb :thumbsup: when getting bigger alloys is I always buy lowering springs at the same then fit it all together, I always like the wow factor this produces. :boing3:

Lurch
12-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Hmm, possibly my car has been already lowered before I baught it then ;)

I just keep finding out more and more stuff the more I look into things...

wirdy
13-04-2004, 12:37 AM
....... I have came to the conclusion that the gap between the top of the wheel and wheelarch must be equal or less than the profile of the rubber to look right......... its just what I have noticed, therefore my rule of thumb:

I've always noticed this too, but I've never been able to work out why :thinking: ...until I read your description....I think you've got it dead-right. :)

Spirit
14-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Derek, you must be gutted mate - but I remember at the time how you loved them, just glad I went for 17's in the end. Don't blame u for not selling to another VR4 owner though :D

Pete M
15-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Looking at the pic showing the front wheel looking forward, it appears to me that the tyres are a bit narrow for the rim width. Most tyres overhang the edge of the rim and so provide (a little) buffer against kerb damage. If the tyre size is correct for 18s, then whoever sold the wheels to you has cocked up the rim width. As your tyres are damaged, you could see about trying one with a greater width, to see how it looks, before you fit it on the car.

I sympathise about the wife, mine once hated a MK2 Jag I had, and eventually I sold it to keep the peace. (She liked the Series 3 XJ12 I replaced it with...) She loves the Legnum, after all, it's technically hers, as she chose it and her name is on the number plate. :-D Mind you, she didn't know what a VR-4 was before she got it..