PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - Retro fit leather & or Cruise control

rhino1401
15-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi all,
I am not currently an owner but will be shortly.

I was wondering if it is possible to retro fit Leather and/or cruise control if the 'right' vehicle (FSH, mileage condition etc) has one or neither option.

If the leather is elctric control and heated are the looms in the car already?

If it is possible how hard is it to do?

Many thanks and loving the forum
Andy

ps. I shall join the club membership as soon as the Galant is bought.

elnevio
15-03-2009, 03:36 PM
/Welcome

What model are you looking to get? VR-4, or a UK V6/2.0? Or something else?!

rhino1401
15-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Sorry - forgot to put

Am thinking of a UK 2.0 Galant

Thanks

elnevio
15-03-2009, 03:50 PM
The leather is fairly easy to retrofit - as long as you get an interior from a Galant saloon (assuming you are getting a saloon yourself!). Having said that, the only difference is really the shape of the rear seat side bolsters. Don't *think* there is a difference in the UK saloon/estate rear seat latching points. If you get an interior out of a VR-4 saloon however, the rear seat back is fixed (i.e. doesn't fold down). This may not present a problem though - but could be worth checking if such an interior comes up.

Anyway, UK interiors you are unlikely to have a problem with as most will be out of a saloon, seeing as they are a lot more common than the estate.

As for the electrics, the loom may be there already - or at least partially, just make sure you get the wiring with the seats. And be careful if there are any side airbags. If you get a leather interior from a VR-4, it is highly unlikely to have electrics.

Cruise control - not sure how easy a retrofit is on a 2.0. If the throttle-body is the same as the V6, then it shouldn't be too bad, I would have thought.

rhino1401
15-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Many thanks.
Yes I'd be looking at a saloon.

I'll see what turns up - and post as soon as I can get pics.

Cheers

elnevio
15-03-2009, 04:02 PM
There are a few breakers on here - zedy1; WODJNO; psbarham (may be others I can't think of!) - stuff also comes up on eBay. :)

rhino1401
15-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks.
I think I need to get the best car I can afford and then look at what I need to make it better.

Zaid
15-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks.
I think I need to get the best car I can afford and then look at what I need to make it better.

You may also wish to consider the V6... have a look at the mpg figures, not a massive difference, plus its a better engine in terms of sound and performance.

rhino1401
15-03-2009, 10:45 PM
I have been toying with the V6.
Actually the cost of a new interior & cruise control would possibly outweigh the mpg cost for a short while anyway.

Oh decisions decisions.
I'll let you know.

HMG1K
15-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I got mine retro fitted on my V6 - £600 inc VAT, 14 months ago at a dealer.

See this thread, post #22 onwards: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28321&page=2&highlight=cruise

That same thread has other members here who did a group-buy on the same unit from the USA that Mitsubishi use for a couple of hundred pounds. There may be a few still available for sale on here from that group-buy from people who haven't got around to fitting the units to their cars.