PDA

View Full Version : FS: Track day helmets at Lidl!

elnevio
17-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Hello track fans!

This week at Lidl, they are selling open-face helmets (aimed at motorcyclists) which should do the job for track day use. They are UN ECE-R and TÜV tested, and come with removable cheek pads, scratch-proof visor, quick-release strap and a storage bag. :helmet:

All for the princely sum of £29.99! :deal2:

Here's one in the box:

And I've bought one in attractive anthracite, and beautifully modelled it thus:

Also available in blue and black. The helmet that is, not me! /pan Not sure on other colours.

Mucho bargainos! :pimp2:

SGHOM
17-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Nice helmet Nev......... & nice pic !! :afro: :scholar:

Have a guess where thats going to be posted LOL :pimp2: :evilgrin:

elnevio
17-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Nice helmet Nev......... & nice pic !! :afro: :scholar:

Hmmm, your usual hunting ground - the gents in the Abbey?! :P

I wonder...

chris g
17-03-2009, 11:47 PM
May NOT meet spec required by some trackday organisers, although as we have discussed here before I believe, not many if any check std of helmets before you go out on track...

But if they did this helmet may be inadequate...

apeman69
18-03-2009, 08:00 AM
May NOT meet spec required by some trackday organisers, although as we have discussed here before I believe, not many if any check std of helmets before you go out on track...

But if they did this helmet may be inadequate...

As it's a 'Jet Helmet' and therefore designed for the Lidl-frequenting airplane pilots amongst us I'm sure it must be of adequate spec! And at £29.99 surely it is! :speechles

Beastlee
18-03-2009, 08:06 AM
If it's TüV approved it's undergone some strict testing! There's a thread about TüV requirements for The Ring and half the stuff sold in the UK wouldn't comply. If these helmets are approved for that then they should be good enough for the UK tracks.

HJM
18-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Never had my helmet checked at a trackday - Ooh Aah !

Get rid of the visor Nev - you look like you are about to deliver a pizza /pan

You can buy helmets galore for that price on tinternet, but trying them on is a problem !

H

apeman69
18-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Also available in blue and black. The helmet that is, not me!

I'm sure you'd be available in black and blue though, should you happen to pass by many a city centre pub on a saturday night at chucking out time whilst wearing said Tom Cruise-esque head gear. :evilgrin:
Perhaps a suitable suitability test?

Lillywotsername
18-03-2009, 08:24 AM
On Face Book.... Oooop sorry... too late tis done :evilgrin:

elnevio
18-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Tom Cruise-esque head gear
Hmmm, you've given me an idea*.

*Please note: Idea is not necessarily a good one...

chris g
18-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Article from PH...

Approved for use
Life would be much simpler if there was a single, universal method of approving helmets. But there isn’t. In Europe you’ll commonly find three different sets of approval initials: BS, ECE and SA.

BS6658-85 is the British Standard for crash helmets. Any helmet meeting this is legal for road use on a motorcycle. The standard is divided into three categories: Type A/FR (red label) for helmets with a fire-resistant lining, Type A (blue label) for high-performance helmets and Type B (green label) for lower-rated helmets.

ECE is the Economic Community of Europe approval system. ECE 22-05 is also legal for bikers in the UK, but the older and less stringent ECE 22-04 standard is not.

SA is the US Snell Foundation’s ‘Sports Activity’ standard for car racing helmets. SA-standard helmets have tougher visors than bike helmets and are required to pass a rollbar impact test. Snell also has a less stringent series of standards for motorcycle helmets, the latest being Snell M2005.

In addition to those you may see the US Department of Transport (DOT) standard for bike helmets, the FIA’s 8860-2004 ‘super helmet’ standard for top-level racing helmets, another American standard called SFI31, and the ACU Gold and Silver standards which approve helmets for bike racing.

Whether these approvals actually help riders and drivers to choose helmets which best protect them is a moot point. The hardest standards to meet are the SA2005 and (similar) FIA standards, and these force helmet manufacturers to stiffen the energy absorbing layer inside the helmet to ensure that it doesn’t squash completely in a major impact. The problem with that comes in impacts which are less severe, but still serious, where these stiffer helmets transmit higher forces to the wearer. The dilemma is whether or not those bigger impacts are relevant to real-world accidents and therefore worth designing for – and you’ll find eminent experts on both sides of that argument.

Helmet Standards
But the merits of the different approval systems don’t really concern us here – what’s important is that you choose a helmet which carries the approval labels required at the events where you’ll be using it.

Helmet standards for track days vary from one organiser or circuit to the next, and checks on the day are often only cursory. Most of the time you could probably get away with any helmet, provided it was in good condition and fitted properly. But to avoid being caught out, be aware that many organisers will not allow Type B bike helmets, and some will only allow open-face helmets in hard-top cars. If you run an open car you’ll need to get a full-face helmet.

Increasingly, track day organisers specify the same helmet standards as those which apply to motor sport. These are easier to pin down because they’re spelt out in section Q of the ‘Blue Book’ – the MSA Motor Sports Yearbook. For club racing or speed events, you need a helmet which meets one or more of the following: FIA8860-2004, SA2005 or 2000, SFI 31.1A or 31.2A, BS 6658-85 Type A/FR or Type A (but not Type B). Helmets used in competition must be scrutineered before use to check their suitability. The scrutineer will attach a blue MSA approval sticker.

Which to choose?
The first fundamental choice is between open-face (or ‘jet’) helmets and full-face lids. Some people find full-face helmets claustrophobic, or find communication easier with an open-face (which is why they are still popular in rallying). But the safety advantages of a full-face helmet are indisputable and as we’ve already mentioned, some track-day organisers insist on them in open cars. So unless you find the open-face helmet’s advantages compelling, full-face is the way to go.

We’d steer clear of Type B bike helmets because they’re no good for competitive motor sport, and increasingly inadmissible for track days. Instead aim for a BS6658 Type A or A/FR helmet – the latter will have a fire-resistant Nomex liner. British Standards approved helmets are zero rated for VAT, so these tend to be cheaper than equivalent lids which only have Snell SA approval.

Each helmet manufacturer produces helmets which are a slightly different shape, so try on several and find the one that best matches your head. The helmet should be a snug fit, but not so tight that it gives you headaches. You’ll feel like a berk, but wear it around the shop for half an hour to see if it becomes uncomfortable. Try these two useful tests. With the helmet on and the strap tight, try twisting the helmet around on your head, or get a helper to do it for you. Only a slight movement should be possible. Then try pulling up and forwards on the back of the helmet – you shouldn’t be able to roll the helmet off your head.

Your head, you choose..

If you have £30 head, but a £30 crash helmet...

miller
18-03-2009, 10:00 AM
like im going rally driving.......this is my road car, not a Group b rally car. i personally think if your gonna go into that much detail and worry about the above then there is a million more safety items to add to your car first.

I have one of these, bought it two years ago, used it a few times and track officials have never said dont use that. TUV approved so theres something there.

Mike

elnevio
18-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Spot on Mike!

And I now have a new profile pic on FB...

Lillywotsername
18-03-2009, 11:27 AM
And a stunning one it is too Nev :D X

chris g
18-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Yes it's spot on that we are not rallying and the point of the article is about choosing the right crash helmet for your circumstances...

And yes you can improve things on the car for safety...

But when going on track some organisers require certain std of crash helmet and can turn you away if you have the wrong one...

It's fortunate that they do not check much if at all, at the moment...

But stds that they require are higher than basic EEC std...

And I do not know but TUV maybe similar to that basic std...

TUV does not mean a high std for crash helmets and I have no idea about it...

The std required by many TDO's can be found on crash helmets from Demon Tweeks around £80-90 - not tooo expensive...

I assume that higher stds mean more protection for my head and I personally would like to have best protection that I can afford - find a balance between protection and cost...

I would not buy the four-figure crash helmets that race/rally drivers might buy but I would spend a few hundred to look after my brain on track - trackdays are not rally/racing but nor are they the public road and things happen - things go wrong so for me a decent crash helmet is worth it...

If you are happy with a Lidl or similar crash helmet than thats for you...

chris g
18-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I may be too eager - if Lidl crash helmet meets TDO stds as some bragain helmets may do, then it is worth considering...

...if you can cope with the 'style'...

Spirit
18-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Chris is right, as with anything safety related (be it helmets, brakes, tyres etc) buy the best you can afford/justify for your personal purposes/circumstances.

Would you spend a few hundred on a helmet rather than a roll-cage though Chris ?

chris g
18-03-2009, 10:06 PM
For trackdays ?....

Yes crash helmet before roll cage...

apeman69
20-03-2009, 07:35 AM
chris g: I think your contribution to this thread has been very sensible, informative and useful. Thanks. :2thumbsup

HJM
20-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Good advice as always Mr G /yes

Also consider buying a CG Lock for £30+ I wouldn't want to track without mine now.

H