PDA

View Full Version : Question ??

CARMEL120
17-03-2009, 11:25 PM
do we no how many of the autoboxs have give trouble it seems everyday somebodys box has failed what would be the % be

elnevio
17-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Doubt there's any stats available, but I'd guess something like 1-2% of auto boxes failing in a twelve-month period, mostly due to incorrect/poor/complete absence of servicing - and then a few anomalies (like Ariadne...).

Wodjno
18-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Doubt there's any stats available, but I'd guess something like 1-2% of auto boxes failing in a twelve-month period, mostly due to incorrect/poor/complete absence of servicing - and then a few anomalies (like Ariadne...).
I would prolly put it at 1% or less ? And are we talking Autoboxes on cars that have stock power ? Or cars that have been modded ?

My Autobox gave out on me3 months after i bought the car.. The car had been recently imported(6months) used only for 5k in UK before i puchased the car.. Oils unkown ? 96k on the clock..
Box Refurbed and it then took close to 30k of Very Hard Abuse, before i took the car off the road and broke it for parts :pimp2:
So if the history of the box is unknown ? Of which many are that are imported, then it's anyones guess how long it will last..
But if it's a known car, with good history of good oils and servicing intervals.. Then they are a very very very good box.. And should take well to all the power and abuse you can throw at it /yes

CARMEL120
18-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I would prolly put it at 1% or less ? And are we talking Autoboxes on cars that have stock power ? Or cars that have been modded ?

My Autobox gave out on me3 months after i bought the car.. The car had been recently imported(6months) used only for 5k in UK before i puchased the car.. Oils unkown ? 96k on the clock..
Box Refurbed and it then took close to 30k of Very Hard Abuse, before i took the car off the road and broke it for parts :pimp2:
So if the history of the box is unknown ? Of which many are that are imported, then it's anyones guess how long it will last..
But if it's a known car, with good history of good oils and servicing intervals.. Then they are a very very very good box.. And should take well to all the power and abuse you can throw at it /yes

stock vr4s so how much would it cost to refurb one second hand ones are getting like hens teeth

bradc
18-03-2009, 05:31 AM
In total on here and ozvr4 there is probably one that develops a torque converter seal leak or blows up or has other problems every week.

I've said it again and again, I wouldn't recommend one. They are strong and reliable if you use the right oil and change it regularly, but as Kieran's car has just shown us, they can and will blow up at any time for no apparent reason.

Ryan
18-03-2009, 07:18 AM
stock vr4s so how much would it cost to refurb one second hand ones are getting like hens teeth

Mine cost $3542 or GBP 1336 to rebuild and that included the cost of an ATF cooler fitted. So far no problems to speak of and that's after ~20 000 miles and 1 x ATF change since the rebuild.

elnevio
18-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Brad is back with his special brand of 'fifth horseman of the apocalypse' exaggerated-hugely-out-of-proportion auto-bashing! /pan/pan

In total on here and ozvr4 there is probably one that develops a torque converter seal leak or blows up or has other problems every week.

I've said it again and again, I wouldn't recommend one.
OK, we get that bit... /pan

They are strong and reliable if you use the right oil and change it regularly
Eh? Really? But this contradicts this bit:

they can and will blow up at any time for no apparent reason.
I don't know how I bring myself to get in one, because surely my gearbox should fail once in every two journeys! /pan

but as Kieran's car has just shown us
Using a single specific example does not validate a data set. Let me demonstrate - does the fact that thfelipeth's Leggie has just been stolen (sorry dude :() mean that all VR-4s will be stolen? Of course it doesn't. /pan

I thought you'd calmed your excessive auto-bashing down, but unfortunately I appear to be wrong. This sort of thing can be self-fulfilling. People post up asking if the autos are problematic. Then other people see these questions and assume that the autos are problematic, and the situation snowballs.

We don't know the earlier history of Ariadne, whether she had too much Dexron III that might have contributed to the gearbox failure this week, or other earlier abuse that Amsoil ATF has managed to mask and prolong the life of the gearbox. Who knows? We may do if some failure diagnosis is undertaken - so I'll wait for that...

I respect your knowledge in respect of the VR-4 /notworthy:iloveyou:, but this ONE aspect seems to be a grotesquely out of place crusade against the auto!

:soaprant over. :)

bradc
18-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Heh, remember I've bought 3 auto 8G's :)

The simple fact of the matter is that if someone posts up here asking for a reliable VR-4 I'm going to post that a manual is a better option.

The fact of the matter is though that in the case of Ariadne it had been extremely well looked after for a long time. Both you and me posted that we thought it was one of the best VR-4's in the UK. Whether or not the damage was from a previous owner using the wrong oil or not changing it enough is something we won't know, but the problem that 99% of people will have on here when buying a VR-4 is that they will know less about the history of that VR-4 than what we all knew about Kieran's car and it's oil changes. If it can happen to his car then it can happen to any VR-4.

elnevio
18-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Agreed! :thumbsup:

The manual is bullet-proof. The auto isn't QUITE completely bullet-proof, but still very reliable and a brilliant auto 'box! The tone of your post comes across as if the auto gearbox should be avoided at all costs because it will die if you so much as sneeze. This is the problem!

I think I *may* :D have gone a touch OTT in bringing this to people's attention, but a counter was required to what appeared to be a complete annihilation of the strength of the auto.

Otherwise, we're good! :afro:

CARMEL120
18-03-2009, 08:52 AM
should we start a new thread of what autoboxs have gone wrong and why it would a better understanding of the problems to refer to my thoughts

bradc
18-03-2009, 09:12 AM
We already have one http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3323

colVR4
18-03-2009, 03:35 PM
70k miles on my autobox (since I bought it), amsoil and cooler fitted running 225bhp at the wheels for nearly 4 years...

I must be the exception!!

fluffnik
18-03-2009, 04:09 PM
My impression from reading a lot about autoboxes on this site is that the cooling is marginal.

My solution is to fit the same additional cooling setup that has proved reliable for Roadrunner with extra boost and considerable track use...

...well, that's MY theory. :)