PDA

View Full Version : Rallying my VR-4

Roadrunner
12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Phoned a friend who's organising a navigational road rally this weekend to offer my services as a marshal and he asked me if I'd be interested in taking a novice navigator out. Rude to refuse so, this Saturday night, the Borders will be alive to the sound of a howling V6 :D (among other - lesser ;) - things) ... :p

I'll let you know how we get on ...

Brian

Roadrunner
18-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Well, that was fun :D Class win :) , another trophy for the cabinet (sorry, attic ;) )

Very slippy, rained all night, lots of mud on the roads, great to have the traction of the VR-4, although still managed to get it sideways a couple of times :eek: .

Others fared less well :undecided - Honda Civic hydraulicked the engine in a ford, Peugeot 205 smacked both sides and the back, Austin Healey 3000 disappeared through a hedge (fortunately without much damage), couple of Minis broke down, couple of other cars disappeared without trace :headsc:

Good fun. Highly recommended. :)

Brian

Spirit
18-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Excellent Brian - did you manage to get any pics or video footage ?

Did the car survive in one piece ?

Roadrunner
18-04-2004, 09:13 PM
There were some photographs taken - one at the start and three (I think) during the event. I'll try to obtain copies and post here if I do.

The car was great - the wider rubber and lower profile tyres help the handling (which is why I fitted them in the first place ;) ) and the Brembos were awesome! - no fade, no noise, just seriously effective braking. Transmission cooler has solved the performance degradation of the gearbox, too. If anything, the car is running better today than it has done for months! Gear changes are crisp, no delay from 4th to 3rd, hydraulic lifters tapping has disappeared altogether :headsc: . Maybe the car enjoyed the experience too :D . Averaged 12mpg which was about what I expected.

Great fun once in a while (last time was four years ago) but I haven't rediscovered the drive that got me out rallying almost every weekend in the mid to late 1970s. Involved in too many other things these days ...

Brian