PDA

View Full Version : Bi-xenon project

swinks
21-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone!
It's time to share my experience how to build yourself your own bi-xenon projector set.

We need:
1. projector kit, I think that one is brilliant for our job:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROJECTOR-LEN-KIT-Angel-Eye-E46-M3-TSX-H4-D2S-HID-XENON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el117 7QQhashZitem250393427274QQitemZ250393427274QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
And there's eBay shop link:
http://stores.ebay.com/Xeaz_HID-xenon-kit_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ15935188QQftidZ2QQtZkm
2. HID ballast. My suggestion is to buy so called slim kit. We need 35W kits (projector kits comming with 35W xenon bulbs). It saves space under bonnet, 'cos there's no much room for our job.
3. Wire cutter.
4. Small torx screwdriwer or torx keys set.
5. Screwdriver.
6. Heat-gun.
7. Oven.
8. Pilers.
9. Electric insulation tape.

You must consider if you want 1 projector (hi and low beam) and one regular H1 hi-beam light in each light cluster, or 2 just two projectors in light unit.
Well, maximum you'll need two projector sets.

I.
First, we need to disassembly our light units. Was several times described here on forum, but, my few tips: use help other person. Preheat oven to 120C and put there lights for some 1 min.
Then just take it out, and one person using heat-gun should blow air, and you using screwdriver just slowly inch by inch remove glass.

II. Time to prepare projectors.
They comming with already diaphragm designed for lHD cars. All we need is to change diaphragm to suits RHD cars. Here we go:
a) undo 4 torx tiny screws and disassembly projectors

b) undo electromagnet selenoid (2 tiny screws)

c) take off diaphragm blade

d) bend blade mountings with piler (180 degrees)

e) set all back together (reverse steps).
Finally we have right diaphragm for RHD traffic :scholar:

III. Fitting projectors.
Easy peasy job. You'll get guideline from supplier, but:
a) H7 socket - is just p&p job

b) H1 socket needs to be rebored to approx. 21 cm, then mounting adjust to prevent rotate or loose our projector.

IV. Assembling back clusters.
Reverse as dismounting, remeber to preheat both, clusters and glass.
So you shall have something like this:

V. Wiring loom
Just as in guideline provided with kit.
You have to plug these wires parallel to feed of low and hi beam and parking lights (in chinese guide "warning lights):

But if you want 2 projectors in one cluster and save room and time for double wiring, you can "borrow" selenoid and angel-eyes signal from one control unit (connect other parallel). So you'll stay with one unwanted something like that:
(after removing that wire) which you won't need anymore.

In that case (2 projectors in one cluster) you have to connect main unit (H7 socket projector with control loom) to one ballast, and other ballast to remained (projector in H1 socket). You can't feed both xenon bulbs from just one ballast!
The second ballast you can feed from low-beam wiring loom (so you will have 4 low-beam lights and 4 hi-beam lights in total) or from hi-beam wiring loom (so you'll stay with 2 low-beam lights and 4 hi-beam lights in total).

Well, hope it helps...:pimp2:

Louis
21-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Very nice, any photos of them fitted? and lit up?, good right up to, what was the cost ? (if you don't mind me asking

Louis
21-03-2009, 09:34 PM
How quickly do the solenoids move the shiels?, as in for flashing full beam lights to other traffic?

4 x 4 x 4!? lol, you need another two mirrors now!

swinks
23-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Very nice, any photos of them fitted? and lit up?, good right up to, what was the cost ? (if you don't mind me asking

Here photos!

DAYLIGHT
Main view:

Closer look:

Switched on (one pair is 4300K and other is 6000K):

NIGHT (wall is approx 20yds from car)
Low-beam:

Hi-beam:

BTW, I deliberately lowered one pair (6000K, former H1) of projectors to light up close surface of road. It works perfect...:pimp2:

Costs, just as mentioned formely. One set of projectors is something between 90 and 110 GBP plus shipping.
And you need ballasts for xenons - I paid 78 GBP for two sets of super-slim (4 in total) plus 12 GBP for shipping.
That's all costs.

swinks
23-03-2009, 01:17 AM
How quickly do the solenoids move the shiels?, as in for flashing full beam lights to other traffic?

4 x 4 x 4!? lol, you need another two mirrors now!

Yes!
Selenoids are enough quick. Even such that I didn't noticed difference in operation regular lights (former one) and nowadays bi-xenons.

Louis
23-03-2009, 10:03 AM
cool, well done

Turbo_Steve
23-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Do you fancy offering this as a service to the more...er...hamfisted amongst us?
For example, I'd like to convert my headlights to projectors (not too fussed on main beam which seems fine with just a reflector) however I am fairly confident that I'll make a mess of it....those nice delicate polycarbonate lenses etc....

swinks
23-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Well, that's not a problem :scholar:
If you are somewhere in reasonable distance from Grantham/Peterborough area then we can make kind of small meet involving DIY works :pimp2:

phosty
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm looking at getting this mod done myself for the winter. The links above no longer work but would this kit here be fine:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROJECTOR-LEN-KIT-Angel-Eye-HID-BI-XENON-H4-H7-BH3-9004-/300478942556?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f5f0cd5c#ht_4332wt_909

I understand that I would need two kits to have 4 hi/lo lights but do they need to be the same kit i.e. 2 x H7 or 1 x H7 and 1 x H1??

Also, what do they mean by specifying the colour of the bulb?? Is that the angel eyes? I know they state the temp is 6000k so I assume it means something else. Thanks!

swinks
08-11-2010, 01:12 AM
By colour they mean both: bulbs and angel eyes. Apparently they have only 6000k bulbs, but you have to state both options. Due to socket size, you need h7. Although there is h1 as well, but in reality they send you h7 with manual how to adopt to h1. So, save your time and order h7's.

Beastlee
27-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Tomasz, so am I right in assuming the H7 unit just slots into the reflector instead of a bulb and then it has a screw thread that tightens down instead of the metal spring clip? I can't really work out how the bulb would be fitted from your pictures though.

swinks
27-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, correct Lee.
Xenon bulbs come with kit. You can also order spare one from supplier for some extra costs, as they are not typical and hard to source.

nuster100
24-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Do you fancy offering this as a service to the more...er...hamfisted amongst us?
For example, I'd like to convert my headlights to projectors (not too fussed on main beam which seems fine with just a reflector) however I am fairly confident that I'll make a mess of it....those nice delicate polycarbonate lenses etc....

I would be interested in this too. Wouldn't mind paying for it, but as Turbo_Steve says, im pretty sure i'd mess it up!

Jay

Barney
24-01-2011, 12:40 AM
I would be interested in this too. Wouldn't mind paying for it, but as Turbo_Steve says, im pretty sure i'd mess it up!

Jay

Ditto

JTG
24-01-2011, 01:57 AM

Jay

Same.

swinks
24-01-2011, 09:59 AM
If you scared with disassembling lamps, then bring them for RR Day in Guildford, I can do it for you.:)

swinks
14-02-2011, 09:49 PM
And another lights completed tonight ready to go:

Hope customer would be happy with them :coat

sonicsoundzdj
14-02-2011, 11:06 PM
looks like you might have a line of people wanting your services swinks, Il join the que

psbarham
14-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Thomasz, how much for all the bits and bobs to convert my uk glass headlights to the same as yours? Will the stock electric adjustment still work?

swinks
14-02-2011, 11:32 PM
EUDM set will work, no probs. Actually I thought about making spare set myself for my trips to continent.
Give you details via PM tomorrow Paul.

alex k
19-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi, nice job. please can you post a link of the set of projectors you are using for this? thanks a lot

Turbo_Steve
19-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Alex, it's in the first post?

swinks
19-02-2011, 10:35 PM
May not work Steve it's very old.
Here active auction I've found:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROJECTOR-LENS-KIT-Angel-Eye-H4-9004-H7-H1-HID-BI-XENON-/270695132366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06afecce
But there are few other newer kits which I haven't checked yet. They look almos identical due to fitment, but lenses shape are bit different. Worth to check out anyway. I think Glenn's lights will be guinea-pig :curtain:
Alex, you don't need to make any adjustment to diaphragm blade, those kits are designed for LHD vehicles, so in your case it's almost p&p.

adaxo
20-02-2011, 06:09 PM
C'mon Tomek, set the price, and put in for sale thread. As you know i was looking for lights like this for ages but lack of knowledge/time keep this project still in 'to do' drawer. And my mate is looking for set like this as well. If we supply lamps to you how much it will cost?? and one more thing- with lights is better/easier to do JDM plastic or EU glass?

swinks
20-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Actually I have no preference due to JDM either EUDM light clusters. Anyway, you must split them, so effort is the same. Glass clusters seems bit easier (shorter, and more high temp proof), but nowadays it make no difference to me.

No, I'm not gonna do any "for sale" etc. thread. Still happy to do custom work, but because I depend on headlight supply, current rate exchange and eBay offer I can't set up fix price. And more important, that modification to a diaphragm blade is PITA job, 0.5mm wrong and selenoid won't work, or you get wrong light pattern, or just brake blade (snap one).
So you can give me PM what are your requirements and we then can talk.../yes

adaxo
21-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Ok, fair enough:thumbsup:, you got my point, obviously you done few and gain your experience/confidence, I am OK with spanners and hammers/hammer, but hate precision jobs. Any way see you on RR in march and then we figured out what is involved:beerchug:

motolola
24-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Actually I have no preference due to JDM either EUDM light clusters. Anyway, you must split them, so effort is the same. Glass clusters seems bit easier (shorter, and more high temp proof), but nowadays it make no difference to me.

No, I'm not gonna do any "for sale" etc. thread. Still happy to do custom work, but because I depend on headlight supply, current rate exchange and eBay offer I can't set up fix price. And more important, that modification to a diaphragm blade is PITA job, 0.5mm wrong and selenoid won't work, or you get wrong light pattern, or just brake blade (snap one).
So you can give me PM what are your requirements and we then can talk.../yes

I'm from Indonesia and completely have no capability of doing this amazing thing by my self because my limited knowledge and experience. I find this work really interesting and would love to have one pair in my galant (we don't have VR-4 here). I'm kind of wondering that perhaps you could help me too and also ship it to my country... Just PM me the price and hope it would meet my range. Thks

one more thing, could you put some pictures of night and low... I need to see how great the car would be...from distance (but not far)

swinks
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm kind of wondering that perhaps you could help me too and also ship it to my country... Just PM me the price and hope it would meet my range. Thks

one more thing, could you put some pictures of night and low... I need to see how great the car would be...from distance (but not far)
Pictures of working low and high beam are in one of my first posts in this thread.
Unfortunately, shipping to Indonesia is enormous and hence total price is massive, don't think it's worth a hassle unless you are ready to pay range of 400 GBP.

swinks
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
And an update for those who will try to make their own lights.
WARNING!
Recently there are new model of bi-xenon projector kits. Price is very tempting. Lenses look like this:
Unfortunately, mechanism of moving inside blade diaphragm had been change and it's impossible to modify this to RHD vehicles. Sorry Glenn, you will have to wait bit longer because I had to order another set with old selenoid diaphragm.

So if anyone wants to play with projector my recommendation will go for this style projectors:
And remember, this style projector kits seems to be not any more in production, so supply may be limited.

Wodjno
03-03-2011, 10:25 PM
No worries Tomasz... No rush :D

Beastlee
04-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Tomasz, how heavy are a pair of lights? I can ship up to 20kg to Brunei from Germany for about £60 and that should be a similar location.

EDIT: Can anyone spot the Chinese person in the first of those two photos? LOL

Gly
08-03-2011, 07:55 AM
so if i bought the newer ones, i shouldn't have to change them since we drive to the left side of the road?

Beastlee
08-03-2011, 08:01 AM
You drive on the left but the steering wheel is on the right, the LHD/RHD refers to the car, not road so you need to convert.

Ralliart1
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
so if i bought the newer ones, i shouldn't have to change them since we drive to the left side of the road?
If you drive on the left side,just fit the projectors straight away,the oncoming traffic will be greatful if you don't convert them.

Beastlee
08-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Csaba, that's wrong, driving on the left side of the road means your steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car. RHD and LHD refer to the side you sit on to drive the car. Obviously this is affected when you take a car into a country where they drive on the opposite side to that it was intended for. So in my case the LHD lights are correct despite my car being RHD.

So if you want to be totally accurate, if you drive on the left side of the road you should use RHD lenses, but if you drive on the right side of the road you should use LHD lenses.

Ralliart1
08-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Csaba, that's wrong, driving on the left side of the road means your steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car. RHD and LHD refer to the side you sit on to drive the car. Obviously this is affected when you take a car into a country where they drive on the opposite side to that it was intended for. So in my case the LHD lights are correct despite my car being RHD.

So if you want to be totally accurate, if you drive on the left side of the road you should use RHD lenses, but if you drive on the right side of the road you should use LHD lenses.

Yes Lee you'r absolutely right,I'm sorry,I misunderstood Carsten's reply"we drive to the left side of the road".

Ralliart1
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately, mechanism of moving inside blade diaphragm had been change and it's impossible to modify this to RHD vehicles.

Is possible Tomasz,just is a really bloody job,have a look here:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?56065-Bixenon-projectors-conversion&p=623282#post623282
I did 3 sets last couple of months,last weekend passed a car the MOT with them fitted,just had to adjust the level and the angle there with instrument.

motolola
15-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Pictures of working low and high beam are in one of my first posts in this thread.
Unfortunately, shipping to Indonesia is enormous and hence total price is massive, don't think it's worth a hassle unless you are ready to pay range of 400 GBP.

No, I mean picture of working low beam "in the night" because I like to see how great the look of the car face.
Does GBP 400 include shipping? I mean I don't have to pay anything else to get those things in my hand exclude shipping tax. In my calculation, most of used VR-4 headlamp costs IDR 3,000,000 here. Add with retrofit cost of IDR 3,000,000 means IDR 6 million. Convert to pound sterling equal to GBP 421. So...I think it's worth to pay. What do you think?

swinks
19-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Been busy today making another few to go.
Amesh, yours almost finished, need to finish loom for separate switches and check out how it works.

sy666
19-04-2011, 01:00 PM
what would be a ball park price to do these for me? Around £100, £150, £200?

swinks
19-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Projector lenses cost itself in 160 quid range. For more info give me PM.

vr4drifta
19-04-2011, 03:44 PM
they look good mate really appreciate the work you putting in cant wait to fit them to the car.the other spare light i gave you hold on too as i will have another one for you to make me another set.

many thanx mate.

Davezj
22-04-2011, 11:49 PM
sent you a pm Tomasz.

Rixarena
18-06-2011, 08:00 PM
How long does it normally take to convert? do people just use there cars without the headlights? as in not drive at night whilst its being done? im interested in doing this (after i get the car) just need to make sure i can.

Regards Sam

Oggie
19-06-2011, 07:16 AM
How long does it normally take to convert? do people just use there cars without the headlights? as in not drive at night whilst its being done? im interested in doing this (after i get the car) just need to make sure i can.

Regards Sam

if someone is THAT concerned they could always pick up a 2nd hand set of headlights and use them to build with.

swinks
19-06-2011, 09:31 PM
if someone is THAT concerned they could always pick up a 2nd hand set of headlights and use them to build with.
Exactly.
That way I did mine lights, and people I did conversion for also sourced spare pair of lights.

sampsulo
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
dude fab job you did....i want a set..problem im in Zambia (southern Africa). so sending your side problem...but sending this from your side cheap as hell...so can i paypal you some cash then you could buy a set to convert to projector? my car is RHD and we drive left side of the road....

vr4drifta
09-08-2011, 02:47 PM
the lights are very good i have many spare sets for sale.

Wodjno
09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Tomasz.. Are mine ready yet /Hmmm

sampsulo
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
the lights are very good i have many spare sets for sale.

the bi-xenon ones? how much for a set of them?

RocketD0G
04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
I'll probably do this to my JDM lights after a while :) thanks for a great guide!

-John

LudviG
06-11-2011, 06:13 PM
How does projectors work with normal halogen bulbs? The reason I am asking is that i want xenon in the high beam, but not in the short beam. This is due to norwegian regulations, and the fact that they stop alot of people nowadays with xenon mounted in non xenon headlighst. But i like the look of the projectors, so could i run both halogen and xenon and get good light? Or maybe just one projector for the high beam?

Anderz
06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
You cant fit halogen bulbs in the G5 xenon projectors, the HID bulbs they use have a custom socket. Of course it is possible to install projectors just for the high beams, but if you only want xenons in the high beams it is easier to install a H1 conversion kit instead.

Gly
10-01-2012, 06:37 AM
a bump for a old thread,

having just bought 2 of these kits... (G1 bi-xenon hid projector)

if i wanted to set up the lights to work same as stock,
a set of low beams and a set of high beams,

on the low beam i can just leave off the hi/lo controller? so its always lo

and high beam i can remove the cut off shield completely??

Anderz
10-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Of course it is possible to do it that way, but why would you like to remove the hi/lo function from the low beams? Cold xenons take a couple of seconds before they give full light output, so that means you will have delayed hi beam. With the hi/lo function in place you get instant high beam with the extra hi beams coming to full output a couple of seconds later. In the sets I have made I have not removed the cut off shield from the high beams, just connect it so that it opens when high beams are turned on :)

Gly
10-01-2012, 08:11 AM
nz laws on head lights, restrict how many lights we can have running at one time,
and avoid W.O.F. and police issues, as it still a HID retro fit of sorts (a proper one)

some people can be hard to deal with even when its done right,
hard to explain why all your lights come on with you turn on low beam. when from factory they dont.

i will prob make the original low beam, do both hi/lo but the factory high beam will only be a high beam light

swinks
10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Understand you point Carsten. I remember when I was massively surprised reading about gauge pillar mounts being an issue whilst NZ MOT.
Anyway, if you want a stock set-up then you don't need full harness.
Just direct feed from low beam socket to HID ballast and then to low beam bulb. The same with high beam, but you need to remove internal pattern shield (diaphragm) from lenses.
If you got G1 type lenses then you shouldn't have a problem with fitting around black shroud inside headlight cluster. It need to be cut to size whilst using bigger G3 lenses.

Gly
10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
yeah got the G1's one guy on ebay selling them now... USD$129 w/o ballast or USD$159 with ballast and free shipping

http://myworld.ebay.com/autoretrofit/

i bought one set to make sure they are correct (arrived today)
and have bought another set now so can do both hi and lo

if you offer him USD$100 w/o ballast and free shipping he accepts the offer :D

and ill buy ballast of another ebay trader for USD$8.95ea free shipping.

full hid conversion for less than USD$236 and D.I.Y. Labour

Anderz
10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
hard to explain why all your lights come on with you turn on low beam. when from factory they dont.

i will prob make the original low beam, do both hi/lo but the factory high beam will only be a high beam light

Yeah thats what I meant, think 4 low beams are illegal in most contries. And if you connect the high beam ballasts and solenoid to the high beam socket you dont have to remove the cut off shield either

swinks
10-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Yeah thats what I meant, think 4 low beams are illegal in most contries.
Had the same concern about few years ago, but after careful check inside-out all EU regulation - it says NOTHING how many low beams are allowed.
Regulations says clear tho about dimensions, level, and location.

Anderz
10-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Did not know that :)

Gly
11-01-2012, 10:03 AM
hey any tips on bending the diaphragm blade?

managed to break 2! can they be fixed?
or do i need to make new ones?

swinks
11-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Ohh dear..!
If I understood correctly you did manage to break 2 of 4 diaphragms already. Well, use these lenses for high beam then. I don't think you can repair them, and making new can be real PITA job.
As for bending.... I used small vice with very good (sharp, even edges) and good quality pillers and small hammer. First I did level out (bend both mount sides) whole blade to achieve one flat piece of tin. Then each mount side I've fix into vice and bend using small hammer.
Donno if my explanations are clear.

Gly
11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
yes, broken 2 of 4, and yes there the high beams now,

still waiting on others to arrive so hopefully ill have better luck with them..

yep makes sense..

ill take them to work tomorrow and see if i can silver solder them,
if not, i might make some new ones out of sterling silver plate just in case?

Gly
11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
also, just to make sure im installing the right way up and not upside down,

when the projector is fitted in the headlight,

the diaphragm/electro magnet bottom?

swinks
11-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Diaphragm blade and selenoid are fitted inside lenses only one way round so can't be messed. Also lenses have extra groove on thread neck pointing "top". Also "angel-eye" ring ends are on the bottom of lens. And... yes, selenoid and diaphragm are in a bottom part of lenses.

Gly
11-01-2012, 11:43 PM
well you can repair the broken diaphragm with silver solder and a mini torch,

can't do it with soft (lead) solder and a soldering iron.

so ive fixed them both :D

also

question about the electro magnets, are they 12volts? id like to test them before full assemble.

swinks
11-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I think they may be 12V, most of them anyway, being driven by main control unit. I've found that some of different "main" units can't control electromagnets from other kit and vice versa. So, maybe they are various voltage depends on model kit.

Gly
13-01-2012, 06:43 AM
well, ones ready to be sealed up again. just waiting on another kit to arrive.

gone for the blacked out and de-tango'd look.

Great Guide and thanks for the Help.

MarkSanne
13-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Nice!!!

Gly
26-01-2012, 02:16 AM
ok, been busy installing these today even though the cars not fixed yet,

run into a issue....

is it just me or do Facelift's run a switched earth (for the high beams) rather than a switched +

and ill have to run an extra relay to correctly trigger the hi/lo function of the projectors?????

or am i doing something wrong??

(basically when i turn on the low beams (outers only), they come on but it also activating the magneto...
when i turn to hi beam(inners) they turn on as they should)

i have found that when lo's are turned on, they also activate the + on the high, and when you turn on hi it activates the -)

Anderz
26-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Thats correct, if is not only the facelifts but all 8G galants run switched - for the high beams. If you connect the + of the magneto to the low beam + and the - to the high beam switched - it will work :)

Gly
26-01-2012, 10:36 AM
ok,

so the the harness plug on the controller has the H4 plug.....

same as this....

brown goes to chassis earth,

blue to Fatcory low beam Positive

White to Factory Hi Beam Negative/earth

correct???? sounds wrong????? Confused now! LOL!

Anderz
26-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok the harness has some kind of relay to operate the ballasts and magneto.. Did you connect the H4 socket to the H4 socket (lo beam) on the car? The Car has a H4 socket but as the car has H7 bulbs only the ground and high beam pins are connected. This means that it will feed power to the high beam pin (blue) when low beam is turned on, that is probably why high beam magneto is activated

Gly
26-01-2012, 09:13 PM
solved... probably a easier way, but this worked for me

i used the factory Hi + and - to activate a relay,
that allowed the 12v + on the hi beam to only switch the magneto to only switch when high beam was actually on

swinks
26-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Carsten, why are you messing with lens kit harness??? Haven't you said that you want only stock layout of headlights?
So.. why didn't you ditch harness and directly plug for:
- low beam: low beam socket > HID ballast > HID bulb in lens
- main beam: main beam socket > HID ballast > HID bulb in lens (with removed diaphragm)
Simply in this way there is no need for connecting magneto-switches, although you can cut out off lens kit harness those plugs for HID ballasts for use them with light socket.

Gly
26-01-2012, 11:21 PM
im using the bi xenon function on the outer (factory lo) light

the inners im using only as high beam

swinks
28-01-2012, 02:13 PM
im using the bi xenon function on the outer (factory lo) light

the inners im using only as high beam

Ok, that explains.
But you should be provided by seller also harness adapter, then you wouldn't have such problems. :upsidedow

Gly
28-01-2012, 10:25 PM
nope,mine came with that adapter without the block on it, which i assume is a relay that does what i did.

swinks
28-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Yhmmm... that's bit strange Carsten. I'd say that wasn't complete harness you got.
Did you make note to seller while purchasing that you require lens kits for H7 bulb system? I know that harness for H4 lens kit is different and maybe yours was that one.

Gly
28-01-2012, 11:46 PM
yeah i asked for there h1/h7 kit,

oh well, no big deal only cost me a few $ for the relay & a little frustration,

well worth it IMO,

now that i think about it i havent seen any ebay ad's with that part of the harness pictured??

swinks
29-01-2012, 06:59 AM
What's about this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROJECTOR-LENS-KIT-Angel-Eye-H4-9004-H7-H1-HID-BI-XENON-/270695132366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06afecce

Gly
29-01-2012, 07:17 AM
didnt see them, using ebay.com

saved about $25usd per kit from another seller, so can live with the $15nzd for a relay and plug

swinks
29-01-2012, 07:35 AM
saved about $25usd per kit from another seller, so can live with the $15nzd for a relay and plug
Indeed :)

LudviG
28-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Tomasz, are u still making these?

swinks
13-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Tomasz, are u still making these?
Yes.
But recently had approached several issues with them:
- xenon bulb quality. Bulbs supplied with projector kits can be not the best quality. I've been reported that occasionally they can flick after "warm up" (happened 3 times in case of 12 sets). That was the case with 4300K bulbs. There is eBay store supplying spare bulbs, but I want to make everyone aware of potential issue.
- HID ballasts, for last 12 items again 2 were faulty one, and fult appeared after some use, so couldn't detect one whilst mine checking before delivery ready-made headlights. Anyway I'm gonna change supplier and type of used ballasts.

And generally, believe me, it's a PITA job, but trying my best.

foxdie
13-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Tomasz, do you know if these will pass the new MOT regulations?

swinks
13-03-2012, 04:27 PM
TBH, I think if all changes are going along EU regulations/restrictions then... not.
Nowadays big fat motor industry is forcing to limit as much possible any aftermarket business. Also I've heard of possible new regulations coming very soon that only genuine lights, glass (windows), bumpers etc. would be only allowed, and use of any aftermarket servicing parts limited.
Obviously within next few years I will seriously consider to drop vr4 for a push bike :coat

Mark 4
13-03-2012, 06:06 PM
My car has passed 2 MOT's with them fitted.

sampsulo
13-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Y'all should just move to Zambia. Problem will be solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foxdie
13-03-2012, 06:36 PM
My car has passed 2 MOT's with them fitted.

Ahh now you see, that wasn't what I asked, I asked will it pass when the new HID regulations come into enforcement from the 1st April? ;)

swinks
04-04-2012, 10:24 PM
But recently had approached several issues with them:
- xenon bulb quality. Bulbs supplied with projector kits can be not the best quality. I've been reported that occasionally they can flick after "warm up" (happened 3 times in case of 12 sets). That was the case with 4300K bulbs. There is eBay store supplying spare bulbs, but I want to make everyone aware of potential issue.
- HID ballasts, for last 12 items again 2 were faulty one, and fault appeared after some use, so couldn't detect one whilst mine checking before delivery ready-made headlights. Anyway I'm gonna change supplier and type of used ballasts.

Right chaps. It seems that I've found where fault/issue was.
After some searching websites I have found that especially combo 4300K bulbs and "slim" HID ballasts require solid +14V feed and above. In many old vehicles actual feed to bulbs are quite low, sometimes just above +11V and no more. It's down to tear and wear in electric harness.
So, those of you who already complain on a "dimm" headlights may experience problems after fitting 4300K HID bulbs. That's typical flickering, one bulb not working, etc. Problem is less common with 6000K bulbs tho.
Anyway here is solution:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400197706035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Has to be fitted in line: harness > corrector > HID ballast

To be honest haven't tested yet, because I have 6000K bulbs which works fine. :)

Kryton
05-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Ahh now you see, that wasn't what I asked, I asked will it pass when the new HID regulations come into enforcement from the 1st April? ;)

Mine did & haven't fitted anything other than bulbs yet :)

foxdie
05-04-2012, 10:59 AM
I think the projector style that Swinks makes (of which I'm about to become an owner of, I think) may pass because they don't unevenly distribute light, I just wanted Tomasz's opinion / perspective on the matter.

Disclaimer: The following paragraphs express my understanding of the situation after trawling forums and the DfT websites, the information could be inaccurate even though it's educated response.

The popo (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=po-po) are starting to crack down on blatantly obvious aftermarket HID installations or HIDs on older cars, ricers and sheds, they spot HIDs unevenly distributing light or in an obviously aftermarket colour (8000k and above) they'll pull you over for a spot check.

First they'll check the ballasts, if they see anything other than the car manufacturers logo on there, they assume it's aftermarket and issue a fine.
Then they'll check the bulbs themselves, if they're clearly just HID kits fitted into the existing car lenses they know they're aftermarket and issue a fine.
To avoid being issued a fine, these steps may hopefully help you avoid having a lighter wallet and possibly some points;

Make sure you avoid drop-in replacement bulbs as they disperse light unevenly and dazzle oncoming traffic, Projector HID kits like Swinks' offering are far better
Avoid higher colour ranges, 4300k has the most usable light (http://www.manyadeal.com/page.html?id=24) and is the least aftermarket-in-appearance
Just in case you get pulled and asked to pop your bonnet, make sure the ballasts original sticker (Philips etc) is removed and replaced with a Mitsubishi sticker like this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?36393-High-Voltage-sticker-on-cabin-filter) with Japanese characters (Kanji) on and a Mitsubishi logo or something :) (anyone know of any available to buy?)
Make sure all the wiring is professionally installed (i.e. tucked around the side of the engine bay) and sheathed (http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/204564823/cable_sheath_wire_sheathing.jpg) - stray / loose wires is a quick indicator of aftermarket kits
As for MOT's... they'll be a little harder to fool, again the above steps can only be done and hope that it's overlooked.

foxdie
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Trying to find an ideal sticker, found this (http://i53.tinypic.com/24cbkba.jpg) on the MLR, if only it had the Mitsubishi logo :)

Will try and knock something up in my lunchbreak.

swinks
05-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Jason, it doesn't need to be Mitsi diamonds. Most of electric bits in Galants been done by Denso.

foxdie
05-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Most of electric bits in Galants been done by Denso.

Hello :)

http://eshop.ktautopart.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/denso_ballast_2.jpg

I might use that as a template, replacing Toyota with Mitsubishi :thumbsup:

Kryton
05-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Trying to find an ideal sticker, found this (http://i53.tinypic.com/24cbkba.jpg) on the MLR, if only it had the Mitsubishi logo :)

Will try and knock something up in my lunchbreak.

Let me know if you need anything rattled out. The large format is playing up at the minute but I could print some out on one of the colour lasers on a permanent vinyl with a laminate if you need them. Only difference will be the ink will not be UV resistant for 5 years but hopefully shouldn't matter in the engine bay

foxdie
05-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Let me know if you need anything rattled out. The large format is playing up at the minute but I could print some out on one of the colour lasers on a permanent vinyl with a laminate if you need them. Only difference will be the ink will not be UV resistant for 5 years but hopefully shouldn't matter in the engine bay

Ooh Chris, exactly what I was thinking of, I can flesh out a sticker design no problem but printing it I'd need help with :)

Kryton
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Send me an email of the artwork as pdf, eps, ai, whatever basically & I will try to get a batch done over the weekend to bring next week. Will pm my personal email address in a sec

swinks
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
I might use that as a template, replacing Toyota with Mitsubishi :thumbsup:
Nice find Jason. :)
Exactly what I was thinking...

Chris, once you get ready, 3 sets (4 stickers each set) already printed for me please.

foxdie
05-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Okay, first template, bring on the critique!

This one is based on the sticker from the MLR including the actual part codes and Mitsi logo design from an OEM Evo X Ballast...

To add, if someone speaks fluent German or Japanese, I've got the translations for the text as close to the English as possible, let me know if it doesn't make sense.

swinks
05-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Looks very good to me. Well done job!
Just remember that sticker size: 3cm x 4cm is the best.

foxdie
05-04-2012, 02:04 PM
If you and the others are happy with the design, I'll send it over to Chris who'll bring them to the Rolling Road :)

foxdie
05-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Send me an email of the artwork as pdf, eps, ai, whatever basically & I will try to get a batch done over the weekend to bring next week. Will pm my personal email address in a sec

Tried to reply but got Kryton has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space. ;)

jayp
05-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Having looked through the mot manual and spoken to a few people, you do not need self leveling or washer jets, however IF they are fitted they must work, yes the wires should be done in a loom, not just loose, and as for after market ballast etc, so long as they are 'proffesionally' fitted there is no problem, obviously bulb temperature, allignment etc must remain legal.
Also hid bulbs must be fitted in hid projectors not in reflector lamp (like ours) and may not be fitted in halogen projectors.

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Kryton
10-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Just remember that sticker size: 3cm x 4cm is the best.

Just a quick one, I am about to do these as didn't make it in over the weekend. Is this size good for everyone as I might do a couple of different sizes as this will be far too small for mine. If people post up the size required, I will do the bigger ones at a size good for everyone.

swinks
10-04-2012, 10:25 AM
You may be right Chris. Just reminded me that there are several different types of HID ballasts, and mine are rather not popular.

Kryton
10-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah I think mine are almost double the size of that but I haven't got my car to check. Could someone else see what size they would need please & I will also do some for you Tomasz with loads of spares if anyone needs that size

swinks
10-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Could someone else see what size they would need please & I will also do some for you Tomasz with loads of spares if anyone needs that size
Chris, I've check other HID ballasts I have. I think most of them will require 45mm x 60mm size sticker.

foxdie
10-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Right, you guys find sticker dimensions for common ballast sizes (I have no idea, never had HIDs before) but if required I can redesign the sticker layout to fit certain aspect ratios :thumbsup:

2700gavin
30-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm certainly interested in these, any update. Mine will be the same size as Swinks'.

Colin Wiltshire
01-09-2012, 03:38 PM
A question for those in the know, I have a set of bi-xenon projectors, only I'm not sure which way up they go. Does the flap sit at the top or the bottom? No instructions came with them.

Gly
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
bottom

Colin Wiltshire
02-09-2012, 03:11 PM
bottom

Thanks, I was starting to think that they would be at the top because the flap moves out of the way for full beam,

mitsuchick
09-07-2013, 10:52 PM
ok, so i looked through this whole thread ( its awesome BTW) and i am wondering which projectors to buy the 3" or the 2.5".

and wondering if something like this will work
http://stores.ebay.com/MotorFansClub/_i.html?_fsub=5845036015

AND if i need to convert anything if i drive on the "wrong" side of the road with my RHD legnum.

Gly
10-07-2013, 01:22 AM
the G1 is what has been used in these converions
and you only need to convert if you drive on the left hand side of the road.

ersanalamin
10-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Hi Guys any idea how to install HID without worrying it might interfere the ABS sensor? the ABS icon light on on the dash since I install a 4300K HID. TIA for advice

mitsuchick
10-07-2013, 03:32 PM
so upon investigation it looks like 2.5" projectors, when i type g1

thank you.

swinks
10-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi Guys any idea how to install HID without worrying it might interfere the ABS sensor? the ABS icon light on on the dash since I install a 4300K HID. TIA for advice
You have some wiring problem. Maybe not related to HIDs at all.
Strange!

swinks
10-07-2013, 10:26 PM
so upon investigation it looks like 2.5" projectors, when i type g1

thank you.
Correct!
Bigger are fouling black shroud trim inside lights.
Usually you have in description LHD or RHD (always ask seller to clarify). For you are only LHD type and these don't need to be converted.

Badger_01
02-11-2013, 04:31 AM
So I installed one projector for low beam today just to see how it looks and what not. Now I was wondering how to hook up the park lights? And I've wired in the power cable with the fuse into the power wire for the fuse box in engine bay, I've found that the projector stays on (without turning the lights on), gave something a wiggle and it turned off but I haven't been able to find what it was. Is it because its hooked into the fuse box power?

Badger_01
02-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Bump, would like to get this sorted lol. Not too keen on pulling the fuse in the harness wiring every time I turn the car off

Badger_01
02-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Ok the harness has some kind of relay to operate the ballasts and magneto.. Did you connect the H4 socket to the H4 socket (lo beam) on the car? The Car has a H4 socket but as the car has H7 bulbs only the ground and high beam pins are connected. This means that it will feed power to the high beam pin (blue) when low beam is turned on, that is probably why high beam magneto is activated

Just read this, might explain why when I looked at the light to see if it was working that it was so fricking bright haha. So can I cheat and cut the blue wire so that it isn't high beam when I turn on the low beam.

As it is it might be a long time till I get another set to make quad projectors, and the high beam in the projector is a lot brighter than my normal high beam so I'd probably get in trouble with the law and what not? lol

crazydriver81
02-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Just read this, might explain why when I looked at the light to see if it was working that it was so fricking bright haha. So can I cheat and cut the blue wire so that it isn't high beam when I turn on the low beam.

As it is it might be a long time till I get another set to make quad projectors, and the high beam in the projector is a lot brighter than my normal high beam so I'd probably get in trouble with the law and what not? lol

Haven't you got the H7 adaptor with the projecor set? IIRC there is a socket with open leads supplied as the fixed plug on the harness is made for H4 bulb sockets.
Either you have to swap white and blue (but then you will not have high beam on the projector units) or you have to use the adaptor and solder the blue wire to the high beam lamp harness (and the white/black) to the low beam harness of the car.

Badger_01
02-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Haven't you got the H7 adaptor with the projecor set? IIRC there is a socket with open leads supplied as the fixed plug on the harness is made for H4 bulb sockets.
Either you have to swap white and blue (but then you will not have high beam on the projector units) or you have to use the adaptor and solder the blue wire to the high beam lamp harness (and the white/black) to the low beam harness of the car.

Yep the adaptor is there, but from reading a couple pages back Gly had to get a relay to make it work properly (kit I have is the same one he got)

Also how do I wire in the park lights to the projectors? Or do I leave them as is?

crazydriver81
02-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Yep the adaptor is there, but from reading a couple pages back Gly had to get a relay to make it work properly (kit I have is the same one he got)

Also how do I wire in the park lights to the projectors? Or do I leave them as is?

I am assuming you have got yourself the G1 2.5" projector units, most of us use?

There is the halo ring and a black inverter included. The inverter has open wire ends (black and red) and this needs to be connected to the feed of the OE parking lights. But you need to make sure that +12V is fed into the red wire. Et voilá!

The thing with the adaptor Gly was, that his set was missing the adaptor IIRC. So he had to build up a different solution to feed the +12V to the solenoid for high beam. Easiest is, to solder the blue wire to the feed of the high beam.

Badger_01
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I am assuming you have got yourself the G1 2.5" projector units, most of us use?

There is the halo ring and a black inverter included. The inverter has open wire ends (black and red) and this needs to be connected to the feed of the OE parking lights. But you need to make sure that +12V is fed into the red wire. Et voilá!

The thing with the adaptor Gly was, that his set was missing the adaptor IIRC. So he had to build up a different solution to feed the +12V to the solenoid for high beam. Easiest is, to solder the blue wire to the feed of the high beam.

Yep got this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-G1-HID-Bi-xenon-Projector-Lens-Light-H4-H1-H7-9005-9006-4300K-6000K-8000K-/250919711236?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6bfaf204)

Worked out the parking lights after looking at Gly's thread: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?61907-Bi-xenon-HID-Projector-conversion-DONE!&highlight=projector haha, was just like ooooh that makes sense lol

Nick Mann
30-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm worried about the LHD/RHD conversion. Would these work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-HID-Ballast-Hi-low-H4-H7-H11-9005-4300K-Projector-White-Angel-Eye-Lamp-RHD-/251301925369?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a82c311f9

exevoowner
30-11-2013, 08:40 PM
yes @nickmann they are rhd lights

swinks
30-11-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm worried about the LHD/RHD conversion. Would these work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-HID-Ballast-Hi-low-H4-H7-H11-9005-4300K-Projector-White-Angel-Eye-Lamp-RHD-/251301925369?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a82c311f9
Yes they are RHD, but very very awkward to fit. Personally, don't recommend.

There are plenty of RHD kits now on the market. Unlike few years back, when there was nothing at all, most recent sellers offer option rhd or lhd to choose from.
Here, first from quick search (I guess there are even cheaper kit on eBay):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-G1-Bi-xenon-HID-Headlight-Projector-Lens-H1-H7-H4-H13-9005-9006-9004-9007-/320846861697?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab3f69581

swinks
30-11-2013, 09:27 PM
And spare bulbs:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35w-hid-replacement-xenon-light-lamp-for-car-hid-bi-xenon-projector-lens-kit-12v-/161122028592?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25839f0c30

Nick Mann
08-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the links! It's got me searching some more.

I'm assuming motorcycle versions have a symmetrical or different beam? It seems that the items marked as for a "motorcycle" do not say LHD or RHD:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-Motorcycle-Angel-Devil-Eye-Halo-Projector-Lens-Bi-xenon-HID-Kit-H1-H4-H7-/370778608830?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56542094be

Nick Mann
08-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Oh, and how much clearance is there with the 2.5" stuff? Would 3" ones fit?

swinks
08-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Nick...
3 inch lenses will fit to low beam slot, but some hacking to black shroud is needed to free vertical and horizontal regulation. These lenses IMO are extremally difficult to squeeze into high beam slot.
I used to fit 3 inch lenses into low beam slots and 2.5 inch into high beams. In both cases I had to do some trimming to black shroud.
If reflectors are painted matt black then finished headlights look like factory. :)

TBH, there is no kit on the market which will fit nicely into Galant/Legnum headlights.

Nick Mann
08-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Your knowledge here is legendary! Thanks again.

MarkSanne
09-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Some time ago I finished building a set of projector JDM headlights (with electronic headlight adjustment) where I used 3" projectors.

A full set of photo's tells the story, so the dutch language shouldn't bother too much :)

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1597

BTW: I didn't install them in a car yet... I want do it properly and get rid of all the extra wiring / ballasts / etc so I plan on mounting and hiding most of that stuff behind the side fenders.

Nick Mann
09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Interesting, Mark. That's what I was considering if the 3" stuff fits. The ones you have used there look exactly like the ones I spotted.......

exevoowner
15-12-2013, 06:18 PM
very good mark they look cool do like the red centres

Nick Mann
15-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Mark, in those pictures it looks like there is no downward movement at all, the projectors look like they are already touching the inside of the housing. How does the adjustment work?

MarkSanne
27-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Adjustment is exactly like original. The reflectors are simply re-used, only now they house the projectors. The projector-HID-lamps are 2-piece and held together with 4 screws. I've unscrewed them and they fit super-snug into the hole I cut out of the original reflectors. I've also added euro-headlight height level motors, but that is optional ofcourse.

It all works like a charm and the amount of light is insane. Added benefit to how I have wired it, is that for main beam only 1 lamp on each side lights up. But when I use high beams it just activates the second pair of projectors lamps, not actually going into high beam mode at all. In NL we are not allowed to drive with 2 main beams on each side, but with this setup I blind no-one when I use high-beams, so when I want to have more light I can active high-beam mode and still no-one will be blinded.

Tonight I also finished the terminator red-light switch wiring, which works completely independent of any other light-functions. This is a show-thing only, because again, in NL (and I think almost everywhere) any other colour than white light is not permitted coming from the front of your car.

Still I think it looks insanely bad-ass!

exevoowner
27-12-2013, 11:46 PM
they look so cool was it hard to fit the levelers or would it be best to fit glass headlights with them fitted ?

MarkSanne
28-12-2013, 12:18 AM
The leveler-motors aren't too hard, just dril a larger hole where the usual manual-adjuster sits and chop off the remaining bits of plastic that still stick out. Then carefully cut or melt down the 3 locking inserts indentations and the motor-part is pretty much done (I've also plastic welded -melted- 3 lock bits to prevent turning the motor further than it should. Not super necessary as the motor itself with its rubber o-ring already sits very solid on just that, but hey, I'm a bit of a nut so it's 'just' another 10 minutes extra time :)

A truly time consuming thing is modifying the corner repeater bulb-fittings. With the motor in place, they don't fit anymore. This why I've cut of a piece of the fitting, soldered longer connectors onto them and then folded them to one side and covered it with hot glue. I did that a couple of years ago with the first JDM set that I converted to motorized levelers and that's still like it was when I did it, so that seems to work properly. And I have certainly took them out more than just a couple of times, so it all seems durable. However, to avoid this step it seems you can also fit more compact VW leveler-motors, not sure which type/year, but it's on here somewhere in a topic about headlights that I started or replied on.

In short: if you don't want to do all this, use the glass ones :)

Badger_01
11-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Warrant guy said that my lights where wrong that there was no cut off and that it "blobbed"

I dunno haha I can see at night and havent had people flash me so I dont see whats wrong haha

Subaru ETA
11-01-2014, 04:53 AM
They have absolutely no pattern that's the problem!

Badger_01
11-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Hmmm haha I have no idea on how they should actually look, which makes it harder on figuring out how to fix them lol

Subaru ETA
11-01-2014, 05:19 AM
You probably can't. Do they use the factory lens?

Badger_01
11-01-2014, 05:22 AM
I put these in http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-G1-HID-Bi-xenon-Projector-Lens-Light-H4-H1-H7-9005-9006-4300K-6000K-8000K-/250919711236?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6bfaf204

The same way as everyone else haha

Edit: Just went and had a look at them and the right hand side projector is chipped on the side, would that cause it to be on the piss?

MarkSanne
11-01-2014, 09:55 AM
There's pictures of how the cut off line should look like in the ebay pictures for that product :)

swinks
11-01-2014, 01:29 PM
That's how it should be done:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/swinks_UK/projectors/P1030195.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/swinks_UK/projectors/P1030298.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/swinks_UK/projectors/P1030198-1.jpg

Badger_01
11-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Hmm so maybe the chip in the projector lens has affected it

crazydriver81
11-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Reece, the picture you posted does not look correct to me. Is there a change in the beam pattern, when you change to high beam?

There is soo much light against that wall, it looks like the projector units are on constant high beam.

You have realized to change wiring of the lens units, when connecting to the factory car loom?

Nick Mann
15-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Some time ago I finished building a set of projector JDM headlights (with electronic headlight adjustment) where I used 3" projectors.

A full set of photo's tells the story, so the dutch language shouldn't bother too much :)

http://www.galant-fans.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1597

BTW: I didn't install them in a car yet... I want do it properly and get rid of all the extra wiring / ballasts / etc so I plan on mounting and hiding most of that stuff behind the side fenders.

So I have some questions!!

It looks like you have dismantled the projectors. Was this to make them fit better? They are sitting much further backward than they would if you used the fitting kits that come with the lamps. I guess that ties in with the large hole you have cut in the reflectors. If all that is true, then how did you mount them to the reflectors?

MarkSanne
15-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Yep, they are basically 2 parts and those two are held together with 4 screws. The holes I cut with this hole-cutter are very, very luckily a super precise fit and actually I really need to wedge the 2 halves of the projectors in from each side and upon putting the screws back in, it fits so tight there is no need for anything else. This way, indeed, they sit much deeper in the lamps, actually, they don't even get past the end of the reflectors.

Nick Mann
16-02-2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Mark. Just put some in a fitting using the supplied fitting kit and the low beam lamp slightly fouls the bottom edge of the shroud. Moving it back like you have should solve the issue. Plus I can install it slightly higher anyway. I will investigate the hole size tomorrow. :D

Nick Mann
16-02-2014, 02:32 PM
So I have now cut a 70mm hole in the reflector - this will allow me to put the two halves back together either side of the reflector, but it will introduce a seperation between the two halves of the projector of about 5mm. Is that what you did Mark? I am worried that this may cause a pattern change in the beam.

MarkSanne
16-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Yeah that's what I first thought as well Nick. I actually started using longer screws, but with a little more wiggeling and getting the screws gripping, I found I could actually use the original screws and mount them up perfectly snug. To be honest, I ended up doing it all twice as I mounted them all upside down... I don't think oncoming traffic would have liked that :)

After mounting the projectors/reflectors back in the black headlight housing I quickly put them in the car and lighted them up to confirm the image was now correct & sharp. And it was/is :) Only then I put the plastic clear piece back on.

Nick Mann
16-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Maybe a bigger hole than 70mm is needed then. I'm not sure I have time for a while to carry on so I will have to play with it later.

MarkSanne
17-02-2014, 03:35 PM
I'll dig up the hole cutter and see it's diameter tonight Nick.

Badger_01
12-04-2014, 02:55 AM
So Im finally trying sort out my lights and read this bit

solved... probably a easier way, but this worked for me

i used the factory Hi + and - to activate a relay,
that allowed the 12v + on the hi beam to only switch the magneto to only switch when high beam was actually on

But I dont really understand it lol

kiwigalant
12-04-2014, 03:22 AM
So Im finally trying sort out my lights and read this bit

But I dont really understand it lol
The hi beam is only used as a signal? I don't know what they mean by a magneto lol.

Badger_01
19-04-2014, 04:45 AM
I just wanna know how to hook up the relay so I get low beams and not constant high beam lol

Nick Mann
19-04-2014, 07:20 AM
I haven't done this yet but I am planning to. If I understand it correctly, then the magneto moves a flap inside the projector, which changes the beam from low to high. For low beam you need the flap closed and for high beam you need the flap open. I am not sure why you would need a relay.

crazyken76
24-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Hi m8 how much would you charge to do this kit for my car I have 8000k hid kit on the car now can I use this with this kit ?