PDA

View Full Version : Paint matching

SGHOM
13-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Not as easy as it sounds !! got the paint for my bonnet, but I'm not certain it's going to be an exact match.
Firstly, there are 3 shades of A71, hamilton silver. none of them looked exact when I tried them. but when we moved the car into a different place [ more shade ] they looked nearer ??
It got better after that !!! looking from the left, it was exact. looking from above, it was a totally different colour !
So then we got out more swatches from different paint manufacturers, & tried around 20 different colours, & no matter what we tried, nothing was an exact match.
By the way, my car is hamilton silver, & has not had a respray. finally settled on the lightest shade of the OEM colour, but it will have to be merged into the wings, & both wings laquered.
Solid colours are far easier to match, but metalics ?? :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

BraindG
13-04-2004, 01:42 PM
perhaps some sun fade involved?

SGHOM
13-04-2004, 01:48 PM
probably Barry, 3 of us, spent 30 mins trying to find the right paint !! :| getting the bonnet painted on monday !! :D

BraindG
13-04-2004, 01:50 PM
get an airjob on it.. nice big nekked chick :D

SGHOM
13-04-2004, 01:56 PM
seriously thought about that !!! having the car in metaflake silver. keep the base colour, & just flat, & spray over with metaflake paint, & then laquer. !! :-b :-b
the punto at the rolling rd day looked sweet, & it only cost him £100 !! :$ :rolleyes5

enigma
13-04-2004, 02:16 PM
seriously thought about that !!! having the car in metaflake silver. keep the base colour, & just flat, & spray over with metaflake paint, & then laquer. !! :-b :-b
the punto at the rolling rd day looked sweet, & it only cost him £100 !! :$ :rolleyes5

Errr.....it was an Almera Derek! :$

enigma
13-04-2004, 02:48 PM
get an airjob on it.. nice big nekked chick :D

Is an airjob similar to a blow over? If so can you have an air over or a blow job? :D

Polabear
13-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Seriously Guy's, after having been involved in paint and body work quite extensivley myself in the past, and I'm sure Marcus will bear me out, the ultimate way to get the best match possible is to try and find out what paint manufacturer mitsy use as std on their cars.

Different car manufacturers use different paint manufacturers ie. VAG/AUDI use only Glasurit as do BMW. I used to own a black Audi URL Quattro, now black is black ...right....wrong, there were so many different shades of black it was crazy, but after chatting to a buddy of mine who was bodyshop foreman at the local Audi dealers, he nocked up a ltr of black, no tints, no fades nothing just straight edge to edge, but methinks I'm going to have probs with the colour of the new Legnum I'm importing, it is Pearlescent White, and I don't think that even using factory paint is going to match this on very well :sick: think you'd be up to it Marcus ? :) sorry if I rambled guy's.

Big Ian
13-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Not as easy as it sounds !! got the paint for my bonnet, but I'm not certain it's going to be an exact match.
Firstly, there are 3 shades of A71, hamilton silver. none of them looked exact
mine's is also A71 but it is called seattle silver and belive it or not i got a perfect match from halfords.they mixed it in the shop and you can buy it in spray can's or pot's..

SGHOM
21-04-2004, 07:53 PM
just the mesh to fit this weekend. I think they look OK ?? :-b
As for the colour match........ mmm ??? looking from the front, It's a damned near perfect match, but looking from the side, It's not so near !! AND looking towards the front of the car, It's even more obvious ?? :$
The guy who painted it, says its to do with the way the particles 'lay' on the bonnet ??[ it being metalic base coat & laquer ] " you could paint it all day long, but you'll get a different look from different angles ?? Is he right ??
I'll let you take a look, then I'll edit some new pics in daylight tomorrow !!

/edit; see what I mean ?? taken just now in daylight. from the front, pretty good match ?? from the back ??? :$ :$

Nick Mann
21-04-2004, 08:48 PM
May be just my monitor - but they look okay?

nick-f1
21-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Mines A71 silver as well. But that looks ok to me too, as you say bright daylight is best tho'.

Nick

enigma
21-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Ssssccchhhhwwweeeeeeeet! :d

Rally205
22-04-2004, 05:51 PM
You lot must be colour blind!!! Even my Mrs can see the difference :-D

Silver is probably the worst colour in the world to match after red. The problem with using colour swatches to match your paint is that they are not the actual paint colour. They are printed ink not paint. They are to be used as a guide only but any painter worth his salt will know which shade to use and on silver will blend the adjacent panels.

"think you'd be up to it Marcus ? "

Bring it on! No problem. ;)

Rally205
22-04-2004, 05:54 PM
....But make sure you have a fat wallet!! :laugh:

Mel
18-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Anyone find a match for Trigger Mauve in a spray can? I have a few spots of car park rash that I'd like to sort. The best that Mitsi can offer are touch up tubes- I'm after a bit more extensive patching than that will manage!

I tried the usual Wilco/Halfords... but nothing is close.

Rally205
20-09-2004, 10:54 AM
If you go along to your local bodyshop paint supplier they should be able to colour match your car and make an aerosol can up for you.

Polabear
20-09-2004, 11:15 AM
just the mesh to fit this weekend. I think they look OK ?? :-b
As for the colour match........ mmm ??? looking from the front, It's a damned near perfect match, but looking from the side, It's not so near !! AND looking towards the front of the car, It's even more obvious ?? :$
The guy who painted it, says its to do with the way the particles 'lay' on the bonnet ??[ it being metalic base coat & laquer ] " you could paint it all day long, but you'll get a different look from different angles ?? Is he right ??
I'll let you take a look, then I'll edit some new pics in daylight tomorrow !!

/edit; see what I mean ?? taken just now in daylight. from the front, pretty good match ?? from the back ??? :$ :$

DUH!!!!! wheres the images Derek....cos I'm a nozy old Bear... :dozey: