View Full Version : New Brakes

T O NUTTER
13-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Just Been Offered Some Evo 6 Brembo Brakes Front And Rear With Disks
For £400 Is It Worth ItAND WILL THEY FIT ON MY 2001 VR4

wirdy
13-04-2004, 04:57 PM
For £400 I'd say so ;)
H7 can answer your fit question, or do asearch for mucho info on this subject!!

Roadrunner
13-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Yep, the Brembos are pretty much a straight replacement for the OEM discs and sliding calipers :)

The Evo 320mm front and 302mm rear discs fit with no issues.

You'll need to ditch the disc backplates on the fronts, but they're only there to protect the suspension joints from heat and, with the Brembos, everything is a wee bit further away, so no probs.

You can either keep the standard 284mm discs on the back, in which case the Brembo calipers fit, but you may need to machine a few mm off the inside of the calipers to make them sit centrally on the discs; or you can fit the Evo 302mm discs, in which case the calipers are fine but you'll probably have to cut a bit of the backplate to clear the calipers. Note that some of the handbrake mechanism is embedded in the backplate, so it can't just be discarded.

£400 is a good price if everything is in good nick (I paid £500 for almost new front and rear calipers, front discs and all hoses, plus around £380 for a pair of new rear discs, 'cos my originals were pretty well worn).

You will need 17" wheels to accommodate the front Brembos - make sure these have the correct offset to clear the calipers.

One other thing, which I discovered Evo owners have to live with too :rolleyes: is that, with Brembos on the front, the space-saver spare wheel doesn't fit over the calipers so, if you get a front wheel puncture, you'd need to remove the front wheel, replace it with a rear wheel, and fit the space-saver on the rear :undecided . Or, you do what I do and pack a couple of cans of tyre foam ...

Good, cost-effective upgrade imo :) and they do look the part :cool1: :D

Brian

T O NUTTER
14-04-2004, 04:54 PM
thanks lads,im going to fit them this weekend,thats another sunday the kids are going to suffer, :D