PDA

View Full Version : AYC stayed on for about 50 metres.

martin_y
02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Hi all

Parked the car at the school to fetch my boy. When i got in again and reversed, the AYC stayed on. The lights went up and down with the speed.

Going forwards down the road the same happened again. at less than 5 mph, all lights stayed on, and the pump was running. After about 50 metres it went off, and was all normal again for the 1 mile home.

Anyone have an idea? :speechles :speechles
A temporary failure of an ABS sensor perhaps?

Have never checked the oil in it, will do tomorrow !

bradc
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Perhaps a sensor, that would make the most sense. Even on very low tyre pressures it is very hard to get more than 1 light to come on

martin_y
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks Brad. You agree an ABS sensor most likely?

Physician
02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Of course it COULD be a sensor playing up but I'd leave it for a while and see if it happens again. Sure ......... check the fluids are topped up and clean.

Are there any 'sleeping policeman' speed calming bumps around the school roads? Excessive movement of your suspension can cause the AYC to fire up - it ALWAYS does on mine if the car has been lifted for wheels, tyres etc. but after 20-50 meters it's fine again. The other trigger is tyre pressures ...... for the last week or so I'd noticed a very slight difference in the car's cornering and stability and my AYC was coming on more than usual - sure enough, rear tyre pressures were 34 and 32. :)

martin_y
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
no sleeping policemen or anything at all that I can think could contribute. And I hadne been hooning it before that either.

I'll check pressures and fluid, and carry on suspecting that the sensor had a moment, or some piece of dirt or something got between the sensor and the hub. ?

Turbo_Steve
02-04-2009, 03:01 PM
that'd be my guess...sensor contamination.

pitslayer
02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Parked on a kerb/funny angle on one wheel? Mine did this after having it jacked up on a funny angle

martin_y
02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
No, not that either!

foxdie
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
This happened on mine, turned out I had a low tyre at the rear, hasn't happened since I filled it up :)