PDA

View Full Version : Single turbo conversions 101

LWNMWR
03-04-2009, 12:27 AM
hey guys

im writing from the ozvr4 forums... im just looking for basics on what needs to be done/ purchased for a single turbo upgrade on my legnum... its just an idea atm, however i have been told there has been a couple of successful single upgrades here so i guess im just looking for some advice in slightly plainer terms haha >.< yeah im still learning and now i know that the single turbo can be done... i want to understand how and if there are any pro's/ con's etc

any help greatly appreciated

:)

Brett

mpau009
03-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Roughly speaking, it will depend on what extent you go to, but if youre thinking similar lines to me..

- Turbo
- External wastegate or modify the internal if you can (i couldnt)
- Exhaust flanges (or totally custom manifolds off the block if youre richer than me)
- Steel piping, steam pipe or stainless. For the manifold extensions and new down pipe.
- Rest of the exhaust if you dont have that
- Intercooler (might as well)
- Alloy piping for intake side, clamps & joiners
- Customise / replace intake manifold (could go to town on this if you want i guess..
- Plumbing & oil lines (if you have a water cooled turbo)
- Fuel Pump & Pressure Regulator (probably a good idea)
- Battery relocation
- Ecu or other fuelling control option
- Various pissing around with wiring etc
- Heat Wrap or cermaic coating for downpipe and probably extensions.
- Injector upgrade & probably fuel rails depending on how far you go..

Pretty much 90% of the stuff you need to do for a single turbo you need to do for a twin upgrade.

The costs really come down to how hard you want to shop around, and who you can hit up for metalwork.. but still nothing is ever easy, and the results are always a bit unknown with these cars..

Have a look for the projects from Valmes, Borgan, Zentac, Tyler and myself, and cherry pick the best and worst ideas would be the best place to start thinking about it in my opinion

djb160
03-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Tyler has a custom plenum as well with mini runners. His coils are breaking down but it seems to me that this is just in his particular case and not really to do with his power out put given that Valmes runs more flow and I think he is still on stock ignition(apart from plugs afaik).

Tyler has a gt35/40 I think. Having seen his dyno printout I can say its a thing of beauty even if his power does come on later than I would like.

LWNMWR
03-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Oh okay sweet thanks heaps guys

bradc
03-04-2009, 05:31 AM
search for td05 and you'll find a massive thread detailing mpau's experiences with his single turbo