PDA

View Full Version : Wheel arches/fender flares troubles? Wanted new orginals?

MarkSanne
03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I have got two sets of copies/aftermarket fender flares, but they don't seem to match up all that good on both a pre-facelift Legnum and a facelift galant saloon (2.4 GDi), see:

uploaded/1887/1238769488.jpg
uploaded/1887/1238769504.jpg
uploaded/1887/1238769523.jpg
uploaded/1887/1238769539.jpg

uploaded/1887/1238769395.jpg
uploaded/1887/1238769416.jpg
uploaded/1887/1238769440.jpg
uploaded/1887/1238769461.jpg

Did I misunderstood what I was buying? Am I doing something wrong? Or are these bad copies? I'd be very willing to buy an original set if those do fit properly on these cars.

Gly
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
there missing the rubber trim that sit between the flair and the body.
also looks like you have them sitting to high

also they will never fit correctly on prefacelifts because of the different body kit,
facelift flairs only blend in with the facelift factory body kit

MarkSanne
03-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks. Anyone know how this rubber trim looks or any tips to create something like it?

bradc
04-04-2009, 12:29 AM
If you have a look at my gallery you will see how the facelift side skirts are different. I think the wheel arch extensions look fine, you just have to find the other parts to match.

AlanDITD
04-04-2009, 01:17 AM
deleted

VR4WGN
04-04-2009, 08:06 AM
um did you buy them from another country? if so whom,secondly,id like to say that i sucessfully installed facelift wheel arch flares on my 1 PF/L legnum last week,will show pics soon,and it fitted mint,used mikes flares(fibreglass replicas),and awsum fitment.
no rubber tho,but will be painting them on the guards and using sikaflex to form its own sealer and shape it too,i just sold my factory set toa guy in Elnivo or something like that lol

MarkSanne
04-04-2009, 08:33 AM
@VR4WGN: I bought the sets from two members, at least from NZ. I do not blame those guys at all, both sets were never used by them. The sets apparantly were created in fiberglass by "woodeye" as I just learned. Not PM-ed him. But I don't think I'll contact him, as the sets probably are just fine, I just need to find out on which cars they can be installed and how.

So any tips are welcome.

VR4WGN
05-04-2009, 05:52 AM
yea dude my flares are the exact same items made from mikes molds(woodeye),and like i said i Guarantee perfect fitment,ofcourse the rubber wont be there but using a automotive sealer you can recreate your own rubber seal and shape it aswell with your finger.
mounting for me is easy but i do this thing evryday,kits etc.. um youll need to make up some steel brackets from thin steel(2mm fine),then then crease 1 end and drill hole to mount on flare area and 1 for guard area,then simply attatch like factory does,the rears then use the same technique but youll be drilling mounting holes in the arches(underside not on the outside),then fix(glue) steel mountings to flares and screw on,then simply gently push or pul flare till it sits correct then remove,put some automotive sealer plentyfull and screw back in place,and leave it for a while till dry,then spray paint or do it all b4 final fitment
leme know if you need better directions as i know i speak as if in tunnel vision

MarkSanne
05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks a lot! Will try to mount it that way. btw: still like to see pics on you pre-facelift with the wheel arches!!

peter thomson
05-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Woodeye sent me some pics when I bought the arches from him. I think they may be on my work pc and will post them up on Monday if they are still there. I haven't fitted mine yet as I hadn't decided what to do about the seals.

MarkSanne
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
hat would be great Peter! Thanks in advance!

V6-24
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
did you ask mitsi dealer the seals? i guess they can get them...
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/galantEST/flare.jpg

MarkSanne
05-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for that! Without a caps printscreen the Dutch mitsi dealers won't have a clue where to look for this kind of stuff as they never ever see a VR4, let alone certain options like these fender arches!

V6-24
05-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks for that! Without a caps printscreen the Dutch mitsi dealers won't have a clue where to look for this kind of stuff as they never ever see a VR4, let alone certain options like these fender arches!

yeah, know what you mean. I have both ASA and CAPS so i go to mitsi only with parts numbers. its lot easier and saves my time and nerves...

Fully
06-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Facelift flares!
Facelift side skirts will remove the gaps on the inside. The flare on the front should match the front of the guard. The 2 join at the bumper and guard.

Get a facelift front bumper, Then its just the back to sort out.

peter thomson
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
hat would be great Peter! Thanks in advance!

Sorry Mark they've gone . pm woodeye and I'm sure he can post some more pics.

VR4WGN
12-04-2009, 12:58 AM
um pics will be up shortly for the flares on a PF/L,mike now has the end caps to go with the arch flares now,um however i do have a F/L front end and skirts so hence hy it all looks nicely in place

VR4WGN
13-04-2009, 01:48 AM
well this should CLEAR any doubts about Mikes(woodeye) flare kits.
note that there is no rubber or adheasive or any fastening glue of any sort except normal screws to mount them.
as the photo shows the fitment is superb and that i dont even need to use adhesive or sealer,it was a really simple job to mount and fit the flares,very easy,and the end result?? a PF/L with F/L flare kit on it,no body work has been done to make them fit.
hope you enjoy

Fully
13-04-2009, 06:37 AM
That is so wrong.
You are saying that the FL flares fit on to a PFL with no body work.

I'm sorry but that is not the case. You will need a FL bumper, side skirts and rear lip to make them fit.

Mine dont fit, in more than 1 place, you carnt open the back door, is the biggst issue.

MarkSanne
13-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks or the pictures update. Especially interested in the front wheel arche fitment too. Any chance of pics of those too? Thanks!

VR4WGN
13-04-2009, 08:24 AM
That is so wrong.
You are saying that the FL flares fit on to a PFL with no body work.

I'm sorry but that is not the case. You will need a FL bumper, side skirts and rear lip to make them fit.

Mine dont fit, in more than 1 place, you carnt open the back door, is the biggst issue.

Bro im not going to argue but let the pictures tell the TRUTH..... ofcourse the obviouse to fit the sideskirts etc is optional,this is talking bout the flares ok,
and you do NOT need a rear lip,for this i will provide picture proof again.
Have Faith!!!

VR4WGN
13-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks or the pictures update. Especially interested in the front wheel arche fitment too. Any chance of pics of those too? Thanks!

arch flares are fitted but now removed for painting and blending in the next week or so but i think i have a pic of them on actually.will post pic if i find them

VR4WGN
13-04-2009, 08:32 AM
again pictures for proof:afro:

VR4WGN
13-04-2009, 08:34 AM
once again i remind all that the flares where sold and stated as Facelift Flares,however should or would you want to put it on a Pre-Facelift then the obviouse for the flares to look complete youll need to fit F/L Skirts,and bumper,but NO REAR LIP

Fully
13-04-2009, 08:45 AM
No Rear lip?
What would you do with the rear flare at it end as it will be in no man land...lol

Look at your attachment 26737 - 2nd pic up Just doent look right.

woodeye
13-04-2009, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=Fully]No Rear lip?

what he means is that you would need facelift rear end caps NOT a full rear lip unless you are to mod it to fit.

These Flares are moulded from FACTORY flares if these were not to fit then the factory flares would not fit either correct ????.

So if you would like these to fit then you will need the following to fit correctly.

1 x 6 piece flare set (fibreglass)
1 x set of facelift side skirts
1 x set facelift legnum rear end caps (fibreglass) Can supply at extra cost.
1 x facelift front bumper or after market bumper.

Below is a picture of the PRE facelift legnum with these flares on.
And yes before any ones goes on and on regarding if there is a difference
between galant and legnum flares there is not. These were moulded from
a friends 99 vr4 galant and As you can see (vr4wgn) purchased these off me and shows them on his legnum.

If they don't fit then take a closer look at your car , It may have been in a crash before you owened it and not repaired corrently or the repair has been done on the cheap.

I hope this clears the air.

Woodeye

woodeye
13-04-2009, 09:39 AM
uploaded/3002/1239611905.jpg

peter thomson
13-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi Woodeye do you have pics with the arches and the Dolphin kit fitted .I'm sure you sent me some a long time ago but I think I lost them when my HDD failed. And no I still haven't fitted mine but they will be going on this year

bradc
13-04-2009, 10:54 AM
If you can't open the rear doors then the arches must be installed too high up or too far forward or something. I saw that car on Friday and the flares fitted fine.

Can you show us a pic of the door area Shane to show where it is catching?

Fully
13-04-2009, 11:11 AM
They are going on this!
You said that to me last time. I dont think it has being crashed, too straight for that.

How much are the end caps?

bradc
13-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Attached is the best I can do Pete

peter thomson
13-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Attached is the best I can do Pete

Thanks Brad. I tried the rear arch in position today and it looks like a perfect fit. Might have to do a little work at the front but not too much I think

bradc
13-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Is that with the Dolphin front and side skirts or stock?

VR4WGN
13-04-2009, 09:06 PM
thanx for the clarifying guys. um a little tell tale sign to look for when mounting them,look for the factory area where the beading is normally attatched,theres little tags on the flres,line those tags up with the front of the arches,this will leave 5mm gap between the front of the arche and the flare wich sits it in corrct place and lines up beautifully.
thanx for the verification Brad..

peter thomson
13-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Is that with the Dolphin front and side skirts or stock?

Dolphin side skirts but I still have my pre face bumper. I'll be fitting the facelift one this year as well when I do the arches and finally fit my ganador mirrors as well

woodeye
19-04-2009, 11:15 AM
How much are the end caps?

RRP $150.00 but can do a set for $120.00 + shipping These are facelift legnum ones but do fit galants . I will post a pic 2moro of them when i call round to vr4wgn and test fit them to his galant.

cheers

Woodeye

peter thomson
23-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I asked Mitzi for a price on the seals for my arches from Woodeye . You used to be able to buy the seals cut to size but now they only supply one size which you cut to length if it is too long .They are £17.50 each and I expect I would need 5 pieces .That would be more than I paid for the arches so I have ordered a seal that I hope will do the job but they will only be available in black rather than body colur.

peter thomson
24-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Seal has arrived.It is a bit bigger than the original but I reckon it should work and produce a good seal between the arch and bodywork.

Eagleton
01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
does anyone know how much these arches build out from the car? The reason Im askin is that I need some spacers to get my wheels out for the Brembo brakes. But my rims are allready as far out as possible without sticking out from the wheelarches.

bradc
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
You can pull on the lip a bit to pull it out (only 3-5mm or so), or you can get custom flares built for you to suit whatever you want.