PDA

View Full Version : coasting in neutral

mal
03-04-2009, 10:49 PM
hi, i had a loud screeching noise coming from the front of my legnum at 70 - 80 mph i was concerned that it was the engine so dropped it into neutral and coasted it a couple of times in the process of elimination with engine ticking over, it turned out to be something in the wheel but my mate who is pretty clued up says that i will have damaged the auto box as its the same as towing. does anyone think that i have? as it looks like sleepless nights at the moment.i have only just put it back on the road after nearly 4 months off it!!!! this legnum ownership seems very stressfull ha ha!!!? any reply would be gratefully recieved
thanks Mal

peter thomson
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
If the engine was still running then the oil pump in the box would still have been operating so it should be fine

foxdie
03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I've coasted mine a couple of times in neutral coming up to a junction, hasn't done any harm. Engines been running though as peter says, keeps the oil pumping.

Subaru ETA
03-04-2009, 11:10 PM
yup it will be fine - as mentioned if the engine is still running it will be fine

mal
03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
thanks very much for all info i can sleep easy tonight, cheers peter, am back in the land of the legnums! but its been a slow process the car is looking better than ever now even the canard!!?? it drives like a dream just got to get it to stop. many thanks to all Mal

peter thomson
03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Did you get the canard repaired Mal

mal
03-04-2009, 11:36 PM
hi, dont laugh but i went back to Mc,donalds and found a few bits, took the bumper off and cut it up and then spent ten hours plastic welding it all back together, my wife thought i had gone insane but it turned out pretty good, couldn"t have a super without them? i went to Mc, donalds last night with my kids to face my demons lol
Mal

peter thomson
03-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Lol , better than not having one at all.