PDA

View Full Version : AYC Fluid Changed

AlanDITD
04-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Decided to Change the fluid today, reason for this was the lights were coming on far to easily and an odd grumble from the back, i took a Chance that both were coming from the AYC would be very coincedental otherwise.

I folloed the how to guide which was great, the 17mm fill bolt off first which is a complete pain to get off, i would advise using a spanner rather than fighting with a hole host of bendy extensions to get in the subframe hole. And then a 10mm hex key for the drain.

I will post a picture shortly of my AYC Fluid, to say im not happy would be an understatement, The oil is minging very dark verging on black. The magnetic Drain bolt was also covered in tiny Shards of metal :(

I bought four litres of ATF so i plan to run the car for a day or two and then drop and refill to make sure that old crap is all out of there.

On the plus side, took the car for a run, no leaks gave it some hoofing out of a junction and barley an AYC light on, just how it was when i bought the car.

Either the fluid has become contaminated very quickly for some reason, or it hasnt been changed in a long time. Judging by the tightness of both drain and fill bolt im going with the later.

Anyway if you dont know the history of your car change the fluids this may have just saved me a fortune not having to replace the AYC unit.

Cheers

Nick Mann
04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
How long have you had the car? Mitsy recommend this fluid to be changed every 4500 miles. It can go longer if you don't abuse the AYC system regularly. I change mine every time I do the engine oil As I use Amsoil I don't do this every 4500 miles. More like every 8000.

I regularly see cars now with new owners where this fluid has been ignored. The independant garage wil likely as not miss it completely. Probably through ignorance rather than bad workmanship.

I'd onsider changing the gear oil as well, if you haven't. Mitsy suggest this is a 45000 mile jobby, but IMO the oil can look used after 10k. I also change mine every 8000. I just do both when I'm there. For the cost of a litre of gear oil it gives me peace of mind.

AlanDITD
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Well tomorow i plan to do the Diff and the transfer box tomorow, just trying to find a place that sells the correct oil.

Well whatever reason it was neglected, i have had the car about a month and a half. Should have done it as soon as i got it really.

But i was assured it had been done by the trader who sold me it but i should no better.

I always planned to do it every 4.5k miles mate thats why i did it now they told me about 3k ago and i have done around 1500miles in the car since buying it.

Will re-drain the AYC tomorow and refill, have been for a run tonight got the sytem working a few times to get the oil around then drop it in the morn with more new fresh oil to make sure its rid off all that crap.

AlanDITD
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Picture uploaded, i have smeared some of the oil on a white surface so you can see the discolouration (sp)

Cheers

miller
04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
yup that aint seen daylight in years!

Changed mine last month on the 4500 service, (i didnt Nick did) it was as red as the day it went it!

TAR
04-04-2009, 11:51 PM
The AYC fluid in the reservoir will most likely need changing as well, it doesn't have to work as hard as that in the clutch pack, but is well worth changing based on the lack of evidence of any recent fluid change.
:happy:

AlanDITD
04-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Ok is this the one best left to the dealers as it requires bleeding of the system? Ill have a go at mmost thingsbut not sure if i fancy that and messing it up.

thanks

Kieran
05-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Ok is this the one best left to the dealers as it requires bleeding of the system?

No need for a dealer to do it, you can bleed the AYC system on our cars without a MUT!

See here for handy article:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23948

AlanDITD
05-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Last thing mate,

The resovoir for the fluid, mines not there, i have looked everywhere round the area in all the light places to.

Mines a prefacelift legnum are they in a differnt place?

thanks

ZZToP
05-04-2009, 01:11 AM
It's behind the closest right panel to the tailgate.

Kieran
05-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Hmmm. That guide was written using my Legnum - Also a prefacelift. The location of the reservoir didn't change.

AlanDITD
05-04-2009, 01:12 AM
I thought that, but its def not there even got in the boot and had a proper look in the hole.

Maybe it has no fluid lol, magic diff

Kieran
05-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Hmm, okay, well on the diff, you should be able to see the high pressure hoses coming out - Have a nosey where they go to - Maybe Mr. Japanese owner relocated the reservoir or something?

AlanDITD
05-04-2009, 01:23 AM
I shall report back in the morning.

Cheers mate

TAR
05-04-2009, 05:49 PM
The reservoir feeds the AYC pump which is located right at the back of the car on the drivers side - look just under the rear bumper and you should see a plate bolted to the side and bottom of the car, about the size of a car battery mounting plate. The AYC pump is fitted to (above) it.

If its not there or there is no pump then you have a problem. If it is there, the pipes from it go up into the space behind the rear quarter trim panel where the reservoir should be.

:happy:

AlanDITD
05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Cheers guys you were both right, im an idiot and thats all im saying :D

Good news is the fluid looks very clean so im going to leave it. Maybe the last owner only changed that oil not realising there were two parts to the system.