PDA

View Full Version : Noob with a 2.4 GDI

Ian P
07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Had my Galant 2.4 GDI (4G64) for about 6 months now and I'm looking to tune it as much as I possibly can. However, no tuning company seems to have a clue what to do with it! Any help and advice on making this car quicker would be massively appreciated!

elnevio
07-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Ian and /Welcome2 to CVR4!

You will get a whole raft of people telling you to buy a 2.5 V6 or a VR-4, which is fairly good advice from a performance point of view.

I don't think there's a lot around for the 2.4 GDI engine. You will however (if you don't already!) be well-served by ensuring you run it on super unleaded, as this helps keep the GDI in lean burn mode for longer, if you're being frugal, and it also assists with preventing the GDI from coking up.

Performance wise, there's probably some mileage in getting a high-flow panel filter and uprated exhaust system (possibly a decat/sports cat too).

Hopefully, a few others will be popping on to say hi, and might have a few more suggestions for you. :thumbsup:

peter thomson
07-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi and welcome to the club. Posted the JDM part number in your other thread.

I-S
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the club. That's the good news.

There's very little you can do with the 2.4 GDI.

High compression ratio makes it pretty touchy about anything putting it out of factory tune. Misfiring leads to unburned fuel as carbon. Heavy EGR puts that carbon back to the top end where it coats the valves, which have no fuel flowing past them to clean them.

It's also generally unwilling to rev beyond 4000 rpm (it will do so, but not eagerly nor tunefully).

It is not, and never has been, meant for performance.

I gave up with mine after a little over a year and significant aggravation (and I wasn't even trying to tune it - I just wanted it to run properly!).

Ian P
07-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi Ian and /Welcome2 to CVR4!

You will get a whole raft of people telling you to buy a 2.5 V6 or a VR-4, which is fairly good advice from a performance point of view.

I don't think there's a lot around for the 2.4 GDI engine. You will however (if you don't already!) be well-served by ensuring you run it on super unleaded, as this helps keep the GDI in lean burn mode for longer, if you're being frugal, and it also assists with preventing the GDI from coking up.

Performance wise, there's probably some mileage in getting a high-flow panel filter and uprated exhaust system (possibly a decat/sports cat too).

Hopefully, a few others will be popping on to say hi, and might have a few more suggestions for you. :thumbsup:

I've recently had to rebuild the head so while everything was apart had it de-coked, runs a hell of a lot better. I've got a friend who's going to de-cat it for me and I've found a Megan Racing cat-back exhaust from the U.S. that should fit my model. I've also found a turbo kit for the 4G64 block which I'd be able to fit myself. Dunno if that'd work with the GDI engine though, because I think it's intended for the U.S. 4G64 which is MFI.

I-S
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
You won't get very far with turbocharging at 11.5:1 compression...

Ian P
07-04-2009, 02:15 PM
You won't get very far with turbocharging at 11.5:1 compression...

http://www.turbo-kits.com/galant_turbo_kits.html

That's the kit I was looking at. I don't really know a lot about turbos, and I wasn't planning on doing it for quite some time, but if it's not gonna work then I'll have to be looking at a V6 engine swap. Oh, and I forgot to say before, I only run it on Shell V-Power fuel and I've already got the old K&N high flow panel filter. :2thumbsup

Nutter_John
07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
why not just buy a v6 rather than install a v6 engine into a gdi ??

I-S
07-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Indeed. That way you will also get the shorter (faster accelerating) V6 gear ratios too.

Kieran
07-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I've recently had to rebuild the head so while everything was apart had it de-coked, runs a hell of a lot better. I've got a friend who's going to de-cat it for me and I've found a Megan Racing cat-back exhaust from the U.S. that should fit my model. I've also found a turbo kit for the 4G64 block which I'd be able to fit myself. Dunno if that'd work with the GDI engine though, because I think it's intended for the U.S. 4G64 which is MFI.

Hey Ian - Just replied in your other thread, but forgot to say 'Welcome'! /pan

Yes, the UK spec 4G64 is quite a different animal to the USDM model and as such I wouldn't recommend turbocharging it. Unless you want a rebuilt bottom end to go with that nicely rebuilt head! :D

As for the Exhaust - again, superficially they may look the same but the US spec Galant is quite a different beast to the UK car - Whilst I don't know if there are differences exhaust wise, I'd say it's likey, so do check first.

I see you've already had the typical response to the performance question; I.E. 'Buy one of the quicker models'. /pan I do note that so far you've not been told to buy a VR-4 so you're doing well! :P

Seriously for a minute, unfortunately the GDI *is* the worst choice of the UK lineup from a tuning point of view. So if you really want to make a significant difference to your car then an engine swap would be the 'easiest' way, though this is still pretty drastic; it's not for the faint of heart and unless you are happy with mechanical work and things like reconstructing/hybridising wiring looms and the like, it could give you a bad cramp in the wallet! However, it has been done; There's been a couple of V6s that have been converted to VR4 engines, a 2.0 GLS that was turbocharged and Dutch Driver has an EVO 6 unit installed in his car. So it is possible to swap and change, if that's what you really want to do.

Or, you could just go and buy a VR:inquisiti:lipsrseal Oh, dammit.... :D

Ian P
07-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Hey Ian - Just replied in your other thread, but forgot to say 'Welcome'! /pan

Yes, the UK spec 4G64 is quite a different animal to the USDM model and as such I wouldn't recommend turbocharging it. Unless you want a rebuilt bottom end to go with that nicely rebuilt head! :D

As for the Exhaust - again, superficially they may look the same but the US spec Galant is quite a different beast to the UK car - Whilst I don't know if there are differences exhaust wise, I'd say it's likey, so do check first.

I see you've already had the typical response to the performance question; I.E. 'Buy one of the quicker models'. /pan I do note that so far you've not been told to buy a VR-4 so you're doing well! :P

Seriously for a minute, unfortunately the GDI *is* the worst choice of the UK lineup from a tuning point of view. So if you really want to make a significant difference to your car then an engine swap would be the 'easiest' way, though this is still pretty drastic; it's not for the faint of heart and unless you are happy with mechanical work and things like reconstructing/hybridising wiring looms and the like, it could give you a bad cramp in the wallet! However, it has been done; There's been a couple of V6s that have been converted to VR4 engines, a 2.0 GLS that was turbocharged and Dutch Driver has an EVO 6 unit installed in his car. So it is possible to swap and change, if that's what you really want to do.

Or, you could just go and buy a VR:inquisiti:lipsrseal Oh, dammit.... :D

Haha, yeah the VR-4 is damn appealing, but I've only just got the 2.4 and bearing in mind I'm only 19, the VR-4 is a bit unrealistic insurance-wise. A V6 might be the answer, but I'll be keeping the 2.4 for another year or so either way.

Rambaud
07-04-2009, 05:31 PM
ian, welcome to the Club. /Welcome2

As others have said, it's not really worth trying to tune the 2.4 GDI. I have left mine totally standard.

Only 2 options occurred to me - dropping in a VR4 engine or supercharging. But with the prices of VR4s/Legnums, it is probably cheaper to buy one of those.

Ian P
07-04-2009, 05:51 PM
ian, welcome to the Club. /Welcome2

As others have said, it's not really worth trying to tune the 2.4 GDI. I have left mine totally standard.

Only 2 options occurred to me - dropping in a VR4 engine or supercharging. But with the prices of VR4s/Legnums, it is probably cheaper to buy one of those.

Could the GDI be supercharged then? That was something that I thought about when I first got it, but everyone I've spoken to about it said it can't be done. Not that I've spoken to anyone who really knows anything about Mitsis, to be fair.

Rambaud
07-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Could the GDI be supercharged then? That was something that I thought about when I first got it, but everyone I've spoken to about it said it can't be done. Not that I've spoken to anyone who really knows anything about Mitsis, to be fair.

I don't know - you could be right. But the last time I looked a supercharging (for a V8 TVR I owned), it was something like £5000. :(

Makes a VR4 a bargain. :)

elnevio
07-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I assume the compression ratio would still be giving you problems, whether the forced induction be courtesy of a turbocharger OR supercharger.

Nutter_John
07-04-2009, 06:14 PM
correct Nev

Given you are 19 , drive the cr around for the next year or so , get used to it and learn to drive

Then look at more performance for another car as the GDI is not for speed

valleyforge1
13-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi and welcome. Plenty advice on here.

Nick VR4
13-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

Johnny_Cashed
14-04-2009, 01:17 AM
If insurance is a concern then modifying your car with a supercharger/turbo will I'm sure work out more expensive than buying an insuring a VR4. I got my V6 at 21 and insurance was a killer but then it was my first car, insurance group 15 is a joke for the car. Bear in mind that while insurance, servicing and fuel costs are higher for the VR4, when the full road tax hikes hit in a couple of years the V6 might cost £300-£400 per year rather than the VR4s £180 or whatever it is.

Kenneth
14-04-2009, 01:57 AM

The good news is yes, Mitsubishi actually have one that is turbo charged.

The bad news is that you can't just bolt one on, you would need to get a turbo kit and factory tuned ECU for your specific model of engine. (I think I only came across the kit on a 4G93 GDI)

The big issue is that the engine is very complicated, if anything goes wrong it can be very difficult to work out exactly what.

This complexity is also what makes it very unlikely that you will find any aftermarket ECU which will run it.

I am another one who had a GDI and then ditched it for a VR-4. A decision I have never regretted.

I-S
14-04-2009, 09:31 AM
However, Mitsubishi reduced the compression ratio of the 4G93 GDI from 12:1 to 10:1 when they turbocharged it.

I maintain that trying forced induction on the 4G64GDI with 11.5:1 compression is a total non-starter.

Even in the US eclipse scene with the regular 4G64 at 10:1, it is considered too high compression for turbocharging and usually the compression is reduced to between 8.5 to 9:1 for that purpose.

Rambaud
14-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I am another one who had a GDI and then ditched it for a VR-4. A decision I have never regretted.

Slightly different cars - bit like comparing a BMW 318 to an M3. :)

swinks
14-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I've found a Megan Racing cat-back exhaust from the U.S. that should fit my model. I've also found a turbo kit for the 4G64 block which I'd be able to fit myself. Dunno if that'd work with the GDI engine though, because I think it's intended for the U.S. 4G64 which is MFI.

Hi! and...
/Welcome2

And back to business...
I'm afraid you are much too optimistic. I had in a past Galant 2.4GDI and from my experience absolutely almost NOTHING from Galants USDM fits our Galants EUDM.
American Galant has 2.4 SOHC engine, and GDI is DOHC. Also, USDM Galant has different shape of exhaust manifold and cat-back section.
Hope, you'll sort you car well.
And... better to swap your GDI for V6 or VR4 in terms of performance. Better value for money.

Take care!

W4dey
20-04-2009, 07:27 PM
welcome fellow 2.4gdi :) as for tuning them if your still stuck , try the american sites, and have items brought over , alot in the usa have the engine, and have tuned them also :)

Johny
21-04-2009, 05:22 AM
welcome fellow 2.4gdi :) as for tuning them if your still stuck , try the american sites, and have items brought over , alot in the usa have the engine, and have tuned them also :)

theres arent gdi though...

I-S
21-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Johny is correct. USDM 2.4 parts are NOT applicable to the 2.4 GDI, as has been said several times in this thread.

pitslayer
22-04-2009, 01:36 AM
the 2.4 GDI is painfully slow, didnt realise how slow untill sunday with W4dey following me, and I put my foot down from 30-60mph /lol

Run the car for a year or so, then get yourself the 2.5V6 24v, see how you get on with that, then go from there, I seriously wouldnt bother spending the money on making the 2.4 fast

even if you could supercharge it, when I looked into this for my old 2.5V6 it was going to cost well over 2.5k to do and declare to insurance company, you need the supporting mods to go with it. Also the 2.5V6 isnt that tuneable compared to most cars, and the 2.4GDI is even less tuneable

at a guess to do a supercharger kit for the 2.4GDI
£1800 to get the kit and have it fitted
£500 exhaust and air filter
£100 fuel pump
£400 on brakes which are a must on everyone of these cars ever made, even the VR4 brakes on a VR4 are crap, although a good upgrade for the lesser models I believe
£700 ECU and setting up
£700 wheels and tyres
thats already around 4k, then you have to declare it to your insurance company, its not worth for under £1k you can get a decent V624v :)

Kryndon
26-12-2015, 06:35 PM
I am extremely sorry for bringing up an old thread, but it came up during my searches, and people here seem to know enough, so I figured I should ask since it's more or less relevant to the discussion.

My question is simple: Does anyone know whether the American 4G64 2.4L Crankshaft and the European/UK 4G64 2.4L GDI crankshaft are the same? I would guess so, but I'm just trying to find a straight answer. The stroke should be 100mm.

swinks
26-12-2015, 11:49 PM
As far as I know, yes. Both engines share the same block and crank. Better ask on MLR forum, these crankshafts are very popular option for Evo 2.3l stroker.