PDA

View Full Version : MAF - Where?

BraindG
15-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Does the MAF have to be directly behind the Filter? or can the filter be extended away from the MAF?

ta :thinking:

Polabear
15-04-2004, 03:33 PM
:wtf: is a MAF Barry ?, scuse the dumbness :dozey: and what are you up to...(nozey) :headsc:

Kieran
15-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Mass Airflow sensor, I think it measures the volume of air coming into the engine, so that the ECU can compute the amount of fuel required. Correct? :thinking:

Kieran
15-04-2004, 03:40 PM
In answer to Barrys question, there's a popular induction kit for US Galants that puts a mushroom type air filter behind the lower front grille, right in the airflow, but the MAF stays near the engine. As long as the air intake path is sealed correctly, so that the MAF can get an accurate reading, I don't think it matters.

Polabear
15-04-2004, 03:40 PM
Ahhhhhhh! now I understand, I new what it did but didn't know it was called that I just know it as an air metering unit.. :bow:

BraindG
15-04-2004, 03:41 PM
the Mass Air Flow Sensor aka Air Flow Meter

Polabear
15-04-2004, 03:43 PM
This kit you talk of Kieran, sounds like just what I've been looking for, do you have any PN's or names Kieran, cheers.

BraindG
15-04-2004, 03:43 PM
In answer to Barrys question, there's a popular induction kit for US Galants that puts a mushroom type air filter behind the lower front grille, right in the airflow, but the MAF stays near the engine. As long as the air intake path is sealed correctly, so that the MAF can get an accurate reading, I don't think it matters.

okido, so the question is, where to put it, in the battery space, or in the bumper :thinking:

Polabear
15-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Barry, do you find that the intake config that you have at present gives enough cold air intake ? and does the heat shield really reduce the intake of hot engine bay air ? I remember after being out for a spin with Pete in his on returning we lifted the bonnet and the heat was tremendous around there, (mind he had ben showing me just what the VR-4 can do) :-D :-D :-D

BraindG
15-04-2004, 03:52 PM
that pic is from petes car :-b (cleaner than mine)

however yes, and a big YES at that... you really notice the loss in power with all that hot air... for example on a hot day, and your ragging the car it will feel slower... on a nice winters morning, when the air is crisp and clean... boy-o-boy does it feel faster...

so, basically, im getting the filter out of the way of the engine, and into some fresh air... should be completed by weekend, just debating the best way to do it... samco pipes, or shiney pipes.... :thinking:

Polabear
15-04-2004, 03:52 PM
God how dumb was that, sorry, of course your looking to improve it, sorry guys its this damn morphine, (a little zoned out at the moment)

BraindG
15-04-2004, 03:53 PM
heheh, pass it round!

BraindG
15-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Mass Airflow sensor, I think it measures the volume of air coming into the engine, so that the ECU can compute the amount of fuel required. Correct? :thinking:

Indeed... the force is strong in this one :D

Polabear
15-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Would gladly pass it around guy's but unfortunatley a large dose of pain comes with it, never mind I'm out of here before I make an even bigger eedjit of myself, off to dream of my Legnum (when it arrives) :) :) :)

SGHOM
15-04-2004, 04:28 PM
I remember posting in another thread about going through the roof to get a good cold air feed, well, excuse the filthy engine bay, but this is the way I'm doing it.
I've cut away part of the air intake box, & I'm forming a deflector which will feed air straight to the MAF.
this, when completed, will sit tight against the vent in the bonnet, & "force" the outside air into the MAF. the vent will be protected from water ingress, by a fine mesh. the original grill vent will still be in use, & assisted by a deflector to direct the air upwards & inwards !!
The off side bonnet vent will be for show, & just to generally to cool the engine.
& before you mock about the amount it has cost me !!! "hindsight is a wonderfull thing" I could have done it a lot cheaper, but I still think it will be just as effective as relocating the battery to get a cold feed to the MAF !!

Brind
15-04-2004, 08:22 PM
I think if you want cold air you can't beat the bonnet vent option.
It's shielded from the rain as the rain will hit duct as per Dereks post and shouldn't in theory travel up to do any damage to the filter etc.

Relocating the filter elsewhere, ie behind a grill will be sucking in water, unless you direct it towards the car.

Moving the filter to the battery area wouldn't make all that difference I would have thought as there isn't many gaps to get any more cold air and especially not a rush of moving air?
It is still hot under there so the whole time you have an open filter it will still suck what it can get.
Seen how powerful it can suck? it's pretty impressive.

Lurch
15-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the plastic part that runs up to the air filter?

Mines missing :(

zedy1
15-04-2004, 10:43 PM
if you want to move the filter to the battery tray you could get dave to make you a vent system in dthe wing :-D .

i want mine t be under the front bumper

SGHOM
15-04-2004, 10:46 PM
i want mine t be under the front bumper go through the bonnet Mo !!! It's the best, quickest, & easiest way. :-D :-D

Lurch
15-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Does anyone have the part number for the plastic part that runs up to the air filter?

LOL... what about the cars that have a hole cut in the bumper with the filter sticking out of it?

Have seen a couple of those...

Brind
15-04-2004, 11:17 PM

I asked about this when I first got the car, they wanted £60 excluding VAT at 17.5%. :-D
Needless to say I didn't bother.

I've got a shield, and a pipe coming from the front bumper which works very well, on the move anyway.
I have a temperature sensor in my inlet and it proves it is working, just hopeless when stationary.

Lurch
15-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Might have to do something similar.. £60 excluding VAT at 17.5%? that's alot of NZD :(

Time for some PVC hosing and some duct tape I guess.. just kidding ;)