PDA

View Full Version : cambelt service

nick-f1
15-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys, my Legnum is in for cambelt today- good news is the waterpumps fine but bad news is tensioner and top idler have a fair bit of play. So it looks like costs will double;- tensioner £85, Idler- £34 plus an extra £25 labour. Fingers crossed I get it back some time tomorrow, dont want to go to Newquay in the old vauxhall they lent me or even worse the wife's nissan this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Nick :(

BraindG
15-04-2004, 06:27 PM
wonder why they getting a new tensioner...
you dotn actually need to get a new one on ours, just push it back in, and put the pin in again...

VBJ's bought a new one for me, thinking thats what they had to do, but infact all thats needed is to push the tensioner back in, and ones ready release the pin...

was it broken?

nick-f1
15-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Hi, I assume so-they seem to know what they are talking about. They rang about midday and said the tensioner was knackered and needed replacing and the top idler had a bit of play and did i want the to change that as well. So I said yes, they had tensioner in stock but had to get an idler. Will ring and check in the morning. If its anything like the one on my volvo marine engine -they have a roller bearing that wears and you have to replace the whole thing. That was £75 from keypart ( could have got a QH for half that but they're a bit iffy). So we shall see.

Nick

nick-f1
16-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Bummer!!!!!! Bl***y Mitsubishi sent out the wrong part, so shan't get car back until monday. Clarification on braindg's comment on tensioner, do not actually need whole tensioner but roller idler wheel that fits onto it, but bl***y Misubishi sent out the wrong bit anyway! So now have to go to newquay in their old clunker!! :furious3: :gun1: :gun3: mitsi parts dept

Nick :(

BraindG
16-04-2004, 02:03 PM
bleh, typical... ach well should be sorted soon though

zedy1
17-04-2004, 11:06 PM
ive booked mine in for next week. a local garage who works on mitsubushi (dont think he's one the 8g vr4 before) got quoted around £150.00 plus vat for labour.

nick-f1
19-04-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi Zedy1 thats good , 10 quid cheaper than mine @ £161+ vat.
Fingers crossed i get it back today...........................

Nick

nick-f1
20-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey folks, got her back today! total cost £360 inc vat. Original quote for labour £160 + extra £25 for fitting top idler and tensioner roller + parts& vat. So not too bad I suppose, felt better when I got to the garage and they were stripping down a Nissan 300sx-- why? owner too tight to do cambelt and paid the price! I don't want to revel in someone elses misfortune but it certainly brings home to you, better 360 quid for cambelt than £2000 plus for engine rebuild! :thinking:

cheers
Nick