PDA

View Full Version : Rear joints

pitslayer
14-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Anyone know which rear joints are common to go, got in car today and my rear wheel is creaking, is there a common one to go, are the lower arms prone to it like the front?

Ryan
15-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Sure you haven't left the hand brake on? :p

Subaru ETA
15-04-2009, 06:53 AM
probably your turbos.....

TAR
15-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Does it make a noise if you push up and down on the rear quarter of the car?

:happy:

pitslayer
15-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Makes no noise if you do that, its only when drivng, I know the exhaust is rattling, but this is a different noise to that, sounds actually on the wheel itself

colVR4
15-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Lower balljoints. These are in need of replacement on my car some time soon as well I think, they are creaking a bit.

Kieran
15-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Lower balljoints. These are in need of replacement on my car some time soon as well I think, they are creaking a bit.

Mmmm, I'm not so sure that'd be the case at the back col; the rear balljoints don't take the brunt of the load as do the fronts so I doubt they'd creak in the same way.

TAR
16-04-2009, 01:07 PM
next questions:

does it make the noise over bumps?

does it make the noise on a flat surface?

does it make the noise only when cornering?

does it make the noise only when cornering in one direction?

pitslayer
16-04-2009, 02:38 PM
next questions:

does it make the noise over bumps?

does it make the noise on a flat surface?

does it make the noise only when cornering?

does it make the noise only when cornering in one direction?

Yes.

bradc
17-04-2009, 06:22 AM
turbo's then?

hi flyer
17-04-2009, 06:58 AM
i know of 2 vr4 legnums that have had the rear lower arms replaced. Seems to be a smililar issue to the front lower arms. so yes that "could" be your problem.
Failing that its your turbos! :P

colVR4
17-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Mine only creak when going over speed bumps, not all the time. I had a look around the back and did a bit of pulling and prodding....even used the search function that seems to have appeared on this site and it seems that the cause is usually the turbos...sorry, lower lateral arms.

pitslayer
17-04-2009, 02:28 PM
probably your turbos.....

turbo's then?

Failing that its your turbos! :P

seems that the cause is usually the turbos...

See this is what is making that joke unfunny, use it in moderation /pan /pan /pan /pan /pan

Is it possible for handbrake shoes to creak, I know it sounds really foooking silly, but I have noticed a wierd clunk when reversing just after taking the handbrake off, IE handbrake off, foot on brake, reverse...clunk.

Is it possible that the handbrake shoes maybe a bit to low not gripping properly or in this case hitting the drum (clunking) then rubbing on the inside of the drum

Had the wheel off yesterday and had a decent poke around under that side, could see any worn or split bushes, well mainly looking for splits as a worn bush is quite hard to diagnose just by looking at it, gave it all a tug and a push with nowt happening

Kieran
17-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Brake shoes can drag but normally only when they've not been used. Put it this way. The drums on my Galant Coupe clunked a couple of times before they were rebuilt but then they're older than me! ;)

I wonder.... Check your diff mountings and the rear driveshafs, and maybe also the propshaft.... Maybe you've got a sloppy mount or one of the bearings is starting to clunk.

If it's not that, then maybe check your turbos. :d And before you start, that is in moderation. I've only suggested you do that once in this post wot I wrote! /Devil5

pitslayer
17-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Brake shoes can drag but normally only when they've not been used. Put it this way. The drums on my Galant Coupe clunked a couple of times before they were rebuilt but then they're older than me! ;)

I wonder.... Check your diff mountings and the rear driveshafs, and maybe also the propshaft.... Maybe you've got a sloppy mount or one of the bearings is starting to clunk.

If it's not that, then maybe check your turbos. :d And before you start, that is in moderation. I've only suggested you do that once in this post wot I wrote! /Devil5

/bat /bat /bat /bat:inquisiti :inquisiti

Hmmm will check them, I couldnt see anything untoward yesterday, although last year when trying to figure out another noise from the back that rear drive shaft did have a bit of forwards and back play in it, not in and out play. Although I would assume there would be some form of play in the drive shafts anyways.

Will check the rear diff mountings, as I am getting a lurching like a mount has gone somewhere

pitslayer
29-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Creaking has now stopped, dont know if thats a good or bad thing, but I am getting excessive wear on the rear passenger tyre outside tread, and the AYC is back to being a pita going around right hand bends, even with tcl off, it trys to hold the accelerator pedal back so you cant floor it

Nick Mann
29-04-2009, 12:42 PM
The AYC has no control over the throttle? I believe the ASC does though.

Regular AYC action on right handers (Inc roundabouts!) will tend to wear the outer edge of the rear tyre......

Turbo_Steve
29-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Is it possible for handbrake shoes to creak, I know it sounds really foooking silly, but I have noticed a wierd clunk when reversing just after taking the handbrake off,
Ohh ohh Me too! My brakes creak like a bugger when I manuver the car into the garage (or out of it). That's the only time they make that noise.

pitslayer
29-04-2009, 03:06 PM
The AYC has no control over the throttle? I believe the ASC does though.

Regular AYC action on right handers (Inc roundabouts!) will tend to wear the outer edge of the rear tyre......
The problem I am getting is, you go around the corner, start to accelerate out and the throttle pedal physically pushes itself back up and trys to hold your foot throttle position where it likes

miller
29-04-2009, 03:29 PM
The problem I am getting is, you go around the corner, start to accelerate out and the throttle pedal physically pushes itself back up and trys to hold your foot throttle position where it likes

Move your seat closer to the steering wheel. :speechles :scholar:

pitslayer
29-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Move your seat closer to the steering wheel. :speechles :scholar:
My arms are to long to go anymore forward /pan /lol

Also by excessive wear, the outer lines on my F1s were about 2mm deep when I put them on, they are now almost bald

Nick Mann
29-04-2009, 05:09 PM

That makes no sense at all. The throttle pedal connects to the throttle body by a bowden cable. These cables only tend to work under tension. As it is flexible, it is quite difficult to "push back" along it, even without the several inches of unsheathed cable under the strut brace.

Is the effect from the ASC playing with a vacuum somewhere so that the resistance on the pedal changes slightly? That makes more sense than the pedal pushing your foot back up.

pitslayer
30-04-2009, 12:35 AM
You go round the bend start to boot it, the pedal goes down, then lifts back up about half inch whilst your trying to accelerate out.

Its like the TCL kicking in, buts it not, as you dont have to back off the pedal to go again, and the TCL light doesnt come on, and does it with it switched off.

All I can gather at the moment is that the rear left wheel is trying to keep going in a straight line, with the AYC on, but that doesnt explain the pedal melarky

miller
30-04-2009, 02:00 PM
:inquisiti hang on hang on so in your opinion your rear left wheel normally turns with the AYC on?!?! very confusing:inquisiti :inquisiti

pitslayer
30-04-2009, 03:23 PM
:inquisiti hang on hang on so in your opinion your rear left wheel normally turns with the AYC on?!?! very confusing:inquisiti :inquisiti
I should elaborate more, the rear right wheel does what its supposed to and you can really feel the ayc working.
Rear left wheel, starts to work, then the throttle pedal lifts itself, then the rear end dips as if you were tripoding a hot hatch, but instead of the wheel wanting to follow the car, it feels like it wants to go 30 degrees left and straight that way

Hmmm perhaps at Japfest I should let someone take my car down the road to see what I mean