PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Knock

rhino1401
16-04-2009, 08:30 AM
2001 Galant 2.0 GLX SE.

I have a serious knock coming from the NSF suspension. Particularly over uneven surfaces. The steering wheel is about 5/10 degrees away from dead centre when the wheels are straight and there is steering wheel vibration at 50/60 mph. Also the outer edge of the tyre has slight wear.

Could it be the track rod end and if so can I do it myself with no mechanical experience? Where would I get one from?

I am in Gloucester - Could anyone recommend a decent garage if it needs to go in.

Thanks
Andy

Ryan
16-04-2009, 10:08 AM
If the outer edge of the tyre has wear is it not overinflated perhaps?

I would also check your CV joints, wheel bearing and when last did you replace the shock absorbers?

Jerry Shaw
16-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I have the same problem but I can't determine if its both sides or just the drivers side.

I'd be interested to see any suggestions on this.

Kieran
16-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Well that your tyre is wearing out on the shoulder is no surprise with if your tracking is that far out.

Candidates to check:

Track Rod ends / Rack Ends
CV Joints/Boots
Lower Arm Balljoints
Bent/misaligned suspension parts

Changing a track rod end isn't hard (there is a how-to in the articles section) but I'd check first. I've not really heard of a knackered track rod/rack end causing a knock.

elnevio
16-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Hey Andy!

There's a registered user on here by the name of Lazarus79, and he's the manager at Ebley Tyres just off Eastern Avenue by McDonald's. He's got a white Legnum VR-4 and I managed to meet him at Ebley before Crimbo last year.

He doesn't get on the forums now, but he seems a sound guy, and when I've dealt with Ebley in the past, be it Gloucester or Cinderford, I've had good service with no probs. I would have thought they'd be able to hoik it up on a ramp and have a looksee for you? Or your local garage should be able to diagnose it fairly easily too. Better than guessing! Either way - good luck! :thumbsup:

rhino1401
16-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I have managed to get a local mechanic to have a look and he can find no play in or loose suspension parts all round.
He did say there was a faint bearing whine but would a failing bearing create a quite heavy knock?

If the shocks were to blame would there be signs on the shock itself? The top mount is secure.
He is having it back again tomorrow so I may suggest looking at the spring seating and the shock performance itself.

Thanks for the replys.

Jerry Shaw
16-04-2009, 10:47 PM
I asked the guy at my last MOT (Sept) to check all suspension bits for me and he couldnt find any obvious wear. It has been suggested to me since that the anti roll bar links may be buggered. Would that cause these symptoms? On a good road theres nothing, but get it on a bit of rough and its quite loud and can be felt through the pedals.

rhino1401
17-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Had it up on the ramps again today and whilst rocking the wheel on full lock there is definate movement and clunking from the ball joint (wheel end)of the compression lower arm assembly.
So that is my bet.

Where can I get one from - relatively cheap?

Thanks

Kieran
17-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Hmmmm.... I'm loate to suggest a 'cheap' replacement. Reason why is because we've had a number of stories of non-Mitsubishi arms failing long before they should - And when they fail your wheel tends to 'tuck in' - I'm sure you can imagine what would happen if that occoured at speed!

Now you're aware of the potential risk - Most motorfactors can get hold of them as Blueprint do them now I think. You can also try camskill.

rhino1401
17-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Ah yes. What price safety.

Many thanks

rhino1401
24-04-2009, 08:11 AM
All done.
It was the lower compression arm. The old ball joint had massive play which was causing the knocking.

Kieran
24-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Glad to hear that it's fixed! :afro: