PDA

View Full Version : Vr-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon
04-06-2003, 06:53 PM
Who knows for sure what VR4 stands for? Ive been checking the web and all agree that the 4 is for the four wheel drive but lots of people have lots of ideas over the VR bit!:Ponder: What do you guys and gals think......or know?:shrug: We all keep saying VR4 but im waiting for some smarty pants to one day ask me! Over to you.:bow:

Brind
04-06-2003, 07:30 PM
I don't think it means all that much? since in Japan they have a VR-G which is pretty much a normal Galant with front wheel drive etc.
The GTO INSERT INTO post VALUES (3000GT) is also considered a VR-4, the 4 again meaning four wheel drive.
The GTO also has active steering, twin turbos etc which would suggest they are named VR for the same reason a Galant VR is named a VR, but that doesn't explain the VR-G. :)

MTB
04-06-2003, 07:35 PM
at first i thought vr-g is a vr with a gdi engine, vr-m with a mivec engine and vr-4 with 4wd system. but then there is also viento, st and st-r so eventually i got them all mixed up! :D

BraindG
04-06-2003, 08:12 PM
i know this one, i do honest.. crap.. let me think...
the 4 part used to imply the combination of 4WD, 4WS, 4-valve per cylinder and intercoolered turbocharger. i think..

the vr part is a couple fancy words used by the japanses guys.. buggered if i can remember what it was though.. but i have it somewhere..

ill look around..

-LegnumVR4-
04-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Maybe because VR-4 looks good?:)

Brind
04-06-2003, 10:45 PM
VR-4

I agree!:)

Spirit
04-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Bet it's something simple, but yeah VR-4 just looks cool !

BraindG
04-06-2003, 11:39 PM
it could be
4wd
4ws
4 wheel independent suspension
4-valve per cylinder

all the 4's

aaron68nz
05-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Partly the name has become tradition I think for this type of Galant since the first VR4 in 1987. In the Galant range when this first VR4 was born the R was for turbo as there was a VX4 for example which was like the VR4 but minus the turbo. Mitsubishi refered to the car as "dynamic 4" as it had 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel drive, and I think 4 channel ABS.

Simon
05-06-2003, 03:54 PM
I wish i hadn't asked now!:)

Simon
05-06-2003, 04:00 PM
VISCOUS REACTION.....or....VARIABLE RESPONSE.....
but like you say .....it LOOKS cool:cool1:

Nick VR4
05-06-2003, 05:06 PM
Got it
VR=Very Rapid
4=4WD

:wavey: :hurrah: :wiggle:

BraindG
05-06-2003, 05:30 PM
thats the one nick :D

:hurrah:

Ultra VR-4
05-06-2003, 11:46 PM
no no everybody....

the VR in VR-4 doesnt stand for anything...

Its short for:

VRooooooooooooooooooommmmm,
VRooooooooooooooooooommmmm Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh

Simon
06-06-2003, 05:55 PM
I'd like the FQ badge on the car....like the new Evo! F******* QUICK!....we wouldn't be lieing!:devil2:

Brind
06-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Are we anything near the EVO in performance? I'm talking about top end grunt.
We have the same power but we are !much! heavier, just wondered if our size engine and the fact we have two turbos would be of benefit?
Especially an Empreza, where do we stand? anyone tried?

aaron68nz
08-06-2003, 12:29 PM
As I've seen someone else comment I'd like to stress that the VR4 is a car you buy when you want to compromise raw performance for comfort, style, ease and size. I also own an Evo and enjoy both cars for their individual benefits. My VR4 is an auto so it also lacks that sharp sudden and sure transfer of power of the manual drive train in the Evo. The handling of the VR4 is less lacking although being a bigger heavier car it is naturally more cumbersome. As far as I've read a twin turbo set up, especially with small relatively ineffeciant turbos, is not conducive for big power and significant modifications.

Spirit
08-06-2003, 12:35 PM
As you say aaron, we bought our VR4 because it can be used as a family saloon when required and a great fun car at weekends :D

aaron68nz
08-06-2003, 12:46 PM
Exactly! Essentially I use the VR4 for work/daily driver. I sell real estate so taking out people in the Evo to make the biggest purchase of their life is not fitting. The Evo is very loud, rough and uncomfortable and makes me feel like an aggressive fighter pilot. The VR4 is relaxing and dignified but still has enough performance to make driving enjoyable and safe. This winter when I go to the snow I'll be taking my VR4 as with AYC and traction control INSERT INTO post VALUES (oh and air bags!) I'm sure it'll be the safest bet. I own a III so no air bags or AYC.

chris g
08-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Taking lead from others;

VR-4 =
V - V6
R - turbo
4 - 4WD

maybe

Yeah its our weight that gives Evo and to lesser extent the Impreza all the advantages

Twin turbos as I understand reduce turbo lag - better for acceleration

and

One big turbo better for higher power/high cruising speed

aaron68nz
09-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Smaller turbos give higher exhaust gas temperatures and hence less efficiancy than bigger turbos as max. boost levels are increased. There is really negligeable lag on the Evos though even with their single and bigger turbo. The twin turbos smooth out the power/torque delivery in keeping with the more civilised nature of the VR4 compared with say an Evo.

LOMY
28-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Chris g's suggestion looks the most promising but isn't the R for 'Racing' . I thought Mitsu used to race Gallants at one time in the dim and distant and the turbo engine was developed during this period. The car may have been put into production initially for homologation purposes.

LOMY
28-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Chris g's suggestion looks the most promising but isn't the R for 'Racing' . I thought Mitsu used to race Gallants at one time in the dim and distant and the turbo engine was developed during this period. The car may have been put into production initially for homologation purposes.

LOMY
28-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Whoops :D

Ailsa
03-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Excuse my blondeness - but what does homologation mean????:Ponder: :headsc: :shrug:

BraindG
03-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=homologation)

2 entries found for homologation.
ho·mol·o·gate INSERT INTO post VALUES ( P ) Pronunciation Key INSERT INTO post VALUES (h-ml-gt, h-)
tr.v. ho·mol·o·gat·ed, ho·mol·o·gat·ing, ho·mol·o·gates
To approve, especially to confirm officially.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Medieval Latin homologre, homologt-, from Greek homologein, to agree, from homologos, agreeing. See homologous.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ho·molo·gation n.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
[Buy it]

homologation

\Ho*mol`o*ga"tion\, n. [Cf. F. homologation.] INSERT INTO post VALUES (Civ. & Scots Law) Confirmation or ratification INSERT INTO post VALUES (as of something otherwise null and void); by a court or a grantor.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

calum
03-07-2003, 07:17 PM
http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/Homologation.html

Calum

Ailsa
03-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Excellent!:cool1:

Thankyou!

ITMATT
18-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Virtual reality INSERT INTO post VALUES (wow can’t believe I got one)
Virtual rally INSERT INTO post VALUES (good for stone chips)
Vanessa Redgrave INSERT INTO post VALUES (born 1937…god I’m old)

The real VR meaning.

Very Rice INSERT INTO post VALUES (Japanese not good with there N’s)

There’s more but I won’t go on!

Japmetal
20-08-2003, 10:32 PM
OK, I know a bit about this, but you'll have to excuse my rambling style !

So far as I know, there's no actual meaning to the 'VR' of VR4 [altho I'm sure someone back in 1989 had something in mind when they came up with it for the original E39A VR4] but it's derived from the way the car was built;

4 Doors [remember the originals were ALL saloons !]
4 Seats
4WD
4WS
4-Cylinder Engine
4 Valves per Cylinder
4-Wheel ABS [pretty nifty stuff back in the day]

You gotta agree, that's ALOT of 4s !! [I'm sure I've missed some, but you get the idea]

In 1989 Mitsubishi released the Galant VR4 as it's blue-eyed boy of the rally circuits; released partway thru the season, it cleaned up in every race it entered in the latter part of the year, and the next year cleaned up totally to come top overall in it's class

In 1989 the original VR4 was also the very first time Mitsubishi unveiled a car fitted with the trusty 4G63T, Inline 4-cylinder, single turbocharged, double-overhead cam, 16-valve engine, producing the [then impressive] figure of 220Bhp. They also continued to use the same engine on the lighter, shorter wheelbase Lancer platform when the Galant was retired from rallying in 1993 & the very first of that old favourite EVOLUTION series was born. The very same engine still powers Mitsubishi's rally efforts today, altho with some tweaks [up to a maximum of 310Bhp in factory trim options]& fitted the opposite way around since Evo IV.

Maybe a bit of anorak showing there, but I always think it's nice to know where your car came from :)

PS; to give u guys some idea, mine is pretty much the same trim as an original VR4 [down to the same bodykit] but with a non-turbo 150Bhp 4G63.