PDA

View Full Version : Amplifier cable through firewall

confusis
19-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I have a 1996 Legnum ST-R that I wish to install a subwoofer in. I have looked for ages for an easyish route through the firewall for 4gauge power cable. Currently I have it wired (albeit dodgily) over the wheel arch, but I don't like it this way.

Where have you guys run your cables?

orionn2o
19-04-2009, 11:32 PM
If you get down behind the pedals and look upwards, there's a flat area in a circular shape as far as a I remember. I drilled a hole there

Confused
19-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I've just run one today! ;)

From the battery, over to the back of the engine bay to the right hand corner, through a gromit into the wheelarch (behind the plastic tray). Then, into the car through the rubber gromit that comes out behind the heater blower.

This can then go down, along the sill of the car and into the boot :)

Garry

confusis
20-04-2009, 12:02 AM
thanks for your help :) will have a look when it isn't raining

CANDEE
20-04-2009, 02:23 AM
There is an even better one just by the battery that goes into the wheelarch and follows through from there...

As per the yellow arrow in the attached pic. :)

HMG1K
20-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Had the same hassle and sorted it!

Look here, post #58 from Zaid.

His first photo you'll see a tiny red dot which is the cable going through the firewall, on the driver's side (UK driver's side), which there is a hole with gromit already with a cable. I put a nice fat cable through this hole, and fed the cable for my amp from the driver's side to under the front passenger seat (UK passenger side seat).

Works a treat!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29063&page=3&highlight=firewall

wantavr4
20-04-2009, 10:59 PM
I drilled a hole through the fire wall just above the surround for the steering slightly to the left. no problems or water leaking, Found it hard to find a sutible gromit but it did the job for me.

Fully
21-04-2009, 08:57 AM
I used a wire coat hanger, strightened it out. Then taped my cable on to it, and pushed it down to the floor on the left side of the large grommet under the wiper motor. It pays to lift your carpet back on the passenger side first.

Very easy way to get a cable(s) into your cabin.

Munta
22-04-2009, 07:03 PM
as posted by candee the best place to feed amp cable is thru gromit nxt to battery into wheel arch behind plastic. very very easy this way
wish i knew this when i did mine a couple years ago. but have done a vr4 since and used this path was done in 10 mins

confusis
22-04-2009, 09:36 PM
i currently have it through the wheel arch (did the same in a certain ae101 levin) but unsure on the route from arch to interior.. i have it (dodgily) through the hole where the door cables go through.. have I missed a better route?

Munta
25-04-2009, 07:49 PM
should come out by left bottom kick panel where factory cable comes in2 cabin... just use alot of cable ties and its there for good

confusis
26-04-2009, 09:13 AM
i will have a better look tommorow if it isn't raining (no garage). upgrading to 4gauge wiring so have to re-run the whole thing again anyways (8gauge is not sufficient for 900w!)