PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Plastic Engine Cover

HPRULZ
19-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Ok Don't All laugh :laugh: but having just been under the bonnet of my newly purchased VR4 I found that the plastic engine cover (dont know its proper term yet:undecided but its the one that has twin turbo intercooler written on it) is in about 6 seperate pieces so if anybody has one they want to sell me or can point me in the direction of someone who has I would be very happy :happy: TY

aboo
19-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi going by other threads & posts most are broke as is mine after fitting gauge & mbc.

My question is saw some metal covers on fleebay wandered if they fit our cars?

Oh welcome to the club.

eyeballprawn
20-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Rather than saying 'twin turbo' etc it would have been more useful to have stamped in bloody great big letters 'Don't lean on this cover!'. Perhaps not as pretty though.

pitslayer
20-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Good luck finding one in good condition, they are usually gone instantly and iirc someone said they are £300+ from mitsi

alendil
20-04-2009, 03:12 PM
and whats avarage price of secend hand one with some cracks

peter thomson
20-04-2009, 03:27 PM
A new one is around £150 delivered to the uk from here

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=4&car=71&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=

Ghost_2008
20-04-2009, 05:44 PM
There are some Crome engine/plug covers on ebay from the GTO twin turbo jobbie.......... which share the same engine (I think?) so should fit, they come either engraved with GTO and twin turbo or blank, one covers the plugs and the other bridges the gap from the header to the intake manifold...... they look cool and cost about £30 each (I think)....... a good replacement I think for the plastic ones that come broken as standard!!!!!! I did hear speak of someone on here producing carbon fiber versions..... so patients may pay off

alendil
20-04-2009, 06:30 PM
and hiere in uk from someone who is braking legnums how much awarage

Louis
20-04-2009, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Ghost_2008]There are some Crome engine/plug covers on ebay from the GTO twin turbo jobbie.......... which share the same engine (I think?) so should fit,]

I looked at these, but the engine is the other way around and the fitting points are different

HPRULZ
25-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Thanks peter I have a brand new one on the way using the link you posted thankyou

kinkyafro
25-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Good luck finding one in good condition, they are usually gone instantly and iirc someone said they are £300+ from mitsi

I got quoted £166 by Mitsi about a month ago

Spirit
25-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I got quoted £166 by Mitsi about a month ago

They used to be about £280 :speechles

elnevio
25-04-2009, 03:29 PM
About 10 years ago, VW slashed the prices of parts for models over about 8 years old or so.

I wonder if Mitsubishi have done something similar recently?

I can envisage a few contributory factors:

more likely to get back some of the parts business
as the used value of the vehicles drops, the owners are more likely to want to use cheaper parts anyway (especially as out of warranty)
with cheaper OE parts, less cars are likely to be written off through insurance, so more business for the main dealer

Probably other things, but those are a few thoughts that spring to mind.

miller
25-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I had my car assesed by the insurance company, as he went to read the chassis number he put his clipboard on it. Bear in mind mine has a few big cracks in it already (i have a fresh one waiting to go on) I had a sharp intake of breath and said ''wooooah thats plastic dont crack it''....he looked sheepish and noted something on his clipboard.......

Whats the chances ya reckon?

elnevio
25-04-2009, 04:46 PM
I had my car assesed by the insurance company, as he went to read the chassis number he put his clipboard on it. Bear in mind mine is totally and utterly pristine without even the faintest hint of a crack I had a sharp intake of breath and said ''wooooah thats plastic dont crack it''....he looked sheepish and noted something on his clipboard.......
Well, that's what I read... :D

HPRULZ
27-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I now have my new engine cover it arrived today but be warned on top of the price charged by jap parts when it arrives in this country you get a nice letter from customs telling you that you owe the UK government another 38quid and if you dont pay it or even query it they send the part back to japan!

HMG1K
27-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Yep, had that when I bought my VR4 style lights - blasted customs!