PDA

View Full Version : Help! Self Leveling System

k-j-norton
21-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi Guys,
How the hell do i turn off the self leveling system. I've just fitted tien lowering springs and was told they're not compatable. Please can anyone help B4 i start driving her around again

peter thomson
21-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think VR4's have a self levelling system

orionn2o
21-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Who told you that the car had a self levelling system?

Your car won't have self levelling suspension, it was not fitted to VR4's and is only common on STRs and all non-VR4 estates to UK spec . Saloons don't have it either i dont think

Nick VR4
21-04-2009, 10:44 AM
According to the manual some Galants do have Self Levelling Systems but doesnt say how you can tell

Davezj
21-04-2009, 01:18 PM
yes i seem to remember reading that in the specs for the standard uk galants (estate only), when i first looked at buy a standard V6 model not the VR4. but i have never head of a VR4 with self leveling suspension at the back. but then again my hearing is not the best.

Kieran will know!

just as an aside i had it in my montego estate it was great, didn't matter how much crap i put in the back, drive it for a few hundred meter and the suspension would crank it'self back up again.

elnevio
21-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Think you're right on two counts there Dave - it was only an option on UK estates (poss European generally?), and that Kieran will know! :)

Davezj
21-04-2009, 01:23 PM
It all goes quiet while we wait for the Orical to speek!

orionn2o
21-04-2009, 01:32 PM
of course another way to tell if you've got it, is to put a washing machine in your boot!

Davezj
21-04-2009, 01:41 PM
very true, i put paving slabs and a 50kg set of weights in the boot when i first got the montego. arse end was low, drove it round the block and it was back to normal.

this was the user manual way to check if it was working. measure normal clearance of wheel to wheel arch. put big weight in boot. see it's back sag down, drive it and then recheck clearance.

i don't know how it works but it is the shocks that do the leveling. they where £300ish each to replace if something went wrong and most owner optid for stamdard shocks to replace the self leveling units, as they were a direct swap out. i don't know for definate but i imagine the VR4 is the same. swap standard for self leveling and vice versa.

miller
21-04-2009, 01:51 PM
VR4 doesnt have it! I ferried 10 bags of 20mm pebbles this weekend gone, trust me i was staring at the sky not the road!

Mike

Atik
21-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Yup, it was a UK spec thing as my old GLS had it. I loaded up 10 bags of cement and sand (20kg each) and the suspension settled and was fine when I got home.

Loaded 3 bags of fertiliser (30kg) in the Leggie and was definitely pointing in the air Concorde-style!

Roberto
21-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Obvious question:

Are you sure you have a Legnum VR4?

Or have you got something ultra rare?

elnevio
21-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Obvious question:

Are you sure you have a Legnum VR4?

Or have you got something ultra rare?
Maybe the Ralliart adjustable suspension is installed? Although I would have thought that the lowering springs would still fit. Definitely don't quote me on that.

Or even has an after-market (or even V6) self-levelling system retrofitted?

Pics may help a diagnosis! :thumbsup:

Kieran
21-04-2009, 05:34 PM
As has already been said, if it's a VR4, it doesn't have Self-levelling suspension, unless it's been retrofitted.

If you *do* have self-levelling shocks, then you can't turn them off. They're hydraulic levelling only, not electronically controlled. I think they're similar in design to Boge's 'Nivomat' shocks, in that they're self-contained.

But I very much doubt you'll have them fitted.

miller
21-04-2009, 05:35 PM
The End.

elnevio
21-04-2009, 05:36 PM
All hail King K! /notworthy

Kieran
21-04-2009, 05:48 PM
The Trash Heap has spoken! :D

Davezj
21-04-2009, 09:39 PM
fraggle rock

Rocks!!!

GalantOnly
21-04-2009, 10:17 PM
If you're not sure if you've got selv levelling or not... Look at the rear shocks... If they're even thinner than the front ones, they're definately NOT selv levelled. If they're much thicker (4 inches in diameter or something) - you're lucky one who got them retrofitted. But you can't turn them off, as Kieran already said...

k-j-norton
22-04-2009, 10:57 AM
thanks for the info guys Putting springs on today. Prob not got self leveling i was told it had by previous owner thought i better check with you guys first.

VR4WGN
22-04-2009, 11:16 AM
hey guys um thort id just mention,that my 1st legnum Viento Facelift had Self Levelling and the easiest way to tell if you have it is,the rear struts are fatter than standard KYb,whilst theyr still KYB theyr just fatter,otherwise if you wish to remove them wich ill reccomend for a better handling ability,they can be replaced with the vr4 struts ,all are interchangeable,but yea,hope this may be of some help,seems most 2WD Facelift Viento's come out with them and have the Leather interior,touch screen and chrome extras etc..

k-j-norton
23-04-2009, 11:30 AM
You were right no self leveling
:thinking:

pezza
01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Just to follow on from this thread then with a quick question... does anyone know if the rear springs on self levelled and non-self levelled estate the same physical dimensions, but just with different spring rates?

Cheers

GalantOnly
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Just to follow on from this thread then with a quick question... does anyone know if the rear springs on self levelled and non-self levelled estate the same physical dimensions, but just with different spring rates?

Cheers

No, self leveled springs are as wide on top as on the bottom. Non leveled is much smaller on the bottom... So - not the same at all

pezza
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the explanation....

Cheers