PDA

View Full Version : AYC Pump rebuilding

Dom B
23-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Well i have done my searching homework and found a few people with leaky ayc pumps but nobody with a solution. Has anyone successfully rebuilt an ayc pump. I would think they normally just leak due to aged seals as opposed to pump internals otherwise there would be lots of noises etc.

Kieran
23-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Might be worth a PM to RogerRally. He runs Turnaround 360 and will probably know what the chances of an AYC rebuild are.

MPBVr4
23-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Yep, confirmed Roger Rally can do it he's got test rigs to test them and everyfink. see http://www.turnaround360.com/ difficult to get hold of, best try his mobile.

chris g
23-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Have spoken to NR Autosport about this and it seems a futile gesture...

And having spoken to a few others about this problem, 'refurbished' is questionable also...

Start saving for a new AYC pump...!

Dom B
23-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Surely it's just a hydraulic pump of a certain pressure and flow capacity. With the original control gear and valve body housings to get all the reynolds numbers somewhere near, maybe, just maybe a pump could be made up from stock hydraulic parts that are endlessly replaceable at much lower cost.

Am i just talking crap lol

Just an idea lol

Wodjno
23-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I have 4 used pumps available if anyone needs 1. And will warrant them for 1 year /yes

Cheers

Wodj

elnevio
23-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Wodj - you are good! :iloveyou:

And I've moved this into a more appropriate forum. :thumbsup:

MPBVr4
23-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Surely it's just a hydraulic pump of a certain pressure and flow capacity. With the original control gear and valve body housings to get all the reynolds numbers somewhere near, maybe, just maybe a pump could be made up from stock hydraulic parts that are endlessly replaceable at much lower cost.

Am i just talking crap lol

Just an idea lol

I've thought the same thing as well. Just the logistics of packaging such a thing. Also having spoken at length with RR he indicated that it's not just the pump wearing but also the motor gets "tired" So some electrical issues as well.

Dom B
23-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Hmm well i am sure some engineering can be sorted, depends on how desperate people get. I called turnaround360 earlier and the guy was really helpful but even he said that when they have had it thats it, you can swap parts about to get a bit of life out of them but otherwise they just replace them.

WODJNO how much are you selling the pumps for? I have no idea whats up with mine yet until i take it out of the car. It works great and is silent it just pees on the floor very slowly.

I might be brave and have a look inside!!!!

RogerRally
15-06-2009, 11:21 AM
The biggest problem Ive found in running older pumps that they can no longer put out the pressure they used to when new, andis ththis cancause heat in the rear diff, As the traction plates do not have enough pressure to Lock the high speed and low speed gears to the right hand output shaft/wheel effectivly.
( a bit like running low on ATF fluid in the autobox, wont change gear effectivly)
A new pump will run up to 16 bar, and then as the fluid is used, the pump cuts back in when it drops down to about 11 bar.
Most 10 year old UK pumps have corrosion between the ally case, and the steel pump parts inside, thus the pump can't operate enough pressure to turn the preset black/ green pressure switch on or off, or operate the rear diff correctly.
Malcoms just supplied me a hydraulic guage, so i can now undestand the workings of the pumps better.