PDA

View Full Version : Puncture problem?

wirdy
18-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Whilst researching a brake caliper upgrade I've noted from the EVO forums that they have to live with the inconvenience of changing two wheels if they ever have a front puncture.

This is due to the space saver not being able to clear the front calipers :huh:
so if you get a front puncture you need to put the space saver onto the rear and then put the original rear onto the front.

For those with larger-than-standard front calipers, has anyone tried their VR4 space saver to see if it's the same situation??

Alternatively do you just carry some of that (tyre fitters favourite stuff!) puncture foam?

Is everyone aware of this?

Brind
18-04-2004, 10:01 PM
H7 uses the puncture foam or whatever, he said that somewhere the other day.

wirdy
18-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Must have missed it , he must be aware then. :)

Brind
18-04-2004, 10:55 PM
He said it in this thread (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=32678#post32678)

wirdy
18-04-2004, 11:35 PM
/books opticians appointment :$

Roadrunner
19-04-2004, 12:23 AM
LOL :wow: :D

Brind
19-04-2004, 12:59 AM
As we're on the topic of punctures.

What is the recommendations on the stuff, what kind of speed should you do, how long should you rely on it before you must sort the problem properly etc.

To be honest I've never actually seen it let alone used it, aware of such a product that's it.

Roadrunner
19-04-2004, 08:52 AM
The foam stuff is really a "get you home/get you to the tyre place" option. AFAIK, no tyre place will repair a tyre that's been "foamed" so the tyre has to be binned :( (or turned into a nice coffee table base ;) ). When I used it on my last puncture, I removed the nail first, then connected the foam cylinder - really didn't expect so much foam to come out of the puncture hole :stunned: and it took two cans (and about 10 minutes), to seal the hole. It did work eventually, though, but if I need to do it again, I think I'd leave the nail in - the tyre will be junked anyway, and I reckon the foam would seal the puncture quicker.

Don't see any need to restrict speed as it's the tyres that dictate the maximum rated speed and you'd still be running on the proper tyres.

Brian