PDA

View Full Version : Map-ecu2

sightless
27-04-2009, 12:25 PM
I'v finally made up my ind in regards to what piggyback ECU I want.... getting it is the next step.

A few questions in reagards to the ECU2 though.

1)
The ECU2 has support for logging of wideband sensors.
Is it then required to purchase a wideband controller as well?

If I did have to get a controller I would go for the PLX on preference, but the LC-1 on price.
The LC-1 has built in logging, which is irralivant with the ECU2, but the PLX has a tasty guage options.

2)
Monitoring
Idealy I want to see/monitor boost,AFR,Oil Pressure and either oil or water temp.
One guage to rule them all.
I know PLX can do these with additional Sensor Modules to one guage ($$$ each) Is there any other options?
I could go for two 60mm guages, just placed very strategically

Edit - after typing this up - I think I have answerd my first question, been a piggy back unit the factory ECU still needs to see a narrowband signal.

Nutter_John
27-04-2009, 12:39 PM
With the MAP2 you can log all the values out to you PC using the MAP-CAL software , although unless you are doing the mapping yourslef there is not a real need for the AFR

AlanDITD
27-04-2009, 12:43 PM
With the MAP2 you can log all the values out to you PC using the MAP-CAL software , although unless you are doing the mapping yourslef there is not a real need for the AFR

Still be nice to have the wideband for monitoring, just in case anything goes wrong?

sightless
27-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Thats exactly why./toycar

Nutter_John
27-04-2009, 12:47 PM
You 'll know when it goes wrong cos the engine goes bang :P

I would recomend the DM200 as it is a top peice of kit ( and I'm selling one )

AlanDITD
27-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Shameless plug /pan

sightless
27-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Yep - things have gone wrong when it goes bang, but this well let be know befor it goes bang.

Looking at the PLX stuff... i could tick up 500$ (US i presume) on sensors, and then another $250 on the wireless OBDII adapter that connects to said sensors.
Dam Iphones and Ipod touches taking over!

Eurospec
27-04-2009, 02:12 PM
You need a wideband and controller package. You need a 0-5v output to feed the map 2. It has tables built in for innovate, plx, aem etc etc.

Personally i dont like innovate- they seem to need recalibrating all the time.

Cheers,

Ben.

peter thomson
27-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm using a zeitronix wideband and it seems to be working well

Gly
28-04-2009, 01:24 AM
im using the PLX SM-AFR with the DM-5 Gauge,
i like it.

easier to install than the Innovate Stuff.
the innovate is VERY sensitive and picky with earthing.

no re-calibration needed like the innovate stuff.

it hasnt died in the first week like the innovate did. and then a 3 month RMA to get a new one which i quickly sold!

Kelly&Ben
30-04-2009, 05:15 PM
i know this is random but how much are map2's fitted and mapped generally?

elnevio
30-04-2009, 05:32 PM
i know this is random but how much are map2's fitted and mapped generally?
I assume you mean cost, and not how often... :p

In which case, approximately £500 for the unit, and £500 for the tuning/mapping, would be prudent figures. Benh does it, so can probably enlighten this thread further - as could anyone else who's had it done?

Nick Mann
30-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Nev is in the right ball-park with those numbers. But benh is certainly the guy to talk to!

I'd suggest a few supporting mods too first - increasing fuel will help offset the fuel cut issues that pegs back all tuning on these cars and a free-flowing exhaust helps spool times and top-end flow immensely.

Eurospec
30-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Supply fit and map, £895 + vat.

That includes boost, timing and fuel control, switchable maps etc etc, Launch control for the manuals.

Like nick, i would also recomend something to help move away from the factory fuel cut- you can map around it to an extent, but there is a limit to how lean you can run through the 'cut zone', and past that you are into injectors or at least raising the line pressure.

Cheers,

Ben.

Wodjno
30-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Supply fit and map, £895 + vat.

That includes boost, timing and fuel control, switchable maps etc etc, Launch control for the manuals.

Like nick, i would also recomend something to help move away from the factory fuel cut- you can map around it to an extent, but there is a limit to how lean you can run through the 'cut zone', and past that you are into injectors or at least raising the line pressure.

Cheers,

Ben.

How does increasing injector size eliminate fuel cut ?

Wodjno
30-04-2009, 11:37 PM
How does increasing injector size eliminate fuel cut ?

Like this you Muppet /pan

You have to SAFELY reduce the air the ECU sees. This means to deliver more fuel to the engine (assuming you are shooting for the right AFR) per air count. To do this you must increase the injector size (fuel flow per air count) and then use an new ECU program or AFC to decrease the air count accordingly. Not going to get into tuning now.

Wodjno
30-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Like this you Muppet /pan

You have to SAFELY reduce the air the ECU sees. This means to deliver more fuel to the engine (assuming you are shooting for the right AFR) per air count. To do this you must increase the injector size (fuel flow per air count) and then use an new ECU program or AFC to decrease the air count accordingly. Not going to get into tuning now.

Thanx Wodj :scholar:

Mark 4
30-04-2009, 11:50 PM
You've had too much Po ta to.

Turbo_Steve
02-05-2009, 12:13 AM
and then start looking at the ignition map....LOL....

Eurospec
02-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah, it will need that anyway.

Often they will knock with just a BC in there.

The injector offset affect obviously worsens the issue.

Cheers,

Ben.

VR4WGN
06-07-2009, 02:39 AM
so guys in New Zealand where do i go for one of these?and how much? is it worht buying used or no? i dont care bout the guages etc as iv got a fibreglss console surround and will sculpt the units to fit but looking at basically getting the whole packge in 1,or add ns later maby?

Adie
06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Driven Performance sell them in NZ here is a link

http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=860