PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox working, Car sorted :D

Piers1989
01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Thank you all for your assistance. 1 of the cables in 1 of the sensors looms had come out of its connector. This was quickly fixed by the garage this morning.

So I am now happy to report I ahve a fully working car, including front/rear diff, AYC hydraulic and clutch and gearbox fluid changed.

Im sure the oil used in the transmission is not Amsoil or anything in the same league but I will have it changed at some point.

The grand total came to £394.

Ten hours labour (spread over 2 days)

And fluids.

The box changes smoothly now just as before. Its slightly more "confused" as to when to changed but I'd put that down to it being in learning mode.

peter thomson
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
:happy: great news

rees
01-05-2009, 07:00 PM
yeah thatll be learning mode alright , the said average is about 90miles but personally i think its a lot shorter than that , maybe cos i drive like a dick has something to do with it ; it wont change gear till about 4500rpm lol

Piers1989
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Im trying to teach it to rev as little as possible, then that way if i put my foot down its obvious to it I want more power.

Currently its doing 1 thing that REALLY annoys me though - it changes down into 4th at speed if your going down a very slight hill and remove foot from accelerator, making it hard to "coast" down it in 5th gear. Previously it wouldnt do this.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can teach it NOT to do that i'd be interested to hear.

Wodjno
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Im trying to teach it to rev as little as possible, then that way if i put my foot down its obvious to it I want more power.

Currently its doing 1 thing that REALLY annoys me though - it changes down into 4th at speed if your going down a very slight hill and remove foot from accelerator, making it hard to "coast" down it in 5th gear. Previously it wouldnt do this.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can teach it NOT to do that i'd be interested to hear.

Thats normal for the car to do that.. It's a safety feature.

elnevio
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
It's irrelevant whether it is in 4th or 5th when coasting down a hill without any accelerator pedal pressure. It will not be using any fuel.

Piers1989
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM
It's irrelevant whether it is in 4th or 5th when coasting down a hill without any accelerator pedal pressure. It will not be using any fuel.

I no but it does slow the car down, and to keep it at a constant speed this mean i have to apply accelerator which DOES use fuel.

I can obviously switch to 5th in tiptronic, but it was happily staying in 5th before.

elnevio
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
I can obviously switch to 5th in tiptronic
Which has answered your own question! Although it apparently doesn't do any learning whilst in tiptronic, which is a shame sometimes!

Piers1989
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Yeah i no i can do that but its an inconvenience to have to change to tiptronic and into 5th at the top of every hill (we have aLOT around here) and back into drive after each time.

It would stay in 5th on its own before.

scott.mohekey
02-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Just stay in tiptronic! :D

Wodjno
02-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Even in Tiptronic it will change down from 5th to 4th if the gradient is steep enough /yes

As i said before ... It's a built in safety feature ...

Piers1989
02-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Even in Tiptronic it will change down from 5th to 4th if the gradient is steep enough /yes

As i said before ... It's a built in safety feature ...

Im aware of this but what i meant before was going down a very negligible slope it was changing to 4th gear at ~60mph which was most annoying. just driven it around for a couple of hours and its working perfectly now :happy: