PDA

View Full Version : Auto box dismantling

Davezj
04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi all,

i have a leak from the wheel end of my gear box. not entirly sure where from. think it is the end plate seal.

what would happen if undid the bolts that hold the end plate on (with the auto box still on the car). obviosly i would have drained ATF out already. would the guts of the auto box fall out or would everything stay in place and after some clean up i would be able to use RTF sealant (diff and gear box sealant) and reseal the end plate back on.

anyone got any ideas.

By the way i have not done anything yet.

peter thomson
04-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Nothing will fall out Dave but it is a bit tight there to remove all the bolts. We did this though when we changed the solenoids and the RTV sealent was fine for resealing.

Hi all,

i have a leak from the wheel end of my gear box. not entirly sure where from. think it is the end plate seal.

what would happen if undid the bolts that hold the end plate on (with the auto box still on the car). obviosly i would have drained ATF out already. would the guts of the auto box fall out or would everything stay in place and after some clean up i would be able to use RTF sealant (diff and gear box sealant) and reseal the end plate back on.

anyone got any ideas.

By the way i have not done anything yet.

Davezj
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
That it RTV knew it did read quite right last time i used it was on my jeep diff.

just to confirm, i am talking the box end right behind the left wheel the round aluminum plate. not the front of the box the black square cover (looks like a roasting tray).

peter thomson
04-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Hmm no we haven't removed that bit so can't say what would happen with that one.

peter thomson
04-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Looking at ASA there are a few seals there which may be dislodged and a bearing as well

Davezj
04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
yes i imagined the entier guts of the box is supported by this end plate. and should only be removed with the box on the bench with the bell end (so to speak) facing down.
but i don't know this for sure!