PDA

View Full Version : Forced induction kits - are good for turbos.

swinks
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Well...
FIRST - Glen don't even try "search is y'r friend...", I know there were few threads re: air filter kits, but too much scattered and without any clear conclusion, so let me do that one :P

Ok, back to point.
Recently I'm after some improvements of air intake flow, exhaust is nearly done so time for intake.
I tried to find any reasonable way to use air inlet vent in my evo-style bonnet. Because vent isn't located exactly above battery, but above fuse box, idea with moving battery to boot and set up mushroom filter with heatshield into battery space was ruined.
I figured other way so: forced induction kit with hoover-like pipes. I've seen one on Evo, and found one here:
http://www.dcdezign.com/cheap/87573/mitsubishi/PiperCross/viper-intake-kit/vfc166.html

And now doubts...
1. Does it really work? We have already forced induction due to our turbos, so before turbos we don't really need high air flow, I assume. And what's about MAF sensor?
2. Those kits suppose to deliver cold air. Do we really need cold air sucked into system? Asking 'cos air leaving torbos is extremally hot and is cooled in intercooler, so I assume that efficient intercooler will do better that any sophisticated cold air intake.

Any suggestions, please? :iloveyou:

Wodjno
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
He He..

Battery to boot and custom made airbox is still the best way IMHO.. With sealed ducting from behind the bumper..
Mafless is on the cards also /yes
And as you say, it's not going to be forced induction as the Tubs are already sucking in air at a higher rate than any air that would be forced in.. Unless you achieved 500mph or summat stooooooopid like that..

Any reduction iin the intake air is better for performance and longevity of the engine.. If it enters cooloer then it won't be heated as high in the Turbo process, thus meaning after the Intercooler it will be cooler also.. And yes, i still think a more efficient intercooler gives plenty advantages /yes

pitslayer
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Would it just not be better to go for a decent panel filter set up and standard intake system, with a bigger intercooler and make up your own intercooler squirt kit?

Use water to cool the intercooler, which would then cool the air more? I know the proper kits are really expensive, but essentially all it is, is some washer jets, a washer bottle and motor, hooked upto a button on the dash?

Ghost_2008
05-05-2009, 02:16 PM
The colder the air the better, cold air is more dense, therefore containing more oxygen. More oxygen = more bang........... As above your turbo's are already sucking air into the intake, however changing the filter would allow the turbos to suck more air for less effort.

Then as above if you want to go the whole hog then larger intercooler and water spray, this will cool the air further again creating a bigger bang.

The best way to go (In my opinion) would be standard air box, aftermarket panel filter with an addition air feed to the box, the end of the air feed mounted in the bumper, by the fog light and into the air box before the filter.

Should be cheap, cheerful & effective..............

Wodjno
05-05-2009, 02:20 PM
And if you want to go further then Water Inj(or Methanol mix) and a Charge Cooler..
And the best coolant of all, Nitrous /yes

swinks
05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Would it just not be better to go for a decent panel filter set up and standard intake system, with a bigger intercooler and make up your own intercooler squirt kit?

Already have HKS hybrid panel, and... YES, it is noticable improvement in throttle response. /rally

Use water to cool the intercooler, which would then cool the air more? I know the proper kits are really expensive, but essentially all it is, is some washer jets, a washer bottle and motor, hooked upto a button on the dash?

Started thread due to boredom and mind excersise "what to do with air inlet vent...?" I'm not going to create any monster delivering 400+ bhp. Just little thought about possible non-hassle solutions using i.e. hoovering/cleaning accessories :pimp2:

And, yes! I'm more convinced now, to do something with intercooler so I'm leaving it for possible another thread :happy:

rees
05-05-2009, 06:17 PM
goood thead :)

pitslayer
05-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Already have HKS hybrid panel, and... YES, it is noticable improvement in throttle response. /rally

Started thread due to boredom and mind excersise "what to do with air inlet vent...?" I'm not going to create any monster delivering 400+ bhp. Just little thought about possible non-hassle solutions using i.e. hoovering/cleaning accessories :pimp2:

And, yes! I'm more convinced now, to do something with intercooler so I'm leaving it for possible another thread :happy:
Even so, it would make a fair bit of difference to a mildly tuned VR4 :)

Turbo_Steve
05-05-2009, 07:12 PM
The hoover pipes is actually quite effective. Autospeed did some testing on this a while back on a turbo'd audi, and proved that it built boost sooner, and ran cooler. If you can increase the pressure at the compressor inlet, the turbo will have less work to do and thus cooler charge will result. We're not talking massive differences here, maybe a couple of bhp, a few hundred RPM under the curve, but the more positive pressure you can get, the more efficiency you'll have. Look at it this way: if your turbo doesn't have to establish a vortex to start boosting, how much easier will it be to spin up?

I was looking at a CDA unit from BMC....RS4 fitment. Carbon fibre tube with airfilter inside, and hoover pipe to the front bumper. £240 odd quid, mind :S

Turbo_Steve
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
In a rush...but think it was this one?

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0663/article.html

Kryton
21-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know if an Evo air box will fit if I turn my battery 90 degrees. I know its not a direct fit, just need an idea of size?