PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the range on factory cobra alarm?

heaveho
06-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi, anyone know how to do this, or where to find the antenna....had a look under the bonnet at the siren and behind the centre console for the alarm ecu, but can't see an antenna to make sure it isn't curled up or badly routed.

The range is really poor, driving me mad!

By the way, is the red light in the remote meant to stay on solid red or flash as the fob button is pressed?

Cheers, Andy.

elnevio
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Sounds like battery. From the Cobra Manual:

6.1 - RADIO CONTROL BATTERY LOW
When the radio control battery becomes low, the radio control
LED will blink in an irregular way or once only instead of
remaining permanently ON until the button is released. Replace
the battery.
1. To change the battery, open the radio control as indicated
in the figure, levering in the zone marked “OPEN”.
2. Remove the battery as indicated.
3. Wait for 10 seconds.
4. Open the pack with the new battery. Only touch it on its
sides.
Insert the new battery, remembering to comply with the
polarity indications (+sign upwards, as shown in the figure).
5. Close the radio control and press button 'A' twice to check
the correct operation of the system.
Do this operation standing close to the vehicle engine
compartment.
6. Dispose the old battery in the special container

Nick VR4
06-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Most alarms now are set to be used at close range its stops chavs using equipment to scan your alarm to steal your car

heaveho
06-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Cheers for the replies....only reason I didn't consider the batteries are because the remotes are both new, and both of them have poor range.

Nick Mann
06-05-2009, 07:18 PM
The Cobra cat 1 alarm is like that deliberately. The cat 2 version of the same alarm has a range of about 50 metres!

Sorry - there is no solution that I am aware of.

heaveho
06-05-2009, 10:30 PM
The Cobra cat 1 alarm is like that deliberately. The cat 2 version of the same alarm has a range of about 50 metres!

Sorry - there is no solution that I am aware of.

It seems odd, because our previous W plate V6 had what appeared to be exactly the same standard fit cobra, and had an excellent range. Still, I'll try the batteries before thinking about it any harder, cheers.

sightless
06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
a tested and proven method from Top Gear.

Hold the remote to your forhead.

It works, not just above your head or sholder but put the remote to your forhead and click.

HMG1K
06-05-2009, 11:00 PM
I have this same low range too on my V6 - changed the battery and still the same.

I use the 'fob under the chin' - they say the body acts as an antenna extender!

Turbo_Steve
07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
It's true. You can also open the keyfob and extend the antenna, and find the incar antenna and relocate this to higher up inside the cabin, which extends the range.

elnevio
07-05-2009, 09:21 PM
It's true. You can also open the keyfob and extend the antenna, and find the incar antenna and relocate this to higher up inside the cabin, which extends the range.
That's half the answer to the first post! So, where is the in-car antenna?

Nick Mann
07-05-2009, 10:27 PM
It seems odd, because our previous W plate V6 had what appeared to be exactly the same standard fit cobra, and had an excellent range. Still, I'll try the batteries before thinking about it any harder, cheers.

I'll bet the V6 had a cat 2. The only noticeable difference is that the immobiliser doesn't cut in 30 seconds after ignition off on the cat 2. It only cuts in when the alarm is set.

HMG1K
08-05-2009, 08:20 AM
That's half the answer to the first post! So, where is the in-car antenna?

Good point!!! Where is it?!

Turbo_Steve
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Sorry...dunno...mine has an aftermarket alarm, but it's under the stereo. Can't find the blasted valet switch anywhere, though!!!

orionn2o
08-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Steve, you might wanna edit out the location of your alarm on a public forum .

You know... just in case.

Turbo_Steve
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Not really: a crap theif will tear the car apart finding it and a good one will go straight to it an disable it anyway.

Then they've got to find the tracking system (which is well hidden).

And THEN deactivate the exploding petrol tank.

g6acb
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
find the incar antenna and relocate this to higher up inside the cabin

It can't get much higher than where it is now :afro:

ritch_w
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
I'll bet the V6 had a cat 2. The only noticeable difference is that the immobiliser doesn't cut in 30 seconds after ignition off on the cat 2. It only cuts in when the alarm is set.

there is instructions to enable that in the the manual (Passive immobilisation) I havent as its a PITA having the immobiliser cut in after 30 sec

heaveho
09-05-2009, 02:13 PM
It can't get much higher than where it is now :afro:

Yeah, but where the hell is that....no-one's said yet! I've pulled the sides off the centre console and had a look at the siren, no joy so far.

e5dcb
10-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Sorry to bring topic to top but rather than start a fresh on on the subject.
Same issue here with the cobra alarm have to be right next to the car.
Yet my neighbour with a 03 reg elegance estate can do his same cobra alarm from over the road while on my door step.?
we have changed the battery in the fob but no change. :(

Just seems odd with the neighbours car with the same alarm can do better.

sonicsoundzdj
08-07-2011, 12:12 AM
if it makes you feel any better mines **** too. I have to hold down the fob for ages and touch the car for it to work. I think mine is just the battery though.

Mark 4
08-07-2011, 07:29 PM
The antenna is in the headlining right above the drivers head.