PDA

View Full Version : hi, could you help??

gurchy1
06-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi, my name is greg, i have been a member for a while now as i am a massive galant fan. i have a black galant estate, elegance, 2.5 v6, which i adore, im sure that at some point i will post some specs and piccies as it has been mod'd a bit, (not to the standard of some of these other ones though :)!!)

The reason for this post is due to an idiotic mechanic i have suffered clutch issues since he fitted a new 1 just over 8,000 miles ago. this has resulted in a F*cked clutch plate and a rather cooked flywheel.

1st, Where is the best place to get a replacement flywheel that isnt gonna bankrupt me

2nd, Is it worth going to an organic clutch, and WTF is an organic clutch??

Any help please as i am not getting very far at the moment.

Thanks

Greg

Rikki
06-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Not too sure on the clutch side, I just got Mits to replace them up until a few months ago when I got a cheapy National one. I was told at the time it was gash but so far I haven't found any problems.

As for the flywheel, Mits charge £279 I believe from when I last checked. Thats just for the part though. Unless you can find a good second hand one, I doubt very much you would save much on that price.

miller
06-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Have you checked if you can get your current flywheel skimmed rather than replacing?

Mike

Davezj
06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi and welcome.

i have a possible reason for the failing clutch!

this is a tail about my brothers car, it was a ford orion (many years ago) but he had a similar issue a replacement clutch that gradually starts slipping and then burns/overheat the flywheel which needs replacing. all happened in 5000 miles.
and wait for i drimrole please.

the twats bent the clutch release arm just enough to make the clutch start slipping, and once it starts it gets worse and worse and worse. even if you get a new clutch fitted the arm is still bent and the new clutch will get damaged again as my brother found.

i am not saying is definatly this issue but it has happened before.

get them to check the clutch release arm or if it cheap enough get a replacement and get them to fit it when you get the new clutch.

Rikki
07-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Following on from what Davezj said, if you do go down that route, the new fork (release arm) is £80 from Mits. Alternatively, if its worn and not bent, you can get a small bit of metal added to the end to give that extra length. Not an ideal solution but it works - mine currently has this.

gurchy1
07-05-2009, 10:01 PM
hey guys,
thanks for all the advice and info, i am learning, slowly but its getting there. lol!! i have to ask though, when i phoned mitsubishi here in bristol i was quoted over £400 for the flywheel, is that i definate price of £279 that was quoted there?? If so, could i have the number for your local dealer so i could speak to them. regretably i do not have a very good relationship with mine as they have had 5 attempts at re-spraying my car and they stil havent got it sorted!!!! i had a total respray cause i wasnt happy with the stone chips in the front so i had them start again, that was 6 months ago, and we 're still trying to get it right, but thats another story!
Also, does any1 know about the organic clutch? that sounds like a jamie oliver endorsed clutch plate, i assume that you get a side of brussel sprouts with it or somthing? thanks again
greg

Nutter_John
08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Ok An oragnic clutch plate reffers to the material used in it's construction , in simple terms they handle the power better than normal clutches

Phone / email Camskill.co.uk and ask them for the prices as they normaly do a good job and beat mitsy

Rikki
08-05-2009, 02:44 PM
i have to ask though, when i phoned mitsubishi here in bristol i was quoted over £400 for the flywheel, is that i definate price of £279 that was quoted there?? If so, could i have the number for your local dealer so i could speak to them.

Well it would appear your man in Bristol is right. I called my local dealer and the price has indeed gone up to £348.54+VAT (£400.82). The reasons for this are mainly the falling price of the pound against the Yen, and the annual 2% price increase. He says Mits have 1 in stock though if you needed it asap.

Camskill have a VR4 one for £225, but I remember from last time he didnt have one for the n/a V6. Might have changed his stock since though.

:afro: