PDA

View Full Version : what to do about the factory screen

dickytim
22-04-2004, 01:37 AM
Has anyone got a VR4 97 with the touch screen climate control ? Has any one removed it ? How easy is it to do ? and what size are the door speakers ?

Lurch
22-04-2004, 01:59 AM
Still have it.. will keep it and get a band expander, has everything else, cd, radio, tape ;)

A shame I can't find a satnav english cd :)

dickytim
22-04-2004, 05:17 AM
if yoy were to come across an english cd e-mail me would be interested

Kieran
22-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Has anyone got a VR4 97 with the touch screen climate control ? Has any one removed it ? How easy is it to do ? and what size are the door speakers ?

Can't remember the size of the door speakers, but I'm sure they're standard size.

In answer to your other questions, no one knows yet... But carry on reading a second...

Project VX (search the site if you don't know what I'm talking about:)) has one of the systems (called the MMCS) installed in it. If you do a search for "MMCS", you'll find lots of information about it, most of it posted by me :-D

In the next few weeks, I intend to relieve the VX of it's MMCS and have a go at blowing up the wiring :lipsrseal .... Err I mean, fitting it to my UK-Spec GLS :$ :rolleyes5 .

My findings, along with handy "How To" guides and pictures will be posted in the members area - if you feel able to part with £6 GBP, you can become a full member and access this area and the wealth of knowledge that's in there;)

i3ooyah
22-04-2004, 08:28 AM
speaker size is 6.5" & u can fit 6" speakers in there as well

dickytim
22-04-2004, 08:25 PM
i was hoping you would say 6.5" as I have a set of 6.5" type x aplines at home and was hopeing not to have to hack up the doors, and I sent my 6 pounds yesterday, cheers guys.

Nick Mann
22-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Splendid twice!!

:p

krisby
26-08-2004, 12:12 AM
Still have it.. will keep it and get a band expander, has everything else, cd, radio, tape ;)

A shame I can't find a satnav english cd :)

what cd player do you have? mine only has the cassette desk, so I need a cd changer, do you know what works with this system? My local car stereo guy reckons on ripping out the cassette deck and popping in another head unit independent of the LCD screen thingy.

Kieran
26-08-2004, 07:57 AM
what cd player do you have? mine only has the cassette desk, so I need a cd changer, do you know what works with this system? My local car stereo guy reckons on ripping out the cassette deck and popping in another head unit independent of the LCD screen thingy.

I wouldn't recommend you do this. Some jap site I found once gave instructions on how to do this on a Grandis that had an MMCS, but never seen one for a galant. And it's not straightforward. One thing I've found is that the whole system is very tightly integrated. The cassette deck is not like your average one from Sony.... There are about six multiplugs that connect to it, and the wiring routes to the aircon, the rear demister, the CD changer, the touchscreen, the air sensors..... Need I go on?

i3ooyah
26-08-2004, 01:03 PM
i dont know where you got your info from?

but ive ripped out the standard tape player & hooked up a mp3 player without any hassles@all

everything still works, even connected the factory cd stacker to the new cd player. the air con doesnt run thru the tape player in order to work its just a straight forward job.

colVR4
26-08-2004, 01:09 PM
I was messing about under the drivers seat yesterday (see reversing sensor thread) and I found a number of connectors that were not connected to anything. Anybody know if these are for the CD multichanger and if so what standard multichangers will fit?

Nick Mann
26-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Are you talking about the system with touchscreen climate control? (MMCS) i.e. the volume and the temperature are controlled from the same box?

If you have a dashboard which has climate control, then a stereo below, then a sunglasses tray, then you are talking about a different system.

colVR4
26-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry Nick, was that directed at me or DickyTim? I have the climate control, radio, sunglasses tray set-up.

dickytim
29-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Krisby, I have my CD stacker at home it should connect up quite easily, It is easy to put an aftermarket CD player in but the factory one is pretty good (for a factory one) I can sell you the stacker if you want to make me an offer :-D

Also I will be in tauranga around the 11-12 Sept if you wanted me to bring it down and make sure it will hook up.

IMO it is a lot better to keep the MMCS set up for the AIR CON etc as it is pretty cool.

Nick Mann
29-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Are you talking about the system with touchscreen climate control? (MMCS) i.e. the volume and the temperature are controlled from the same box?

If you have a dashboard which has climate control, then a stereo below, then a sunglasses tray, then you are talking about a different system.

Sorry, Col. This was directed at i3ooyah

krisby
02-09-2004, 07:00 AM
sweet as, will PM you.

Lurch
02-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Krisby, I have my CD stacker at home it should connect up quite easily, It is easy to put an aftermarket CD player in but the factory one is pretty good (for a factory one) I can sell you the stacker if you want to make me an offer :-D

Also I will be in tauranga around the 11-12 Sept if you wanted me to bring it down and make sure it will hook up.

IMO it is a lot better to keep the MMCS set up for the AIR CON etc as it is pretty cool.

Did you end up selling you cd stacker??? If not let me know what you want for it.. I'm stuck with one that has no cartridge d:(

dickytim
02-09-2004, 08:32 PM
at the moment I am going to let krisby have first dibs on it, if he doesn't want it I will post here.

Cheers Richard

Lurch
08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Nevermind, have ripped out the factory head unit and installed a nice MP3 head unit in it's place ;)

Dirt cheap too.. so very happy chappy :)