PDA

View Full Version : ATF in transfer case !?

-=white-zombie=-
10-05-2009, 07:55 AM
hey all, just changed my diff and transfer case gear oils, and ayc oils today.. and noticed the oil that came from the transfer case was dark red and smelt just like ATF ! whats up with that? ive had the car a year and previous owner said all the fluids where done at midas, well they stuffed this one up... and the ayc clutch oil was black so doubt they even did that, everything else oil wise looked right, rear diff gear oil wasnt too discoloured was browny gear oil coloured..... anyway i have put 80w90 gear oil in transer case and diff gear housing, and sp3 atf in the ayc clutch part, as hydraulic reservoir in boot was still bright red so left it....
car drives way better now seems to put power down faster and tighter.... so would of running atf in transfer for a year or so caused any probs? i have no noise or anything...

bradc
10-05-2009, 09:28 AM
ATF oil is highly refined gear oil designed for a specific task. I doubt it would cause harm to the transfer case by 'under lubing' it, however if it is thicker than normal gear oil it could cause more friction etc.

I'm not really sure if it would in fact be a bad thing or not!

GalantOnly
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
...car drives way better now seems to put power down faster and tighter...

Placebo effect?/pan

AlanDITD
10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I would say placebo effect also, but better to the recomended fluids in the right places.

I feel your pain about the clutch pack oil though, mine bas black also looked like it hadnt been changed ever :(

I dropped the oil in the clutch packs a couple of times after say 50 miles driving just to clear out all the old crap. If you have enough i would say do the same. :D