PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Transmission Cooler - which pipe is feed and return?

Confused
10-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Hi all,

I bolted up my transmission cooler today behind the bumper on the passenger side, but have yet to actually hook it up to the ATF cooler lines.

I'm going to be plumbing it in BEFORE the stock "cooler" in the bottom of the radiator, so that the additional cooler can take the edge off the temperature and the stock one can make sure it's at the right temperature for optimal operation.

But, I'm not sure which pipe is which! ;)

elnevio
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
In Kieran's changing and flushing article (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11295), he connected the drain tube to the return feed from the standard cooler, like so: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6888&d=1123715386.

So the other pipe must be the ATF line from the gearbox to the standard cooler.

Hopefully, Kieran, or another knowledgeable one, can confirm?

Nick Mann
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Sounds sensible to me. If in doubt, only connect one pipe to the cooler, start the car and see if the fluid is squirting from the right hole! That way you will be sure.

I would disconnect the flexible U shaped pipe by the radiator and connect the cooler in there.

elnevio
10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
That's what I'm going to do when mine turns up!

Also, AFAIK, there is no difference (in efficiency terms) which direction the ATF flows through the cooler. Unless for some reason, a one-way valve is installed!

Confused
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Excellent, thanks guys!

I've positioned the cooler so that it will connect straight into the lines coming off the gearbox - whilst still leaving enough there for the box to move about ;)

I'll get some piccies another night :)

Confused
10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
That's what I'm going to do when mine turns up!

Also, AFAIK, there is no difference (in efficiency terms) which direction the ATF flows through the cooler. Unless for some reason, a one-way valve is installed!

Of course the only thing to ensure is that you fit it *before* the stock cooler ;)