PDA

View Full Version : Urgent confirmation required!

elnevio
13-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I am mid-installation of my ATF cooler, and I need some confirmation of which pipes I am connecting it to!

As I seem to recall that BDA's may have been installed AFTER the stock cooler, and the general consensus now is that it should be installed BEFORE the stock cooler to allow the stock cooler to act as a temperature stabilisation device, I believe I have worked it out from Kieran's ATF flush article, which pipes I need to use.

K's article is here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10475

And the picture I am using is from Step 5: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21566&stc=1&d=1206293888

I intend to install the cooler pipes to where the writing has been crossed off (i.e. the lower/nearest pipe in the picture as you look at it).

Is this correct so that the ATF flows from the gearbox, into my new cooler, then into the stock cooler, before returning to the gearbox?

TIA! :thumbsup:

elnevio
13-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Oh yes, and it's raining... /Grrr

crazydriver81
13-05-2009, 08:28 PM
if you want to connect it gearbox-oilcooler-radiator you have to use the pipe which is marked as "drain", so basically the pipe which is sitting nearest to the headlight (or the left on if you look at it from the front... :D

elnevio
13-05-2009, 08:30 PM
But from reading Kieran's article, the 'drain' pipe comes FROM the radiator?

richy rich
13-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Nev the last pipe before the gear box is the one closest to the rad.

crazydriver81
13-05-2009, 08:37 PM
of course you are right, but he sais that he had connected the drain hose to the "pumping side of the return line"...

As there is no pump in the rad, I believe he meant the pump of the gearbox... /pan

I think only Kieran knows for sure.

elnevio
13-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Nev the last pipe before the gear box is the one closest to the rad.
Which is the one marked 'drain' in the that picture, right?

In which case, I want to leave that one alone to install the new cooler BEFORE the rad?

Just want to get it right!

richy rich
13-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes put the cooler in before the rad.

elnevio
13-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm going in!!:rolleyes3

Davezj
13-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I am mid-installation of my ATF cooler, and I need some confirmation of which pipes I am connecting it to!

As I seem to recall that BDA's may have been installed AFTER the stock cooler, and the general consensus now is that it should be installed BEFORE the stock cooler to allow the stock cooler to act as a temperature stabilisation device, I believe I have worked it out from Kieran's ATF flush article, which pipes I need to use.

K's article is here: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10475

And the picture I am using is from Step 5: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21566&stc=1&d=1206293888

I intend to install the cooler pipes to where the writing has been crossed off (i.e. the lower/nearest pipe in the picture as you look at it).

Is this correct so that the ATF flows from the gearbox, into my new cooler, then into the stock cooler, before returning to the gearbox?

TIA! :thumbsup:

If you are stuck and can't figure out which pipe to remove one with the engine running it can be a bit messy but you will be sure it is the correct pipe.

just disconect the pipes at the joint arrowed fill/breather and if ATF comes out of the metal bit of the pipe (connected to Gearbox) when the car revs it is that pipe you fit the cooler in line with.
if it is the rubber curved bit the ATF comes out of (which can be followed back to the Radiator) then you want to fit the cooler in line with the other pipe you haven't disconnected yet.

Hope this makes sense.

Confused
13-05-2009, 09:59 PM
*phew*

I've just done the exact same thing this evening - thing is, I swear that picture has changed since I looked at it before the migration...

So IF the one that's there now is correct (it's the same as an "edited" one by richy_rich), then I have done it correctly... I suddenly remembered *after* I'd done it that the one I thought was originally shown (when I asked a couple of days ago!) as the pipe to drain was the other one - ie after the oem cooler - but I've now done it right! ;)

elnevio
14-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your help people!

I connected the cooler to the two pipes furthest away from the engine. Getting the cooler into the gap was well fiddly! Went for the approach of loosening the intercooler, getting a wedge of wood to lever some more space, and just squeezing the cooler in from underneath.

I was a little worried at first, as the new pipes, whilst snug on the cooler, were quite loose on the Leggie's ATF lines. I did the jubilee clips up very tight and idled the car for twenty minutes or so, during which time I reassembled everything I had taken off! No leaks!

Have been for a run to Tesco - making sure I, er, warmed it up a bit...

No probs whatsoever. Happy boy!!

Taking it to work tomorrow, as it is a 30 mile round trip, and will check to see that everything is ok with it, seeing as we are heading South on Friday!

Thanks again for your input! :iloveyou:

richy rich
14-05-2009, 08:29 AM
To check for any leaks Nev, can you get someone to sit in the car with foot on brake in rev with a bit of throttle.

elnevio
14-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Cheers Richy!

All four new connections (2x new cooler pipes and 2x original ATF pipes) are leak free and dry as a bone - and I have been checking repeatedly! Car is now sat in work's car park after enjoying a 'spirited' drive in places! :D

zentac
14-05-2009, 08:59 AM
On the FTO the stock ATF cooler is in the bottom of the radiator, if its the same with the VR4 then I would by-pass it all together as they are prone to blockages. Thats what Ive done on my 5 speed Tip FTO that I use for trackdays.

Turbo_Steve
14-05-2009, 03:11 PM
The reason we're all retaining it is that it appears to help the gearbox up-to-temperature on a normal road car. The radiator heats up in minutes.....without it's help, the gearbox is likely to take a lot longer. Factor in that the max oil temperature for the gearbox is huge (180degrees+) against the relatively cool 120degree temperature of the radiator too.

miller
17-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Nev,

Have you any links to the kit you bought to complete this?

Cheers

Mike

elnevio
17-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Nev,

Have you any links to the kit you bought to complete this?

Cheers

Mike
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=436064#post436064