PDA

View Full Version : any advice please.......

bakerboy-2007
15-05-2009, 01:04 AM
my leggie has just developed a scary whining noise on the rear when i power off a roundabout or power round a right hand bend, i have eased off and the noise stops, peddle down my walett sh*ts itself, has anyone got any ideas as to what might cause it, i have just had her back from fulll service and they cautioned the rear diff gator as leaking could this be the problem????
any advice will help
cheers

Nutter_John
15-05-2009, 02:19 AM
I'd check the AYC fuild , it could be low , or it could be that your rear diff is on it's way out

hi flyer
15-05-2009, 03:37 AM
sounds like the AYC. Would suggest replacing the seal thats leaking and doing an oil change.

miller
15-05-2009, 08:39 AM
When i bought mine it had a squeal from the rear whence on three bars AYC. AYC Fluid change sorted that, never happened since

Mike

richy rich
15-05-2009, 09:51 AM
my leggie has just developed a scary whining noise on the rear when i power off a roundabout or power round a right hand bend, i have eased off and the noise stops, peddle down my walett sh*ts itself, has anyone got any ideas as to what might cause it, i have just had her back from fulll service and they cautioned the rear diff gator as leaking could this be the problem????
any advice will help
cheers
The leak on the rear diff will be the problem get that sorted asap or you could be looking at a new diff.
Get that fixed and then flush the ayc clutch pack and that should sort it.

Were are you in the uk.

MPBVr4
15-05-2009, 09:53 AM
What Mike said.

My car squeeled like a Banshee when I first got it especially when exiting a roundabout in hurry:smash:

Changed the clutch pack oil (ATF) twice. Silent now with 3 bars up.

bakerboy-2007
15-05-2009, 09:53 PM
:3d: hi i am in shrewsbury no real mitsubishi garage in town just a dealership, i use a local garage with 25 yrs history the guys there had never seen a leggie beast till i introduced them they have been great but the ayc system is a blank there....anyone know anywhere local to me other than the garage in coventry that advertises on ebay???i can do most fixes myself but changing the ayc fluid is over my head a bit........thanks for the advice

bradc
15-05-2009, 10:16 PM
It is actually quite simple, just like draining a normal diff. Open up one hole and the oil comes out, shut it and open another hole, then fill with Amsoil ATF.

bakerboy-2007
15-05-2009, 10:21 PM
thanks....will take a look when it stops raining here.....british summer bah humbug

richy rich
15-05-2009, 11:36 PM
:3d: hi i am in shrewsbury no real mitsubishi garage in town just a dealership, i use a local garage with 25 yrs history the guys there had never seen a leggie beast till i introduced them they have been great but the ayc system is a blank there....anyone know anywhere local to me other than the garage in coventry that advertises on ebay???i can do most fixes myself but changing the ayc fluid is over my head a bit........thanks for the advice
Your not far from me.

Davezj
16-05-2009, 10:50 AM
if it is a drive shaft oil seal then be careful which one you buy. ASA says the right and left ones a different part numbers on the ayc diff, but the LSD diff has the same seal for both sides.

1996 auto pre facelift AYC diff PNC 34109L (MD707184) PNC 34109R (MD755526)
L=left R=right when sitting in the car.

there is a left one on ebay at the moment see link below
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220409531211

hope this helps.

Keep the rep coming!

danwins224
23-09-2009, 01:31 PM
It is actually quite simple, just like draining a normal diff. Open up one hole and the oil comes out, shut it and open another hole, then fill with Amsoil ATF.

I'm having the same problem, and reading through the threads I thought it was a 2 man job, all four wheels up, engine running, and messing around with nipples (dont say it!!! lol)
are these 2 different procedures to do the same job, the right way and the CVR4 way?:thumbsup:

AlanDITD
23-09-2009, 01:51 PM
your talking about the pump fluid not the clutch packs

Two differnt systems to differnet methods

White Lightning
23-09-2009, 01:55 PM
And me ... started having a problem at the 'Ring whenever I was turning hard right and at least one AYC bar lite up I was getting donkey noises from the rear.

Reading on the MLR last night it seems it's very common and 99 times out of 100 an AYC clutch fluid change will sort it.

There are three lots of fluids associated with the rear diff to be aware of. There is the normal diff oil, AYC clutch pack and AYC pump fluid. It's the pump fluid that requires bleeding when it is changed but it does not need doing often.

Changing the AYC clutch pack (easy drop and refill) should sort the noise :thumbsup:

danwins224
23-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Right, so the whinning noise from the AYC when I get 2 green bars up, is that just a simple drop the oil and refill, or messing around on the floor playing with nipples?

danwins224
23-09-2009, 02:00 PM
White Lightning "Changing the AYC clutch pack (easy drop and refill) should sort the noise "

answered my question before I got time to ask it!!! hehe

White Lightning
23-09-2009, 02:02 PM
:D

Just out of interest, do you get the noise when turning left and right or just in one direction?

TAR
23-09-2009, 03:47 PM
White Lightning "Changing the AYC clutch pack (easy drop and refill) should sort the noise "

answered my question before I got time to ask it!!! hehe

Just to mention - the fill bolt on the ayc clutch pack is quite diffcult to access and may be quite tight.

Please be sure you can undo this bolt BEFORE you open the drain bolt!!

:happy:

Dom B
23-09-2009, 04:14 PM
You will need some sort of squeezy bottle and pipe to refill it too as it is a real pain to get to.

danwins224
23-09-2009, 04:41 PM
great, fill me full of confidence before I even start! :laugh:

yeah, only seem to get it when turning right, but only when its reading 2 bars on the AYC, oh, and when it happens I will have 1 AYC bar lit, even when driving in a straight line, but will flick off when I turn left or right, but will come back on when I straighten up, lasts about a mile before it settles down again.

AYC fluid is just below the full mark, and all the tyres are new, same tread and pressures are 36 at front and 34 at rear.